Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

99 civic ex build

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 civic ex build

To start off im kind of a noob when it comes to this kind of stuff. i just recently bought a 99 civic ex but the engine threw a rod so now im stuck and im not sure what to do. I have been looking around on forums to get an idea of what i want but there are so many different things i just cant choose. This car is going to be used as a fun car, not really a daily but im looking to make it very reliable and fast enough to pass those annoying people going 30 in a 55 on a 2 lane street. I am also trying to keep the car looking very clean (meaning wire tucks and that kind of thing). My preferred budget for the engine bay is around 3-4k. The main two options im looking at are a d16y8 with a small turbo. Or a B18c1 with a small turbo added. and i know there is a lot of information on both of those, but i just cant make up a decision. if someone could point me in a direction or certain posts to look into i appreciate it, or if you have more questions ill gladly answer it.
Old 04-09-2019, 05:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: 99 civic ex build

D series with a small turbo sounds good for your first build. Should get you plenty of usable power for what you're wanting to do and you should be within budget. Just a suggestion, build it right and build it once. No Ebay junk, build yourself a good setup and get a really good tune and itll be very reliable.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I believe this will be my first set up as well, just hard to find D series turbo kits imo
Originally Posted by civichxtreme2
D series with a small turbo sounds good for your first build. Should get you plenty of usable power for what you're wanting to do and you should be within budget. Just a suggestion, build it right and build it once. No Ebay junk, build yourself a good setup and get a really good tune and itll be very reliable.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Not really, you dont need to buy a complete "kit" just piece one together using parts from all over the place. Usually end up cheaper and with better quality stuff, even buying slightly used is fine as long as the item is checked and in good condition. There are many D series Turbo builds you can get inspiration from.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:05 PM
Actually UC Nick

You can get B series cheap these days and lots of cheap mods and turbos on the market now.
Old 04-12-2019, 05:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PastorDave_EJ1
You can get B series cheap these days and lots of cheap mods and turbos on the market now.
Very true, but not at all necessary considering cost or the entire swap (Trans, ECU, Axles ETC) that extra money can be much better spent on a nice solid turbo setup and youll make more power if done correctly
Old 04-12-2019, 10:00 AM
Actually UC Nick

Very true, but not at all necessary considering cost or the entire swap (Trans, ECU, Axles ETC) that extra money can be much better spent on a nice solid turbo setup and youll make more power if done correctly
Good point and i see he called out a budget of 3-4k so I 100% agree with you.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:16 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by Allstck98
hard to find D series turbo kits imo
Be prepared to out-spend your budget unless you wheel and deal for every part and piece the kit together yourself, or unless you cave and go with an eBay kit. If you want a quality entry-level kit for a good price, I would suggest the Go-Autoworks Street Journal Bearing kit. Please note you need to update a lot more on the car besides what is in the kit. Also, set aside some money for tuning. Good luck.
Old 04-19-2019, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DaX
Be prepared to out-spend your budget unless you wheel and deal for every part and piece the kit together yourself, or unless you cave and go with an eBay kit. If you want a quality entry-level kit for a good price, I would suggest the Go-Autoworks Street Journal Bearing kit. Please note you need to update a lot more on the car besides what is in the kit. Also, set aside some money for tuning. Good luck.
Much appreciated to everyones inputs. Any tips as to what i should be doing to the engins to make it stronger and make sure it holds up to said suggested kit? And as i said in the original post, my budget for the engine bay alone is preferably 3-4k i already have plans for everything else, just the engine bay thats been giving me issues.
Old 04-19-2019, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I appreciate the advice, ebay turbos arent quite what im looking for, im looking to make it clean, do it once and thats it. Been hearing horror stories about ebay turbos, but ive also seen a lot of good things, depends if u know what to look for i guess? Which i dont as of right now lmao. Been trying to find a good place to dyno the car but i havent met anyone that lives in this old people town called spring hill that has a car worth tuning lol. Any reccomendations for anywhere in florida? Im sure there are some i just cant find any.
Old 04-19-2019, 06:32 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

Pistons, rods, and bearings for the bottom end, new seals and gaskets throughout, stronger clutch, larger injectors, the turbo kit, and tuning will already come close or even out-spend your budget. If you're serious about it, stay focused and only buy the parts you NEED to meet your goals, not the bling parts that look cool but aren't required.

There are tuners in FL, but I don't personally have any recommendations.
Old 04-19-2019, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DaX
Pistons, rods, and bearings for the bottom end, new seals and gaskets throughout, stronger clutch, larger injectors, the turbo kit, and tuning will already come close or even out-spend your budget. If you're serious about it, stay focused and only buy the parts you NEED to meet your goals, not the bling parts that look cool but aren't required.

There are tuners in FL, but I don't personally have any recommendations.
Awesome, i appreciate it. And i dont plan on making it look "cool" i just want it to be as clean as possible, and it is preferred to keep it around the 3-4k but if it takes more than that to do it right i dont mind, will just take a bit longer.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

For tuning, check with John Wilson at LHT performance. They are in Pinellas Park.
Old 05-03-2019, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

keep us posted on your build. im about to do my first d series performance build. i've rebuilt a few motors, but haven't a clue what parts are a must when stepping it up for a turbo.