Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

99-00 HB / D16Y8 question...

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99-00 HB / D16Y8 question...

I'm not a noob to Hondas and modding them. I know this sounds like something you'd be reading from a noob who's never owned a Honda on any given day on H-T...and for that I apologize...but I've been under the impression for a long time now that the 99-00 hatchbacks do in fact have a trim level that includes a Y8 in it, but somehow I just now found out that you can only get a DX or CX with a Y7. So I'm wondering how so many people have hatches with Y8s in them..so many that it has always seemed to me that you can just buy one with the Y8 in it already. (Not have to fully swap or do a mini-me)
The reason why I ask and why I'm kinda pissed about this is cause for such a long time I've thought that I can just easily buy a 99-00 HB in the near future and already have a Y8 ready to boost. Now I find out that you can only get them with a shitty Y7 which I've had now for a while ('96 DX) and that just sucks. I really didnt think I'd have to do a mini-me before I turbo (cause who wants to turbo a Y7), cause of course boosting is a large project in itself...dammit.

Looking for any help with this. Is it a wise choise to just go ahead and get the stock HB and just boost the Y7? Or is it really worth it to get the 127-hp motor or head first to boost? And I'm asking in terms of speed/power/and reliability. Thanks!
Old 08-18-2006, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 99-00 HB / D16Y8 question... (GutS96EJ)

bump...be gentle
Old 08-18-2006, 10:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow ok ill be nice this time.

ek hatchback do NOT come in d16y8.
all eks come with d16y7.
if you want vtec then jus do a head swap and boost it. im bou to do the same thing.
all you have to do is tune it right and run ur stock internals and u will be fine.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 99-00 HB / D16Y8 question... (JDMEK-9)

but is it really worth changing the sohc head to the vtec sohc head just for turboing? or will they be too similar to really have to do that?

also...
what if you dont have a dyno place anywhere around? can you just find a reliable tuning place somewhere else (relatively close) and just mail the ecu and turbo/motor specs and they can just tune it without having your car?
Old 08-18-2006, 10:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Gready has a program i think that is jus plug and play but i think its better to do a live tune. over here in cal we have redzone and they do street tuning which i think is the best. good luck oh and if u plan on doin the deah swap make sure you do some reading if u dont kno wha ur doin.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 99-00 HB / D16Y8 question... (JDMEK-9)

yeah ive read into mini-me..but im just mad cause its more money for the head swap now that i didnt think id have to spend before..ughhh i need to win the lotto

but when you say plug 'n play for this greddy program (whats it called?) what do you need to do? and what about the ecu and everything? i always here about everyone who boosts using hondata and crome and whatnot
Old 08-19-2006, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Y8 engine is a VTEC engine, and Honda doesn't just give them away. You have to get an EX or Si to get a VTEC engine. That's how it's been in the US since 1992. Before that you couldn't get one at all.

There is absolutely no replacement for proper tuning. The only way to tune a car is to physically have the car on the dyno. Two cars with exactly the same setup will have different fuel and ignition tuning tables after they've been tuned properly. That's because there are hundreds of variables besides what brand of parts and what motor you have in your car.

You have money/ability to turbo but not to do a head swap?! Head swaps are cake compared to installing a turbo. Head swaps are also much much cheaper than a turbo kit.

Why even bother with a Y8? You're turbocharging!! You could easily put down more power than the engine/suspension can handle. Whether your car has VTEC or not isn't going to matter.

You're a total noob. Don't apologize for it.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 99-00 HB / D16Y8 question... (suspendedHatch)

ok ill ignore the last part of that and pretend there are still nice people out there...
how do you figure that a head swap is cheaper than a turbo if you piece together the kit and find a decent turbo from a junkyard or somewhere else? it would cost way less probably. and also installing a turbo is harder than the head swap? i dont know about that either..i mean if u have all the right piping and everything, i can
t see anything being difficult except maybe the oil lines (jb welding the oil pan is easy) and wiring the injectors since i dont know how to do that yet. i mean what's hard about it? then there's the fuel management and tuning that isnt easy as pie but still..

and so you're saying dont bother with the 8 and just turbo the 7 right?

let's keep the negative comments to a minimum...it's not that difficult right?
Old 08-19-2006, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well it all depends on ur budget.. if ur gonna do mini me then u gotta realize u have to wire up vtec.. get new timing belt.. gaskets and etc.. not to mention finding time to get everything.. as for me im coping up a complete rebuilt head for cheap so i will be going mini-me...then turbo.. also the y7 has that gay top mount intake mani .. if i were u and on a buget.. i say just turbo the y7.. but u gotta remember ur clutch wont last... and that dx tranny sucks..
Old 08-19-2006, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 99-00 HB / D16Y8 question... (rusted_nailz)

yeah thats all true ..guess my best bet is to expand my car search for a hatch already with a y8 or even a b16, even though i always hate getting an already swapped car . But i guess if the motor seems to be fine then its no problem.

when you say the clutch wont last, what clutches would that apply to besides the dx one? any stock clutch? doesnt it depend on how many pounds you use?
Old 08-19-2006, 04:31 PM

so you have bought many swapped cars in the past? hmmmm?

man, you could swap a d-series head for $200, maybe even less. this also includes the cost of a new water pump and timing belt. of course, they wouldn't be oem, but why buy quality parts for such a cheap engine. not that d series is junk, but they are a dime a dozen. mainly due to supply and demand.

if i was you, i would look for a banged up but machineable d-series long block. you could probably find one for $100-$150. get it honed and put some forged rods and pistons. then, do a diy ghetto home port to the head and intake manifold. throw in some arp head studs, new napa water pump, napa timing belt, and a new oil pump would be good as well. go to ebay and buy a piece o junk ss autochrome turbo kit. when you have all this, take out your stock engine, sell the long block, install a new ebay crap aluminum flywheel, knock off clutch, and swap in the built longblock.

imo, this would be a fun, budget build. it would be fast enough for a newcomer. it won't break the bank, and you should be in the 200whp range.

btw, i'm sure you had to have read this by now, but here it is just in case. it is an ideal way of going fast on a budget.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1670633

don't blow your money on designer stuff unless/until you have enough experience in it. nothing worse or more funny than noobs jumping in the ring thinking they can box.

Modified by TH22EK9 at 1:42 AM 8/20/2006
Old 08-19-2006, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 99-00 HB / D16Y8 question... (TH22EK9)

ha i agree...thats not a bad route, and i never was thinking of using popular brand parts for anything...

i think my route would be more like: buy some hatch with a stock y8 in it already to just turbo on stock internals (not too much boost, just enough to make it fun and noticeable with the bov haha) and just get clutch and everything needed motor-wise to make it work..or get the hb with y7 and just learn a bit by doing the mini me and then turbo. either way id probably rather go the route of tediously piecing together a turbo kit and hopefully finding the turbo itself at a junkyard. by the way, about that..whats the best car to look for in a junkyard to nab the turbo off of? ive heard of getting them from eclipses, cadillacs, other old cars, etc.. i have no experience with that step. and what else would you wanna grab from the same car besides the turbo itself? thanks for the input!
Old 08-19-2006, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump..also, do the cx and dx hatches come with all standard equipment?? no power anything? what about side body trim and plastic door handles?? which trim level comes with what? cant find it anywhere on the net
Old 08-19-2006, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

there is some thing you can do that will make the Vtec head worth the swap, buy a 96-00 EX transmission for its closer gear ratio. Most people will do the head swap and leave the Stock y7 Trans and there is No point Because you will take forever to get to Vtec and will not feel the full potential of it, Also I would say A mini-me swap is worth it i am in the process of Boosting my 97 hatch, and with the mini-me it opens a new door for aftermarket cams.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 99-00 HB / D16Y8 question... (Speed_1)

yeah all true...

hmm maybe ill just try to find a hatch with a b series already swapped in. i mean i really really want a dohc vtec motor...i miss my b16 in my old 94

plus i know it doesnt matter much about having single cam vtec with turbo..but dual cam is a diff story. cant go wrong with vtec and boost kicking in around the same time...so orgasmic in all ways.

(i know its a different car/motor, but) i cant stop watching the 06 Si Turbo video from inside the car...hearing them both kick in and just hearing the power...god its great.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 99-00 HB / D16Y8 question... (aallbbeerrtttttt)

thanks man.. yeah i don't claim to know everything that people on this board know, but it's not like I just found out what a modded honda is yesterday. im just trying to learn all these things that i cant find answers to anywhere else, and it's hard to get straight answers from you guys sometimes. After i search for the answer to a question i have and not finding anything, i fear pressing new topic cause i know no matter what i want to know about, ill get bashed for no reason, lol. but hey we all get to where we're goin eh.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GutS96EJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">also, do the cx and dx hatches come with all standard equipment?? no power anything? what about side body trim and plastic door handles?? which trim level comes with what? cant find it anywhere on the net</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GutS96EJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> by the way, about that..whats the best car to look for in a junkyard to nab the turbo off of? ive heard of getting them from eclipses, cadillacs, other old cars, etc.. i have no experience with that step. and what else would you wanna grab from the same car besides the turbo itself? thanks for the input!</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 08-21-2006, 11:01 PM

just go one year older, 98 ex has a y8
Old 08-22-2006, 04:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 99-00 HB / D16Y8 question... (ridin98civic)

yeah but not a hatch
Old 08-22-2006, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Okay, I don't know why you're taking offense at the comment. Everyone was a newb at one point. Don't apologize for it. That's actually not offensive at all. I'm saying you don't have to apologize.

My bad if the 96+ EX didn't come with VTEC. That actually sucks. I shouldn't have made the assumption that since the 92-95 EX have VTEC, and the 01+ EXs have VTEC (which I know for a fact on both counts), then the 96-00 EXs should have it too. I'm still surprised that they don't. This is the first I've heard of it.

"Loads of money". Okay, a head swap doesn't cost jack ****. You need an ECU, and a complete head. In many cases you don't even need to change the distributer etc. Running one or two wires for VTEC is so easy it's not even worth mentioning. A turbo costs a lot. You can do it on a budget, but then the maintenance catches up with you. When you go turbo, you end up getting most of the stuff you need for a headswap anyway (ie headgasket, head studs). You end up nickle and diming yourself to death. Turbo's are great when done right, and it just takes money to do it right, even if you use second hand parts.

"a y8 head is proven to flow better than any other D series heads, and how can you "put down more power than the engine/suspension can handle?" isn't the power you put down from your engine, so if you exceed the engine's limits, isn't that considering blowing the motor? i dont know..."

You misread what I said. You took a negative spin on my comments but I was just being matter-of-fact. I'll try to re-state some things.

How much power do you need? It's easy to get 150+whp out of a turboed Y7 or turboed anything. VTEC will give you even more power but you'll be happy with what the turbo is going to give you. So there's no need for a VTEC head. I wasn't dissing mini-me's at all. I have two Civics, one with a Y8 to SOHC ZC mini-me, and the other with an A6 to Z6 mini-me. I love them.

You can easily create so much power that you need traction bars, LSD, over-sized brakes, upgraded drivetrain etc etc In other words, exceeding the limits of the chassis. Exceeding the engine to me doesn't mean blowing the engine, although that's a likely consequence. To me it means that you have so much power that you have to be very careful with it. You have to upgrade the motor and head to handle the power to be able to actually use it.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 99-00 HB / D16Y8 question... (suspendedHatch)

i was only taking offense to the noob comment because even though I didn't know the answer to these questions in the first place, I've been looking at these forums most days of the week for at least 3 years now and i've owned 3 different civics in which two were decently modded with bolt-ons and such. so yeah, im a noob when it comes to a lot of things talked about here, but not everything. I know I haven't done any major fab or mod work but I've learned a lot doing some more simple things. I feel that after researching turbo stuff and mini me swaps a bit, I can do them with minimal problems (more so the mini me) and the turbo i think i could pull off with the right parts and some more research and maybe some help. but anywho...i think 96-00s have VTEC, right? why wouldn't they? and by the way i was looking to get around 200 horse at the most from turboing, a little less would be just fine. ill post more about it later cause im turning 21 in 4 minutes!!! later mannn
Old 08-23-2006, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GutS96EJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Quote, originally posted by GutS96EJ »
also, do the cx and dx hatches come with all standard equipment?? no power anything? what about side body trim and plastic door handles?? which trim level comes with what? cant find it anywhere on the net

Quote, originally posted by GutS96EJ »
by the way, about that..whats the best car to look for in a junkyard to nab the turbo off of? ive heard of getting them from eclipses, cadillacs, other old cars, etc.. i have no experience with that step. and what else would you wanna grab from the same car besides the turbo itself? thanks for the input!</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 08-26-2006, 12:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump for what kind of turbo out of what car i should look for at the junkyard! (if i should even look there for it) to save money