Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Acquired a 94 Civic Si Coupe as a DD...question on removal of A/C

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acquired a 94 Civic Si Coupe as a DD...question on removal of A/C

The complete Air conditioning system

I bought a 94 Civic Si Coupe, just a daily driver nothing to special when I bought it, all I did to is put on Neuspeed Sport springs and a OEM ITR air intake/minor bore out TB...well that is all...its automatic and no need to dump any more money...so onto other minor things

but there is something I would like to be done, when I bought the car the owner had told me that Air conditioning on the car has not been working in 2 years or more and so he cut the belt....

so to make things a little bit more cleaner under the hood and not try to fix the thing, I would to like remove the whole the system

so to anyone who has done this before, what is need to be done other then the obvious removal of the air compressor

how about the AC lines under the hood, can that come off as one as well?

Question about the Radiator, do I need to get a new Rad as well, one from a Civic that never had AC? (I was thinking of getting a Del Sol dual core)

is there a DIY maybe that can help with the steps on how to do this?

Old 02-19-2008, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

they made a 94 si coupe???
Old 02-19-2008, 07:44 PM

Default Re: (redrocket_ej1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by redrocket_ej1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">they made a 94 si coupe???</TD></TR></TABLE>
maybe its the canadian si (us ex) because thats the only auto si ive heard of. idk.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (1988_96hb)

if you want to remove the a/c, you can take everything off that is related to the a/c. condenser (the thing that looks like a radiator that the ac lines run to), all the lines, and the compressor. I thought about removing mine once cause it wasnt working, turned out to be an easy fix. I love my ac in the summer.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Acquired a 94 Civic Si Coupe as a DD...question on removal of A/C (EL-Driver)

I would first try to find out why the system is not working. Normally the condenser couplers will rattle loose and cause a leak. A/C is a good thing to have, and I would suggest keeping it. Not only does it cool, but it helps dehumidify the car, keeping the windows from fogging up. If you do still plan to remove it, make sure the system is not charged. And if it does have a charge, to get it vacuumed out.

Depending on the type of refrigerant used, refrigerants can create poisonous gases with heat, or become highly explosive. (normally the case for people who buy those aftermarket refrigerant cans that are not specifically labeled R-12 or R-134a, many cans like this can contain propane, butane, and isobutane.) Do not vent the system, its not worth the risk, both to your health and to your pocket book.

Everything can be taken out of the engine bay, the compressor, the condenser, the lines, the metering block and pressure switch. (Upon removal, seal off these items and you can resell them to someone that wants them, they can be worth quite a bit. The receiver/dryer canister near the windshield washer tank can also come out, but it is near useless once exposed to air.

The evaporator will require removal of dash components, so many opt to leave this in place.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Acquired a 94 Civic Si Coupe as a DD...question on removal of A/C (slowcivic2k)

That is correct the car is and myself are Canadian

the compressor, the condenser, the lines, the metering block and pressure switch
&
receiver/dryer canister + I wont go as far as removing components inside the car, would rather just take everything I can out of the motor.

about the lines, is it just a simple removal and no need to replace anything?

and what about the radiator?

the condenser in the car from what I can see has a small dent & the pulley needs to be changed. so yup gonna ditch it!
Old 01-25-2013, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Acquired a 94 Civic Si Coupe as a DD...question on removal of A/C

you dont need to replace anything, the radiator is the same. I would consider fixing it though. as someone stated, it does keep moisture out of the inside of the car. It will cycle every so often with the windshield defrost on. Why dont you see if you have an issue with the windows fogging up before you rip it all out.

did i really just do that---holy thread revival batman

Last edited by whatsthatnoise; 01-25-2013 at 09:12 PM. Reason: doh!
Old 01-26-2013, 04:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Atleast its not from 04 like alot of the people tend to do on here
Old 01-26-2013, 05:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by whatsthatnoise
you dont need to replace anything, the radiator is the same. I would consider fixing it though. as someone stated, it does keep moisture out of the inside of the car. It will cycle every so often with the windshield defrost on. Why dont you see if you have an issue with the windows fogging up before you rip it all out.

did i really just do that---holy thread revival batman
LMFAO!!!! good stuff....