Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Aem short ram vs civic oem box with kn&n filter vs integra box with kn&n

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aem short ram vs civic oem box with kn&n filter vs integra box with kn&n

which one would be beter ? aem short ram vs civic oem box with kn&n filter with inegra tube vs integra box with kn&n filter with stock tube or aem short ram in the integra stock box?
Old 03-18-2011, 07:09 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Aem short ram vs civic oem box with kn&n filter vs integra box with kn&n

Stock box with filter.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Aem short ram vs civic oem box with kn&n filter vs integra box with kn&n

more info and why would stock box would be beter im using integra tb so i only can use integra tube with either civic or integra box??
Old 03-18-2011, 10:24 PM
Master Detailer

What do you plan on doing with the car? What motor do you have?

With my short ram, which was a Injen, I lost MPG, and it felt like it made my car slower.
I am speaking from the butt dyno, and have not dyno proof of any performance gain, or loose.

For me with my daily driver, it makes no sence for me to have my short ram on the car.

I don't really care for the loud noise that it makes, and the unwanted antension that it gets me. For most people there is no reason to use a aftermarket intake, even than, look into a CIA. Cold air intake.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i just want a lil more power but some people say intake dont help and other say it do but im thinkin it depends on what kind of filter you have i just wanted to know if it dont help then imma just hand it down to my friends since they wanna look all race out lol....
Old 03-19-2011, 12:00 PM
Master Detailer

In that case, try it out. I tried mine out, and what a waste of $150 that was.

I see a lot of people do it, just to get that sound. I have driven by people and had the intake whistle. just to have some kid ask how much boost I'm running.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Stock integra box with k&n filter.

With no resonator of course, and you can maybe make a little cold air tube for it.

Don't bother with a short ram, unless its a cheap ebay one with a good filter and velocity stack.
Old 03-19-2011, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well im asking good thing i got it for free well does anybody know a cheap place i can get a knn filter for integra?
Old 03-19-2011, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jdmeg6honda
well im asking good thing i got it for free well does anybody know a cheap place i can get a knn filter for integra?
Ebay was the cheapest I could find. But advance and autozone usually have them if you are in a hurry.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ebay 3" tube and BPi stack w/ filter. Best combo hands down for the $$
Old 03-19-2011, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 93egSLEEPER
Ebay 3" tube and BPi stack w/ filter. Best combo hands down for the $$
honestly your buying the aem expensive intakes just for the filter/carb legal sticker.. and imho cai is best unless your area rains a lot, but i've driven mine in the rain and you gotta be on the gas a lot to hydrolock or going submarine mode.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

K&N filters are not my personal favorite. Project Car Magazine did a dyno test with K&N filters on a DC2 and the test showed that the filter actually made the car lose power over stock
Old 03-19-2011, 08:49 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by phoxking
honestly your buying the aem expensive intakes just for the filter/carb legal sticker.. and imho cai is best unless your area rains a lot, but i've driven mine in the rain and you gotta be on the gas a lot to hydrolock or going submarine mode.
IMO doesn't mean anything. Browse the N/A forums for a while and you'll find that a tuned length short ram with a velocity stack is the best thing going for honda induction systems.

@OP: Don't waste your time with frilly bolt ons. Even in b-series there ar more "bang for your buck" options. Save up for a good set of cams or something.

If you have a d-series don't even bother. Keep saving for a swap or turbo.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ek forever guy
If you have a d-series don't even bother. Keep saving for a swap or turbo.
D-Series isnt that bad. True builders dont disappoint
Old 03-19-2011, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check this out pimp, its my DIY cold air intake, but I dont know if it actually works or not who knows....lol
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/random-cai-question-2903603/
Old 03-19-2011, 10:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

short air or cold air intake would be better?
Old 03-20-2011, 12:37 AM
Master Detailer

Originally Posted by mavvrik
For an intake , yes they are. They are noithing more than expensive noise makers.
Trust me, Im not talking out my ***. I have a single, had a intake. The stock is now back on and Im not looking back.

Leave it alone. There is no reason to put a intake on it. You will not see anything from it. Except for some dumb *** asking you how much boost your running when he hears your car whistle. Ask me how I know that.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

With my short ram, which was a Injen, I lost MPG, and it felt like it made my car slower.
Ill second that. I put a Injen filter on my stock piping in my y8 i used to have. Then I made an aluminum "short ram" intake. I did research and made it the RIGHT way, and all that fun jazz. I had an Injen filter on it. Sounded cool, I guess, but it made the car slower, Both ways... . Not like it was fast in the first place, but you get the idea.

It felt like the low end was gone, and top end was just...poopy. I threw the stock stuff back on before I got rid of it and got what little HP/TQ i lost back. Mind you I didnt bother putting the stock piping/box thats in the bumper back in. Just put a good filter in your stock piping and call it a day.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:41 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Originally Posted by mavvrik
True builders leave their d-series alone until they boost it, or swap it with an engine that actually responds to bolt ons.

Most bolt ons put on a d-series just shift the powerband. You seldom actually gain power across the whole thing.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you never dyno'd it you can't tell me you lost tq/hp because you think you did. when it was probably just moved elsewhere.

a cheap short ram, vstack, and filter will be the best. and can be had for about 80 bucks. depending on where you go and if you score some deals.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:37 AM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 98civdx
Stock box with filter.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

CAI or stock box.
I ran a SRI on mine, I got no difference in the top end and felt a power loss in the bottom end (no dyno proof). Now back to stock box and $130 wasted.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you want to really test the theory really bad and not was $100's then just buy the autozone SRI setup and try it.. i used that for a while on my car until i boosted it.. it did fine on my car..

the main reason people are losing power is because the car is choking itself.. they buy a intake but dont have anything to help the car exhale.. i had the autozone intake system with a itr header, a buddyclub catback with a testpipe, and cam gears and i made 35whp more than a stock GSR did (165whp) and i have sheets in my garage somewhere..
Old 03-20-2011, 11:50 AM
Master Detailer

^Was there tuning involved?
Old 03-20-2011, 12:12 PM
Ek Forever y0!

What a myth. "Your intake won't do anything unless you have exhaust too."

Both mods will compliment each other.

You also have a b-series. They respond much better to bolt ons than a d-series.

4-5whp is to be expected from an intake on a b18c1.

I would wager that most of your 35whp gains on your gsr motor were due to the cams.

Quick Reply: Aem short ram vs civic oem box with kn&n filter vs integra box with kn&n