Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

ABS ????

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS ????

HEy guys i got a 92 civic with rear disk off a gsr and i was wondering if there is anyway to instal abs on to it cause i need better braking thanks
Old 04-06-2006, 01:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: ABS ???? (maluseanjohn516)

ABS will not give you better braking. It just prevents your brakes from locking up under hard braking. You can't just install ABS. There are so many parts you have to install.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ABS ftw!

sorry can't help ya
Old 04-06-2006, 03:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've seen ABS installations done, it is a long, lengthy, and tiring process (worse than a motor swap by FAR)

I don't even know how to start it so I can't help you, but I can tell you that turning it off is easy, turning it on (on a car that doesn't have it) is a biiiiiiiiiiitch and a half, just don't think about it, or think about paying somebody that charges more than honda, you'll have to get really lucky and run into an car expert to do it, I mean like better than honda's people and such, so many things to add, it's tied into the braking system with the computer and all, u need a new braking system....

Anyways, I woulud just stick w/o ABS

Also, it won't help you stop better, as long as you don't slam the brakes to the floor and lock all the wheels up (push it down until it's about to lock (you'll feel it), and if it does lock, take ur foot off and put it back on.....takes some getting used to, go onto a barroned stretch of road or empty parking lto to practice emergency stopping with no ABS

No I haven't done this yet.....but I intend to give it a shot (lots of deer where I live, that's why I only got comprehension on the car :-O)

Another thing is, since u have drumbs in the back (92) does that somebody taught me is when you have to stop short, pull the hand-brake up all the way, the rear wheels will lock, wait like a full second (when emergency stopping a full second is a lot) and then jerk the wheel to the left if it's a car or other obstruction (so this way the passenger door hits it) (unless you have somebody in the car..or even if u do..) or pull it to the right if it's a deer or other obstruction to that effect so if anything your front wheels move off the road a bit but you avoid contact with oncoming traffic

You have to adjust each way per situation
Oh yeah, and after ur perpendicular to the road, turn the wheel into the slide (the direction you were going before pulling the e-brake) so you don't end up with a 180º or a 160º and end up rolling into oncoming traffic, and use the front brakes when u do this to lock the fronts up, if done right, saves lives

I hearby remove myself from any responsibility of you doing any of the events listed above, I am not trying to aid in the event of an accident in any way, shape or form. I am not soliciting any of the events listed above and am not pushing you to do so nor recommend them under any circumstances

with that outta the way, making the right decision is up to u

Scratch that GSR discs.........scratch that last paragraph....or 2, the one about e-brakes and short stopping, just pump the brake, gl, don't hit anything, and no, ABS won't improove your braking if you know how to not lock up the brakes (seriously, take it to a open stretch of road (that's not used), or an air strip, or something to that effect

uhh gl
Old 04-06-2006, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

all of you are wrong, ABS will always reduce stopping distance. most abs systems can process vehicle speed and adjust system pressure about 16 times per second. how many people do you know that are that quick. you can stomp the brakes w/ abs using 100% brake pressure and not lock them up. w/out abs you cant. point is ABS reduces braking distance dramatically. i still dont suggest adding it on a car. so many components have to be changed as well as a million wires.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:50 AM

Default Re: (schardbody)

so does anyone have a write up on this can anyone help me out thanks
Old 04-06-2006, 09:46 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Another thing is, since u have drumbs in the back (92) does that somebody taught me is when you have to stop short, pull the hand-brake up all the way, the rear wheels will lock, wait like a full second (when emergency stopping a full second is a lot) and then jerk the wheel to the left if it's a car or other obstruction (so this way the passenger door hits it) (unless you have somebody in the car..or even if u do..) or pull it to the right if it's a deer or other obstruction to that effect so if anything your front wheels move off the road a bit but you avoid contact with oncoming traffic

You have to adjust each way per situation
Oh yeah, and after ur perpendicular to the road, turn the wheel into the slide (the direction you were going before pulling the e-brake) so you don't end up with a 180º or a 160º and end up rolling into oncoming traffic, and use the front brakes when u do this to lock the fronts up, if done right, saves lives</TD></TR></TABLE>
You can't turn while your wheels are locked. That's the entire point of ABS, it allows you to maneuver the car under extreme braking because the wheels aren't locked.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by schardbody &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">all of you are wrong, ABS will always reduce stopping distance. most abs systems can process vehicle speed and adjust system pressure about 16 times per second. how many people do you know that are that quick. you can stomp the brakes w/ abs using 100% brake pressure and not lock them up. w/out abs you cant. point is ABS reduces braking distance dramatically.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Um, no - especially with the crappy 3-channel system that Honda equips most if its cars with. A hard stop with full engagement of the ABS will take the same distance to complete as a stop done with perfect threshold braking. ABS does NOT decrease stopping distances "dramatically" over proper driving techniques. The issue is that very few people know the limits of their car and are not experienced with threshold braking, so ABS is necessary for them to maintain more control in an emergency.

I've had plenty of experience driving Honda cars with and without ABS - the only Honda ABS systems that have ever impressed me are those on the ITR and S2000.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

in a "panic" stop, where the driver isnt "ready" to hit the brakes to the threshold ABS will decrease braking distance dramatically. now if we are talking about auto'x or road coarse whatever w/ a skilled driver no there wont be much of a differance. i was only talking everday driving where panic stops are sometimes present.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've definately fo und that the one or 2 times i had to do a panic stop using the e-brake and turning the wheel, it worked, ABS or not

and no, ABS doesn't "slow down the stopping distance dramatically" unless you got a retard at the wheel who mashes the brake down w/o ABS and locks all 4 :-\