Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

'99 Civic trunk lock jammed...help to replace lock that will work with existing key

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '99 Civic trunk lock jammed...help to replace lock that will work with existing key

My trunk lock has been giving me problems for over a year. Sometimes the key would work, sometimes not. I tried Teflon spray, which only made things worse and now I can't even get the key in there. Liquid wrench and graphite didn't solve the problem.

Honda said they can't order a new lock mechanism that works with the existing key, and that's something I wanted to avoid. Locksmiths either don't answer my calls, or want to drive to me. I really don't feel like paying someone to drive here, fiddle with it, then tell me it's unfixable.

Is the Honda dealer wrong? In the first link, I'm wondering if part #4 would work?

http://www.hondapartsnow.com/Page_Pr...Cylinder%20Kit

Part #9 is the one that comes with new keys:

http://www.hondapartsnow.com/Page_Pr...me=Trunk%20Lid

Any ideas??
Old 09-21-2010, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: '99 Civic trunk lock jammed...help to replace lock that will work with existing k

Honda dealer is right. You can buy a new cylinder as in link 1, but you will have to have a locksmith rekey it. They may need the key code for your car to get the lock rekeyed to your current key. The dealer might be able to give you the key code after you provide your registration and drivers license as proof.

If I were you, I would take the trunk lock cylinder out of the trunk and see if you can clean the cylinder. You may have "gunked" up the lock. Worst case, you put it back in and order a cylinder from link one and have it rekeyed or you can rekey yourself. It's really simple. You can use the following link to get an idea of what is involved. The only difference between a door lock cylinder (what's shown in the link below) and a trunk lock cylinder is when you take the lock cylinder apart, you will have to pry off the front silver portion of the trunk lock cylinder off to pull the cylinder out. Once you get it out, you will be able to see what I am talking about.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/diy-fixing-doorlocks-open-any-key-2237857/
Old 09-22-2010, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: '99 Civic trunk lock jammed...help to replace lock that will work with existing k

You are awesome! That's exactly the information I needed, thank you!! I went ahead and ordered part #4.

By the way, neither the local Honda dealership or Majestic Honda mentioned "part #4." I bought my car brand new and still have the numbers on the metal tag attached to one of my key chains, but was told that this number is only used for getting a new key. I'll try to do it myself.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Glad to help. Let me how it works out!
Old 09-23-2010, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I will. Thanks again!
Old 10-08-2010, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by VPUPPY
Glad to help. Let me how it works out!
Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction. Everything worked out great! The part was less than $30 shipped, although it did take a while to receive it. The brand new felt sticker had peeled away from the wax paper and of course stuck to everything else. Honda should ship that thing in a mini envelope, but no biggie.

It was surprisingly easy to do once I cleared away all the gunk. After removing the C clip, lever and spring, bracing either side of the housing in a vise and tapping it gently with a small hammer was enough to remove the metal cap without mangling it. Clean up was time consuming, and 2 of the metal plates were completely jammed in there by red plastic from a WD-40 can or something. A thorough soaking in rubbing alcohol eventually removed the graphite and grease that was stuck in the springs. 2500 grit wet/dry sandpaper w/water did a perfect job of cleaning the residue on the plates. I'm so happy that I don't have to use a different key! Thank you!!! Here are some pics I took...

Old 10-09-2010, 03:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Great work! Thanks for the pics. I think the best part of this is that you did it yourself! Congrats!
Old 10-09-2010, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You're right. It's great when you do things yourself. It was also a nice opportunity to clean behind the license plate frame, lol. How much do you think a locksmith would have charged me?