Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

After Removing Shift Lever Knob - It's Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After Removing Shift Lever **** - It's Not Working

Hello,

I removed the front console on my 2000 honda civic because the bulb in the shift indicator panel had gone out. In order to do that, I removed the shift lever ****.

I got to the bulb, found it online, and ordered a replacement. Then the fun began.

I was unable to reinstall the shift lever ****. The lever simply would not co-operate. The lever suddenly was too long by about 1/8 of an inch.

I did some research, and I've come to the conclusion that I may have bumped something while removing the console. Here is a link & quote:

If you lift up on the metal piece [the lever] you can pull out a pin that is deep within the shifter assembly. Once that pin kicks loose your shifter will never fully go back into park. I understand that the white piece can move but I suggest not touching ANYTHING in fear of moving the metal piece. I know this because I did it on my 2002 V6 Accord Coupe and had to pay $$$ to get it fixed back in the day.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/tried-changing-auto-shift-knob-i-screwed-up-please-help-2268125/

The thread has a link to a company's website, where they warn in red letters not bump the lever at Step #11:

http://www.tasauto.com/Tech/Default.aspx?ID=1

The shifter works fine except for going from Park to N. After that it goes between the other gears fine.

Can anyone help? Thanks.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:16 AM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: After Removing Shift Lever **** - It's Not Working

Push the "button" in and push down. I've never had any issues pulling and replacing them.

Leave that white piece alone but it's not going to suddenly break because you bumped it.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Confession is good for the soul, but hard on the reputation.

I figured out the source of my problem.

When I go from park to other gears, I need to put my foot on the brake. As I was on my knees with my nose two inches from the shifter assembly, moving the shift lever and studying it, at times, with a magnifying glass, I simply forgot this.

But, I can't be too embarrassed. As I worked on this non-problem from 11PM last night until around 7 AM this morning, reading my service manual, on the net, and trying things on the car, I kept seeing other reports of people having this "problem." Nowhere did I see a clear and simple response:

"Hey Stoopid, when you put the keys in, and put your foot on the brake, the white thingie will open up, and there won't be a problem."

Around 2 AM I unfortunately came upon the thread which I quoted from and linked above, at which time I began hunting in earnest for the unicorn "pin that is deep within the shifter assembly".

Completely drained, at 7:30 central time I actually called and emailed the company linked on that thread. The customer service person put my question to the tech who, I believe, wrote those words. I got an email back saying that the tech didn't know where this mysterious pin was. How could a mechanic for a company which sells that product not know this? I'm now convinced that his comment may have been totally incorrect.

If the shift lever was that sensitive, it would malfunction whenever if got bumped, whether the shift lever **** was on or off. We know that the levers aren't sensitive to getting bumped like that. If they were it would be generally known.

Also on the thread a member named bsivoljr says:

That is so dumb, if you look on the stick with the midconsole removed there is a little hole where if you pull the white part out a part of it that sticks out and locks on the stick would be pulled inside. Looks like you just have to push it and twist it around until it pops back out of that hole on the side of the stick. Noob stuff
I'm very sorry I saw that response. I wasted considerable time trying to make sense of it. I printed it out and sat in my car trying to figure it out. I'm now convinced the comment is worthless gibberish.

I wish that thread could be taken down, or at least edited. The oversight of the opening poster is the same one I made: there isn't a problem, the mechanism just appears to be broken, because the keys aren't in, and the brake isn't depressed.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:20 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

It happens to the best of us.
Sometimes taking a step back and giving it a rest reveals the mistakes.
Glad you were able to figure it out.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:14 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't be embarrassed at all, buddy. We've all been there many times.

A manufacture would never make something like that so sensitive. If anything they need to be stronger because it will be bumped, hit and all of the above on a daily basis.
I've hit mine more time then I can count over the years.

Glad you got it figured out.