Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

99 EM1 "alternator SP Sensor" fuse keeps blowing. Immediate help needed!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 EM1 "alternator SP Sensor" fuse keeps blowing. Immediate help needed!

I have had the alternator and battery both checked and they are both good, it's a 7.5 fuse and it blows almost immediately after I start the car. I'm really confused as to why it's doing this when both of the charging systems are good. The car randomly lose power (cd player, tach, lights dim, idles low, etc) while I'm driving and only if I replace the fuse in time will the car start again. I usjay have to end up jumping it because the car ends up running on battery power only.

I've had a few local mechanics look at it, and no one cH seem to pinpoint the problem.

Does anyone have any idea as to what this could be? It's my DD, so I'd like to have this up and running correctly asap. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 99 EM1 "alternator SP Sensor" fuse keeps blowing. Immediate help needed! (joshualeet)

is there any way that your electrical system has a un natural amount of load on it? and have your REALLY checked your grounds (take them off and use a metal brush to make sure its good contact?)
Old 10-30-2008, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 99 EM1 "alternator SP Sensor" fuse keeps blowing. Immediate help needed! (davefromPA)

Thanks for the quick reply, but nope, I don't have anything extra besides just a normal CD player. Unfortunately, I'm posting this from my phone because my car just blew the fuse and died again before I could see it. I use those "Smart glow" fuses that light up when they blow... this one didn't light up haha. Wonderful.

I don't think I've checked all of the grounds because I'm not sure that I know where all of them are located... care to point them out for me? Sorry for the noob question, but thanks for your help homie.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 99 EM1 "alternator SP Sensor" fuse keeps blowing. Immediate help needed! (joshualeet)

Anyone?
Old 10-30-2008, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

were you working on your car recently?

happened to me before. problem was one of the O2 sensor wires on the cat was touching the body of the car.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 99 EM1 "alternator SP Sensor" fuse keeps blowing. Immediate help needed! (virus.EK)

The only thing I've done recently (before pulling the apt and battery) as putting on a different intercooler.
Old 10-31-2008, 03:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump
Old 10-31-2008, 03:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (joshualeet)

u hit a wire on ur system somewhere... happened to me i replaced alternator and battery and kept blowing the fuse. i broke a wire on my o2 sensor on a rock or sumthin and it makes the fuse keep blowing which basically makes ur car not recognise ur alternator. find the wire. look in areas u worked on and other areas like o2 where u could have hit sumthin in the road. mine took me over a month to figure it out. i had my tuner look up a wire diagram and immediatly he said look under ur car at ur o2 sensor and bam fixed the wire and replaced the fuse and there u go good as new... hope u find it
Old 10-31-2008, 04:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (00b20vtecoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 00b20vtecoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">u hit a wire on ur system somewhere... happened to me i replaced alternator and battery and kept blowing the fuse. i broke a wire on my o2 sensor on a rock or sumthin and it makes the fuse keep blowing which basically makes ur car not recognise ur alternator. find the wire. look in areas u worked on and other areas like o2 where u could have hit sumthin in the road. mine took me over a month to figure it out. i had my tuner look up a wire diagram and immediatly he said look under ur car at ur o2 sensor and bam fixed the wire and replaced the fuse and there u go good as new... hope u find it </TD></TR></TABLE>

Ah, so you're saying I should check around my o2 sensor first? Well, once I get outta class, that'll be the first thing I check. Thanks man.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (joshualeet)

yea look for a break or even a tiny slpice mine i couldnt even tell til i was looking rite at it i think i snagged a rock or sumthin. but im obd1 now and it was on my secondary o2 so all i had to do was just unplug it. cause its all connected on the same circuit so any rips in a wire will cause this.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

check the sensor by the throttle body and see its shorting out, because mine did that and it was blowing the alternator fuse all the time...
Old 10-31-2008, 05:51 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

There is a service bulletin from Honda about this very problem.

The bulletin details a specific area of the engine harness that gets rubbed through against the intake manifold support bracket. This affect the alternator output, vehicle speed sensor, oxygen sensors, throws an ELD code sometimes, etc.

Bulletin number is:

99-029

I'm trying to find a picture that shows/details the actual bulletin as it is from Honda. I've got it here in front of me on All Data but there is no way to save the pic and host/post it.

A Google search of "Honda service bulletin 99-029" yielded some .pdf files.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 99 EM1 "alternator SP Sensor" fuse keeps blowing. Immediate help needed! (B18C5-EH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There is a service bulletin from Honda about this very problem.

The bulletin details a specific area of the engine harness that gets rubbed through against the intake manifold support bracket. This affect the alternator output, vehicle speed sensor, oxygen sensors, throws an ELD code sometimes, etc.

Bulletin number is:

99-029

I'm trying to find a picture that shows/details the actual bulletin as it is from Honda. I've got it here in front of me on All Data but there is no way to save the pic and host/post it.

A Google search of "Honda service bulletin 99-029" yielded some .pdf files.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh wow! Thank you. My speedometer doesn't work and I've been throwing the ECU code for it for about 2 weeks. I can't go over 4.5k rpms before the CEL comes on or else I 2 step.. even when I'm driving on the expressway.

So what do you suggest? Check the engine harness by the intake manifold? See if anything is spliced or rubbed out or something?
Old 10-31-2008, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just dealt with this very same problem last week on my 99 si. Replaced alt and battery and a few hundred dollars later found out that my secondary o2 sensor was rubbin on heat shield and shorting out causing the fuse to pop. Check o2 sensors as they are on the same circuit as alt and speed sensor. Hope this helps!
Old 11-01-2008, 11:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 99 EM1 "alternator SP Sensor" fuse keeps blowing. Immediate help needed! (bargs2006)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bargs2006 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just dealt with this very same problem last week on my 99 si. Replaced alt and battery and a few hundred dollars later found out that my secondary o2 sensor was rubbin on heat shield and shorting out causing the fuse to pop. Check o2 sensors as they are on the same circuit as alt and speed sensor. Hope this helps!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks dude, I'll definitely check that out in the morning.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:26 AM

Default Re: 99 EM1 "alternator SP Sensor" fuse keeps blowing. Immediate help needed! (joshual

Originally Posted by bargs2006
I just dealt with this very same problem last week on my 99 si. Replaced alt and battery and a few hundred dollars later found out that my secondary o2 sensor was rubbin on heat shield and shorting out causing the fuse to pop. Check o2 sensors as they are on the same circuit as alt and speed sensor. Hope this helps!
Was your VTEC not working also??, because Im having a similar problem where my alternator fuse keeps blowing when I start the car and my Speed sensor isn't working and my tach dies at 4500 and my VTEC isnt working either.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:54 AM

Default Re: 99 EM1 "alternator SP Sensor" fuse keeps blowing. Immediate help needed!

Your engine harness is rubbing against the bracket that holds the intake manifold up and its grounding out. You have to cut the wire tie to free it and then wrap electrical tape on the wires to cover them back up. You can see the harness if you look back towards the t bracket.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:01 AM

Default Re: 99 EM1 "alternator SP Sensor" fuse keeps blowing. Immediate help needed!

Originally Posted by white4doorsi
Your engine harness is rubbing against the bracket that holds the intake manifold up and its grounding out. You have to cut the wire tie to free it and then wrap electrical tape on the wires to cover them back up. You can see the harness if you look back towards the t bracket.
You got a pic, im running a 2000 integra with JDM GSR swap

Last edited by hondarules7; 12-30-2008 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by joshualeet
I have had the alternator and battery both checked and they are both good, it's a 7.5 fuse and it blows almost immediately after I start the car. I'm really confused as to why it's doing this when both of the charging systems are good. The car randomly lose power (cd player, tach, lights dim, idles low, etc) while I'm driving and only if I replace the fuse in time will the car start again. I usjay have to end up jumping it because the car ends up running on battery power only.

I've had a few local mechanics look at it, and no one cH seem to pinpoint the problem.

Does anyone have any idea as to what this could be? It's my DD, so I'd like to have this up and running correctly asap. Thanks in advance.
I had this same problem a couple of years ago on my em1. I bought a short finder (link below) and chased each wire coming off that fuse. Eventually the short finder lead me to where the dash harness meets the engine harness on the driver side of the engine bay. The speed sensor wire was grounding out inside of the harness connection. I simply ran a wire from one side of the harness connection to the other side completely bypassing the connectors and i have not had a problem since.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product?storeId=10101&Pr=p_Product.CATENTRY_ID%3A2 008164&productId=2008164&catalogId=10101
Old 04-01-2010, 10:53 PM
Trial User

dig up old thread lol

dont know if you guys found the source of your problem but ive just come accross it too

and i believe mine is caused by the location of the o2 sensor on my aftermarket headers. its been rubbing against the rear engine mount and finally tore 3 wires
ive just disconnected it temporarily...
Old 08-11-2013, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

did this solve your problem bcuz i have 00 si turbo and it is doing the same thing
Old 08-11-2013, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Corsten4banger
did this solve your problem bcuz i have 00 si turbo and it is doing the same thing
Better to create your own thread rather than bump this ancient thread.