Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

98 ex 61k miles.. Developing a long crank time!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 98 ex 61k miles.. Developing a long crank time!

Hey HondaTech,

This is my first time posting. I was going to post first about a random p0505 code i was getting but turned out to be the base idle was set wrong.

My new problem is that my car (98 civic ex 61k miles) takes a long time to start after it sits for a while (over an hour). I thought it was the FPR and I replaced it but the problem remains. I have a brand new Iacv and Tps is calibrated correctly if that is related. I can hear my fuel pump prime and when its warm it starts on the second crank like it should. It takes 7-8 cranks to start when its cold and sometimes its not the smoothest turnover.

I'd just like to know what to check from here? Fuel filter? Leaking injectors? (exhaust smells like gas when it starts) Compression test? (car does not lack power and runs smooth) Any help would be Awesome! I frequent this forum and I have gotten a bunch of help from reading. I'm hoping the group here can help me solve this and I cant wait to start helping solve others problems from my experiences! Thanks!
Old 09-10-2013, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 98 ex 61k miles.. Developing a long crank time!

btw, spark plugs/wires are new, dizzy cap and rotor are new. I tested dizzy coils and they seem ok.New upstream o2. Ignition timing is spot on. Adjusted valves today, no change. It must be a fuel problem but I dont know how to confirm that! Thanks again!
Old 09-11-2013, 02:44 AM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if it smelling like gas, then you have your answer.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Only when it cranks for a while does it smell like gas. Ha not to be an *** in any way but your answer is vague. Are you saying I may have low compression and the motor is having a hard time igniting the mixture? Or are you saying you think I have a leaking injector?
Old 09-11-2013, 05:53 AM
R.I.P. Mark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

he means your not getting spark
check your coil and igniter
Old 09-11-2013, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright, will do. I will check tomorrow I have to get going for work today. I'll research how to test the igniter. I already tested the coil but maybe I did something wrong. I'll get back to you guys. Thanks!
Old 09-11-2013, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Quick update. Before work I quickly tested primary and secondary coil resistance. Primary fluctuated between .8 -.9 ohms. Secondary read 15.67k ohms.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I also checked fuses 41-42 and 15 inside the car per the instructions in the Haynes manual and they are all fine. I did not check power to the ICM yet nor have I checked if the icm is even working.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Gplus
Quick update. Before work I quickly tested primary and secondary coil resistance. Primary fluctuated between .8 -.9 ohms. Secondary read 15.67k ohms.
Just because you're getting good spark resistance readings does not always mean that the coil is good.

What color is the spark at the spark plug?
Old 09-11-2013, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bk7794
Just because you're getting good spark resistance readings does not always mean that the coil is good.

What color is the spark at the spark plug?
I will check that tomorrow morning before work and get back to you, your suppose to see a bright white spark, right?. Anything else I should try while I'm out there? Priming the fuel system several times doesn't change it btw, so it must be ignition.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Gplus
I will check that tomorrow morning before work and get back to you, your suppose to see a bright white spark, right?. Anything else I should try while I'm out there? Priming the fuel system several times doesn't change it btw, so it must be ignition.
I'd try to crank it and if you smell gas on the spark plug then it's definitely spark related.

But yes, bright white spark. Not sure if blue is okay. If the spark is brown or yellow then it's a coil problem. If its no spark it still could be a coil problem, but could also be an igniter.

Not really sure how often those go out on the 92-00 civics. I know the 88-91s they did quite often.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey So my gf had to go to work early so I couldn't test the spark due to not having 2 people around . When I replaced the cap and rotor they were both in pretty rough shape. I decided to go and buy a new coil and test it out. The car idles a hell of a lot smoother and when I put a load on it (like the ac) it responds much better than before. I haven't cold started it yet but I will when I get out of work at 11pm tonight. I will get back to you guys to see if the problem is totally gone! Sounds like another case of a bad coil that tested out okay...
Old 09-12-2013, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Glad to hear. Good luck!
Old 09-12-2013, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It cranked about 5-6 times after work so I'm still curious as to what else I should check to get that ordinary 2 crank fire that is the norm for our cars. Anything else I should check tomorrow before work? Like I said I think we are on the right track. My car runs smoother after the coil replacement the strange thing it that it has noticeable loss of low end power... I will do an idle relearn tomorrow before work and recheck ignition timing to see if that helps.I'll also check the icm, as I dont need two people. I can check that with a power probe. Thanks for the help and ideas! I'm out of ideas myself so I'm relying on you HT members.

Side note, The multimeter used to check the coil is a Fluke 88. Ive had it for about 3 years. I assume its a trust worthy meter. Good enough to start checking other options right? I'm just curious after the ohm test of the coil.
Old 11-03-2022, 06:03 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has there been any info on what is going on cause I am having the same issue with my 93 DX with 50k miles.
has new dizzy,spark plugs,alternator,starter and coolant temp sensor.
I really don't know what else I could do.