Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

accelerator sticking

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default accelerator sticking

In my fiancee's 97 civic and her parent's 99, the accelerator likes to 'stick' in the idle position, making for sometimes jerky starts... anyone else have this issue and have a solution?

Last edited by ChevelleSSLS6; 11-09-2009 at 08:32 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:44 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: accelerator sticking

Originally Posted by ChevelleSSLS6
In my fiancee's 97 civic and her parent's 99, the accelerator likes to 'stick' in the idle position, making or sometimes jerky starts... anyone else have this issue and have a solution?
when the butterfly in the throttle body is closed (idle), the edges of the butterfly most likely are sticking to some sort of carbon or varnish deposits in the bore.

this is not necessarily how i'd do it, but the closest to a n00b-friendly process would be- remove the throttle body by disengaging the throttle cable and unbolting the throttle body from the intake manifold.. take the MAP sensor off of it. take a rag and soak it in carb cleaner, twist the throttle rotor so the plate is open, and clean the edges of the plate and, most importantly, the throttle body bore WELL, removing any crap in the process. i guess you could spray the whole thing down in there to try to blast any dirt that is hanging around near the pivot points. then hang the MAP back on it (careful to not overtighten those little bolts) and reinstall the TB back onto the intake manifold.

while you are at it, if it allows, slide the rubber boot up where the throttle cable enters the adjuster area, and throw some grease in there in the tube side of the throttle cable casing. you also might want to lightly lubricate the throttle rotor side where the butterfly connects with some sort of light grease or oil. the key word is lube LIGHTLY.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Instead of just totally soaking the throttle body, how about just being more careful and using Q-tips or something to clean around the butterfly valve. And don't spray oil on the throttle body, mine was all gunked up with greasy filthy crud. Clean it up good with carb cleaner or something else that won't leave a buildup and if anything, find a dry lubricant.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine use to stick at around 2grand then i tap on the accelerator lightly and it goes away.
It was the throttle rotor no shutting all the way.
Theres a bolt/nut under it that you can adjust.
Just another thought