Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

99 Hatch engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (vsm98civic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vsm98civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You can build a LS motor and boost that for less than what it would cost to buy a c5. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well... stock to stock...you would still be 30+ hp down from a stock c5 with a thicker headgasket...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vsm98civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hell, even a boosted ls/vtec would be cheaper.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Really ? Go properly build an Ls/vtec and boost it... and give me a run-down on the cost...

Oh... btw... you just might wanna take a peek at my sig before you go shopping.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vsm98civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">look at the compression ratios for all those motors. which one has the highest? does that mean anything to you?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Umm... it would if I couldn't find an experienced tuner somewhere.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vsm98civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sure, you could dump a load of money into an itr motor and it would be quick, no doubt.. but why spend all that money?</TD></TR></TABLE>

1) Because that's what a hardcore enthusiast does.
2) Because a car guy is sometimes never satisfied.
3) Because some people who want to do it... just CAN.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vsm98civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my question to you is: why you would boost a c5 motor over a c1 (or even over an ls for that matter) motor?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Slopoke said it best....
Old 09-20-2004, 09:13 PM
most hood white kid

an Ls turbo would out run a stock c5, but it all depends on how much boost you give the Ls, hey, if he wants to spend 4500 on a c5 swap, be my guest, then spend anothe 2500 on a turbo kit, plus other internal mods, but really wouldnt have to do that b/c the internals of the ITR are already upgraded
Old 09-20-2004, 10:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (egcoupe94)

how r they upgraded, wouldnt they be stock
Old 09-21-2004, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^ they have better rods, a better r/s ratio and anti-friction coating just to name a few.... and whilst the engine was not built with boost in mind... it also has piston squirters... a staple of factory boosted cars.

Also.. this guy won't be paying $4000+ for the swap... he will likely pay half that or less.

The be all... you can boost an ITR with the proper precautions and good tuning. I would like to know, from the ones that said it's a 'disaster waiting to happen'... how many of you even have experience with turbo setups, much less, B series setups ?

Are you guys just relaying info from what you've read on the net ?
Old 09-21-2004, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (X2BOARD)

The're just misinformation regurgitators.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:36 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by X2BOARD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Well... stock to stock...you would still be 30+ hp down from a stock c5 with a thicker headgasket...</TD></TR></TABLE>
you could make that power up from the $3 grand you saved on the a motor.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by X2BOARD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Umm... it would if I couldn't find an experienced tuner somewhere.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
good luck finding one. that's such a specific setup it'd be hard to find anyone good enough to work on it. even if you do, it'll be MORE money that has to be spent.

1) Because that's what a hardcore enthusiast does.
2) Because a car guy is sometimes never satisfied.
3) Because some people who want to do it... just CAN.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
with your post count, i thought you would've replied with something more intelligent than this.
1. Seriously.. i don't know of anyone who would want to achieve the same results and save money at the same time.
2. That's just a naive thing to say.
3. Well, if you have the money to waste, go for it!

Maybe I didn't make my original statement clear to you... It's obvious a boosted ITR motor is sick, and would be quick. But you can get the same results a cheaper route. Also:
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by X2BOARD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and whilst the engine was not built with boost in mind...</TD></TR></TABLE>
That was the first thing I said and you jumped all over me about it. that's the whole basis of my argument.
Old 09-21-2004, 12:19 PM

First things first, the engines gonna be under 3K and once its installed id wait 5 - 8 months to boost it while im waiting id buy everything to build the engine. Im not going to buy a turbo kit I'll do a custom one Im not planning to push much boost, 6 - 8 psi is all Id need. Im going to try to work out the best exhaust for stealth, I want a total sleeper like how my car is now. ill keep a normal bov I don't mind people knowing im boosted but once they don't know what engine it is and the kinda power this thing will be putting down.

Here In trinidad everythings being turbo'd its a new craise allmost tons of nissans, mazda's, honda's you name it if someone has the time they allready boosted it. I know if I went allmotor id beat some/ most of them ( X2board's doing that with his GSR hatch). But there are some cars here your gonna need all the power you can get and then some to even come close. For a small island we have tons of daily driving race cars, its just a great feeling to have a car that cost 1/4th of what their driving own them.
Old 09-21-2004, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by vsm98civic
you could make that power up from the $3 grand you saved on the a motor.
Really ? How ? By putting it back into the LS ? The stock LS typically only handles about 11psi or so w/o too many worries.

good luck finding one. that's such a specific setup it'd be hard to find anyone good enough to work on it. even if you do, it'll be MORE money that has to be spent.
Guy, what, did you come into tuning and modding yesterday ? A skilled tuner can tune just about any setup if they know the parameters and what they are dealing with. And you say it's just MORE money being spent to tune it ? I'm not trying to be mean here... but are you stupid ? You would go turbo an engine and NOT tune it ? Again... I repeat... are you stupid ?

with your post count, i thought you would've replied with something more intelligent than this.
Stupid questions = Stupid Answers maybe ? Learn something pumpkin... You are not your ******* post count.

1. Seriously.. i don't know of anyone who would want to achieve the same results and save money at the same time.
You want to make 'X' horsepower... it will COST YOU MONEY...

2. That's just a naive thing to say.
Ummm... right... go ask a guy that has a built up engine... ask him how much he spent... ask him how much power he's making... ask him for the time slips... then once you're drooling over the setup... ask him if he wants something more than he has... pretty damn high chance he'll have a LIST.

3. Well, if you have the money to waste, go for it!
You call it 'wasting' money ? Money invested in something that makes me happy isn't wasting....

Putting a CAI on a sohc 1.6L to make 4 more hp might seem like 'wasting money' to some people... but to the guy that just modded his engine... it's heaven.

Maybe I didn't make my original statement clear to you... It's obvious a boosted ITR motor is sick, and would be quick. But you can get the same results a cheaper route.
So the ITR has a great flowing head, good intake manifold, superior quench area, piston squirters, awesome rod stroke ratio... none of that means much since you can do just the same with any other motor ? Wow... opened my eyes....

Originally Posted by x2board
and whilst the engine was not built with boost in mind...
That was the first thing I said and you jumped all over me about it. that's the whole basis of my argument.
HEY ! With that logic... all the guys that have boosted GSR engines, LS engines, D series engines, H22's... all those guys must be complete idiots... I mean since none of those engines were desigend with boost in mind an all....

You know what... you're right... I'm going to tell my boys with the turbo kits on their ITR's to stop playing around before they hurt themselves....
Old 09-21-2004, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's a pretty clueless thing to say meng....

Yes... it built for n/a.. ALL B,D and H series are genius... I guess it'd be a waste of money to boost any of them then !

...go tell all the boosted ITR guys that they wasted money... they need a good laugh.

BTW... odds are, the jdm engine will be closer to 200hp, but that's on 103 octane... we have 95, so yeah... close to the usdm 195hp is what you'll see.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The only comment on here that is worth anything....

You guys are all jokes. Why don't you help the guy with his question instead of arguing with each other about why it is not good to turbo an ITR motor... He didn't ask for your opinion on wheather or not to turbo the motor, he just asked for help with the swap.

The ITR motor would be a very nice motor to swap and I think you will be very happy with it.

Personally, after the little vid collection I have gotten from the ITR forum, I would love to see a boosted C5 in an EK hatch.
You will have some traction problems though...
Old 09-21-2004, 01:10 PM
most hood white kid

ok...an ITR for half of 4 grand??? can you say bulshit!!.....a b16 gen. 2 is about 2500 shipped, how in the **** can an ITR be chaper than a b16, you are gonna pay more than 3 grand...a c1swap is an average of 3100 on places like hmotorsonline.com and jhpusa.com, save your money on the itr andjust go c1
Old 09-21-2004, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by egcoupe94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok...an ITR for half of 4 grand??? can you say bulshit!!.....a b16 gen. 2 is about 2500 shipped, how in the **** can an ITR be chaper than a b16, you are gonna pay more than 3 grand...a c1swap is an average of 3100 on places like hmotorsonline.com and jhpusa.com, save your money on the itr andjust go c1</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why don't you stop telling other people what they are going to do.

If you read the post it clearly states that these two people are going to split the cost of a complete front clip from Japan. If you read more it also says that this guy is from Spain I believe, so he probly isn't getting the same price's you are.

You guys are getting quick to repeat things that may or may not be true, just because thats what soemone else told you....
Old 09-21-2004, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jon V)

Wow.
Old 09-21-2004, 01:25 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by egcoupe94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok...an ITR for half of 4 grand??? can you say bulshit!!.....a b16 gen. 2 is about 2500 shipped, how in the **** can an ITR be chaper than a b16, you are gonna pay more than 3 grand...a c1swap is an average of 3100 on places like hmotorsonline.com and jhpusa.com, save your money on the itr andjust go c1</TD></TR></TABLE>

blah blah blah. my best friend bought an entire wrecked hatch with a gsr swap in it for 1500 bucks. and now he bought a complete 2000 gsr for 3500. dont tell people what they are going to spend. there are always deals out there. u just have to know where to look for them. u keep spending top dollar for your **** so guys like me can find the good deals. u idiot.
Old 09-21-2004, 01:37 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Boosted B18C5's are incredibly badass, make a ton of power and have more off-boost throttle control than any other engine I've had experience with.

Cons? Tuning. Lots or expensive tuning to keep **** from detonating under boost. Ingition maps are vital here.
Old 09-21-2004, 09:19 PM
most hood white kid

i am not trying to tell people what to buy, just putting in my .02 but I am also just going on what I have seen on the net
Old 09-21-2004, 10:30 PM

lol you make me laugh

so many things i have said just go right over your head
Old 09-21-2004, 10:37 PM

put it this way.. you go spend your money on a c5 engine, boost it, tune it and be happy.

i'll take that same amount, buy an ls engine, boost it, tune it, make the same amount of power AND still have $3 grand to spend on ho's and beer to make me more happy than you'll ever be

I also find it humorously ironic how you, Mr. Allknowing ITR man, create a topic "Going from GSR cams to ITR cams worth it ?" Not only that, all your posts seem to gravitate around your financial situation.
Ex:
"I can prolly sell the GSR's for some money to compensate..."

"Ghetto-Modding: Enlarging header collector"

"Money is tight, so would anyone recommend a used PP and resurfaced stock disc ? I can do that for about half the price of a new package."

".... I want to avoid buying them from out of my home country... since I'd need to pay duty and tax in addition to the price+shipping."

"It's just imma need a 2nd car soon... and honestly, I miss boost... sooo... being my twisted self... I'm considering a viable, cost effective alternative"

Looks like you're trying to save money too

No need to get testy, simma down na.

Modified by vsm98civic at 3:04 AM 9/22/2004
Old 09-22-2004, 12:49 AM

Umm X2board has a family to suport.... so yeah hes trying to save money But I only have basic expenses IE gas, car mantinence, food, and party cash..... hense Id be buying the engine, and alot of the stuff so its not him spending tons of cash its both of us and were gonna sell some of the parts to get back some $$$.

We are in Trinidad its a small island off south america in the southern carribean, we have a direct shipping agreement with japan hense everythings jdm unless we buy from the US and thats where it costs more for us to ship it from and so on.Only reason boost came up is because im addicted to boost. I love it, what can I say one of the most fun things in my day is driving a boosted car. The c5 is a great allmotor engine yeah but like most tuners I like to try things, see how much power I can squezze outta my engine with out killing it.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Boosted B18C5's are incredibly badass, make a ton of power and have more off-boost throttle control than any other engine I've had experience with.

Cons? Tuning. Lots or expensive tuning to keep **** from detonating under boost. Ingition maps are vital here.</TD></TR></TABLE>

^^ thats what I wanna know, Thanks alot for telling me.

Once I have it up and running ( non boosted id dyno it and post the slips then in 5 - 6 months we'll do alil comparison ok ) Im also going to start videoing some races on the track
Old 09-22-2004, 05:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vsm98civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...I also find it humorously ironic how you, Mr. Allknowing ITR man, create a topic "Going from GSR cams to ITR cams worth it ?" Not only that, all your posts seem to gravitate around your financial situation.....

....Looks like you're trying to save money too

No need to get testy, simma down na.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

hahaha!!! You made my day kid....

I have been tru about 15+ cars in my life... I've modded a few of them... some lightly, some to the extreme. But you gotta settle down sometime... as drunkenmaster said, I have a family to support... so I am no longer spending thousands on engine builds and turbo kits as I used to.

I've been there... I've done that... and you haven't because apparently you're too much of a ***** to take the chance, spend the money and do something of consequence. Please don't go giving advice to people when you don't know wtf you're talking about.... reading internet forums does not make you an expert, pumpkin.....

So stop sucking on your mama's tit, grow a pair and try bolting on something more involved than a cold air intake.

Oh... and the looking up all my posts thing... cute... it's like having my own personal stalker.

X2 (Slaps bitches dead)

Old 09-22-2004, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hahaha!!! You made my day kid....

I have been tru about 15+ cars in my life... I've modded a few of them... some lightly, some to the extreme. But you gotta settle down sometime... as drunkenmaster said, I have a family to support... so I am no longer spending thousands on engine builds and turbo kits as I used to.

I've been there... I've done that... and you haven't because apparently you're too much of a ***** to take the chance, spend the money and do something of consequence. Please don't go giving advice to people when you don't know wtf you're talking about.... reading internet forums does not make you an expert, pumpkin.....

So stop sucking on your mama's tit, grow a pair and try bolting on something more involved than a cold air intake.

Oh... and the looking up all my posts thing... cute... it's like having my own personal stalker.

X2 (Slaps bitches dead)

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ha HA, someone got owned
Old 09-22-2004, 06:40 AM

loll i got owned because he called me a few degrading names

and stop calling yourself X2

Modified by vsm98civic at 11:03 AM 9/22/2004
Old 09-22-2004, 06:48 AM
Rotary Lift Specialist

Default Re: 99 Hatch engine swap (civtegra_hybrid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civtegra_hybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my bad, did I say I would buy the whole front end, I take that back, you can only use the hood,fenders, bumper,head lights, if you would do the whole conversion, you can't use the front chassy.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Of course you can, my friend took a front clip off a RHD DA integra, and welded it to the rear of a USDM DA, it took shitloads of time and money, but as long as welding and support work is done right, it WILL work
Old 09-22-2004, 06:54 AM
Rotary Lift Specialist

Default Re: (LSturboEH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LSturboEH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

blah blah blah. my best friend bought an entire wrecked hatch with a gsr swap in it for 1500 bucks. and now he bought a complete 2000 gsr for 3500. dont tell people what they are going to spend. there are always deals out there. u just have to know where to look for them. u keep spending top dollar for your **** so guys like me can find the good deals. u idiot. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I got my LS swap for 800$ with 70k on it, if thats not a deal, then I dont know what is.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turtlecx92)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turtlecx92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I got my LS swap for 800$ with 70k on it, if thats not a deal, then I dont know what is.</TD></TR></TABLE>

nice deal... here are some crazy ones from people I know in Florida.

94 GSR, original paint, lowering springs, Fluidine radiator, aftermarket intake and exhaust, no accidents, running car, working a/c, good interior - $1000 !!!

Running 92 DX hatch back, auto, a/c, no accidents - $80 !!! (that's not a typo)

95 special edition integra, original paint, COMPLETELY STOCK, NEVER MODDED, running perfect... car was PRISTINE - $2000 !!!

My current hatch with a sohc turbo kit, 17" HRE rims, gsr seats, no a/c - $3500 (ok... so it wasn't that great)
Old 09-22-2004, 08:01 AM
Rotary Lift Specialist

yeah my hatch was 1500$, 800 for the swap, 180 for springs, 365 for shocks 600 for rims and tires, 150 for an Apex'i exhaust, my pockets love me right now

Quick Reply: 99 Hatch engine swap