Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

99 Si B16 idle problem need help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 05:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 99 Si B16 idle problem need help!!!!

I have a 1999 Civic Si with the B16. So far so good, huh. Here's where it gets bad. For the past few months every once in a while after sitting at idle for a while it would 'surge' from 1200 to 1800. If you shut it off it was fine but if you couldn't you would run a chance of it 'lobeing' (sp?) when it started lobeing (having an asthma attack) it would idle faster at a shorter rpm range (1000 to 1200 for example...I was usually to busy cussing at it and trying to pull over to shut it off to watch the tach) If you could not immediately pull over and were driving it would pull the gas pedal from under you and jerk the car, then it would jerk again and give the pedal back so to speak. Like I said that part didn't happen often and I shut it off. I do not have dash lights - never have, I am trying to rebuild this car piece by piece since the moron that had it before me screwed it. I think part of the dash light issue traces back to the aftermarket radio but that is for another time. My dad has an OBD2 tester so I borrowed it and these came up...

P0133 Primary Heated Oxygen Sensor (Bank 1, Sensor 1) Circuit Slow Response
P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold
P0505 Idle Control System Malfunction

Had the cat replaced - NO CHANGE still same codes
Replaced the #1 O2 sensor (upstream) - header not cat

Now my car doesn't even need to warm up just goes right into 'surge mode' immediately only NOW we are going from 2100 to 2800 rpm YAAAAY but trying to drive it around the block to see if it just needed to be reset I found out that it runs FINE as long as you are on the pedal. Take your foot off even to slow down and it is surging. Drove it for a day like this with no change after resetting the codes and still nothing.

Took off my IACV and cleaned it with brake parts cleaner because I was told (you need a what? those don't go bad, the spring might be dirty clean that and you will be fine).

Here is where we stand:::::

Now I start my car (from cold OR warm) and it begins idle at 3000 RPM, holds steady for 5 seconds then drops out to 1800 and the surging begins now from 1900 to 2900 right away. Drove it in to work this morning because it is my daily and it is fine when you are driving still just does not like when you take your foot off the pedal, starts the surging, was getting ready to go into the lobeing thing once but that was the first time since changing all this out. I cannot downshift, it jerks too bad with the surging and the higher rpm due to the downshifting so I have to stop it like it is auto. I just want this damn thing to pass emissions. They are causing me all this headache and $$$$$$$!! Everything for the Si is special order so I can't just go in and say uuuh hey let me get an AICV then take it home, try it out determine if that is the prob then take it back if not. I have to order everything for it and if they have to stock it the throw a fit, etc.

Please help!!!!!!!! I haven't been able to re-code it since cleaning out the AICV because my dad need the tester for a day or so but I will re-code as soon as I get that back to see what the new 'diagnosis' is.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:55 AM

Default Re: 99 Si B16 idle problem need help!!!!

have u checked for any air leaks?
Old 03-25-2009, 06:45 AM

Haven't done any in depth tracing of all the vac lines and hoses but looked everything over and didn't see anything at first glance. Were trying to get it to simply pass emissions and now the poor baby is sick lol. I just don't get it. Looks like that will be one of the next jobs on the list. OOH and the Chilton doesn't help unless you have the D16. We are relying more on the acura portion of the book because the civic stuff does not apply. WHAT A MESS!
Old 03-25-2009, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Like DT said, check for any manifold leaks. Also check for any air pockets in the cooling system. Try bleeding it if there is. If that is OK, replace your IAC. Yes, they do go bad.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Replace your PCV valve. and report back.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:43 PM

I broke down and ordered the AICV, $170 it will be here tomorrow. I will prob replace the PCV too, until the AICV comes in tomorrow in the garage is where the car will stay. Makes no sense to do any more harm by driving.

And by that first sentence it means I spent the money not I was stranded on the side of the road lol

Last edited by SonyaE; 03-25-2009 at 04:44 PM. Reason: not clear
Old 03-25-2009, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Are D-series and b-series IACV's the same?
Old 03-26-2009, 11:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by angel_i
Are D-series and b-series IACV's the same?

i beleive bolt pattern is diff. at least on my gsr skunk2 mani it is. offset is a bit diff
Old 03-26-2009, 11:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check this site for reference... i posted it in another thread of yours too

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_.../4000/4771.pdf
Old 03-31-2009, 06:47 AM

Back on the street yesterday. Much better, we are back to idle at 700-800 rpm steady. No jumping, no asthma attacks, and no hyperventilation!!! Few more kinks to work out and we are back on track!!!! This weekend::: cv and brakes!
Old 03-31-2009, 06:58 AM

subscribed....I got the same problem in my b16a crx...
Old 03-31-2009, 07:09 AM
Carcrazy1

It is but sure that the nag is in the vaccume hoses and lines.

Get it thoroghly checked for air leaks
Old 04-09-2009, 12:44 PM

I also have a 99 EM1 and while idling on my way home from an autocross last weekend the car threw a code and about .3-.4 seconds later began to idle around 1500rpm. Leaving idle the car did stumble until above ~2000rpm where it would behave normally except for the as-described on/off throttle sensitivity. The car pulled normally and ran otherwise fine so I drove it back to the garage and it has sat there since the weekend. I pulled the code P0505 Idle Air Control Sys Malfunction and since I had cleaned my TB and intake recently assume its the IAC valve. I had suspect that the IAC valve was on its way as the car had idled as low as 500rpm on a couple of occaisions, but never threw a code or persisted. One is on order and I should have it in next week. I will report back but it is a fairly common issue amongst B16s.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:14 AM

Update:
I replaced the IAC valve and made certain the ports were clean which they were. Cleared the ECU and drove the car for about 150 miles and then the code P0505 returned along with the high idle and on/off throttle sensitivity. Being certain it was not a faulty IAC I performed the factory service manual diagnosis flowchart and was unable to reproduce the problem. I reset the ECU again and put another 300 miles on several drive cycles. So far the code hasn't returned and I'm considering it an isolated problem now, possibly due to just pulling the car out of storage for the winter.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:53 AM
New User

Icon3 Re: 99 Si B16 idle problem need help!!!!

Hey guys i bought a jdm b16 and im kind of thinking I got screwed over. the car doesnt idle right at all what so ever. It feels like its choking. I even went ahead and replaced the iac, and it still seems to be doing the sameproblem. Under the hood, there are a lot of things that seemed unhooked and just dont seem right. I have no clue on what to do I would like somebody to review the pictures. Im thinking maybe its the intake manifold? cuz the b16 si intake manifolds seem a little different. And the intake manifold in my car is different and doesnt seem to be one for a b16. If anyone could help it would be appreciated. I mean these engines are stock like 170 hp and for some reason the acceleration SUCKS. PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP!!!

( if you look in the pictures you will that little denso thing not hooked up and it seems like there are hoses that go to it.

PICTURES:

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Semab Q.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:03 PM
New User

Do you happen to know this!!!!

My 93´Honda civic SI, (167,000 kilometers) engine (D16A92100236) consumes a lot of gas about 25 kilometers per gallon (kpg), it used to be around 45 kpg. Some day two (2) moths ago when returning from a 4 hour trip thru a highway the check engine light remained on and never got off. This one was an IAC problem, after the Mechanic repaired it, all mornings the engine idles too high at 1500 rpm, after 30 minutes of running the idle finally lowers to 500 rpm. (That time is very long)
U think that I should change the IAC, as it could be the source of the high gas consumption in my Honda?, I took it to another mechanics and I explained to him the whole story, he said back that the IAC is working properly and instead I should replace the FIT valve and the thermostat, this is how I would be able to improve my Honda´s gas fuel consumption. Any other ideas how to encounter the source of the problem?
Old 11-18-2009, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wunflysi
Hey guys i bought a jdm b16 and im kind of thinking I got screwed over. the car doesnt idle right at all what so ever. It feels like its choking. I even went ahead and replaced the iac, and it still seems to be doing the sameproblem. Under the hood, there are a lot of things that seemed unhooked and just dont seem right. I have no clue on what to do I would like somebody to review the pictures. Im thinking maybe its the intake manifold? cuz the b16 si intake manifolds seem a little different. And the intake manifold in my car is different and doesnt seem to be one for a b16. If anyone could help it would be appreciated. I mean these engines are stock like 170 hp and for some reason the acceleration SUCKS. PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP!!!

( if you look in the pictures you will that little denso thing not hooked up and it seems like there are hoses that go to it.

PICTURES:

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Semab Q.

what year b16 is this? is it a 99-00 si? thye unhooked sensor is for your evap emissions...however your intake mani doesnt seem obd2 to me. theres no connection on top for the hoses to go on that sensor
Old 11-19-2009, 05:44 PM
New User

Yeh its a 99 si b16 motor. Yeh i realized that the intake manifold isnt the obd2 one. already ordered a obd2 intake from a stock 99 si.also,i noticed the swap was extremely shitty because i yanked the ecu out and saw that this guy put a ls ecu a p73? its a non vtech ecu. wud this maybe be the reason why the car doesnt idle right either? i bought a p28 ecu i know im gonna need a obd2 to obd1 jumper harness.
and as far as the intake manifold goes....where do all those hoses hook up from the denso sensor and what not? and i wus under the hood, i saw that the cold air intake only has ONE hole. i think the si/ex intakes should have 2 holes where one of the sensors may go into.because i do see a sensor just sitting there not hooked in.

thankss.