Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

98 d16y8 auto to manual IM CEL 54 and wacky idle (solved)

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 01:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Icon2 98 d16y8 auto to manual IM CEL 54 and wacky idle (solved)

Alright..

Go near the end and read if this looks to long.

I have a 1998 civic ex d16y8 automatic converter to manual. I have been using a p2e ecu which calls for a 3 wire IACV but throws a cel for running to rich and wont let me use cruise. I believe the p2e is dx possibly, which would explain both of those issues.

I went to the junk yard and bought a y8 IM, frown when I found out it didn't come with the throttle body, which costed more than the IM itself.

I managed to find me a p2p(96-98 coupe ex) ecu.
A believed to be knowledgeable friend and two forms told me I may use my auto throttle body with my manual IM. Let me rehash, the auto y8 TB has the IACV on it where as the manual has the IACV located on the back on the IM.
Its apparent I can just use my auto TB and leave the auto IACV alone.

SO I took off my auto IM and put on my junkyard manual IM. Configuring the cooling hoses was confusing at first but I figured it out after using my handy Downloadable helms guide.

Since my auto harness has a three wire clip to the IACV, some wiring is needed. I found a two wire clip that would work for my manual IACV. I depinned the A14 at the ecu harness and moved it to A12(be be written backwards but done right), then depinned A13 as directed by the great thread on auto to manual found on HT, Then at the IACV clip end, depinned the orange wire and connected to remaining to wires to the new clip in the proper order.

I am finished. I go to start it up and the bitch revved to about 4k, it was slowly rising and I didn't stick around to find out, but in that time a CEL popped up, I the paper clip method and came up with CEL 54 which is Crank Fluctuation Sensor. This is with my auto y8 TB.

I have done much researching I swear, I am just so confused as to why a CEL 54 would develop from this, I know the ecu is good for it just was pulled in great working order from my cousins ej8.

Here's what I have yet to and will try in the morning, though doesn't correlate as far as I know with the CEL 54:
Clean the IACV filter,
Looking into the TB there are 2 ports, IACV and TPS(I believe) buddy recommends blocking off each one at a time and seeing if it affects idle. says if so that its one or the other, says if I block both and its affected that I have a gasket leak(new gaskets but a small amount of god damn old gasket left on head),
Checking to make sure the CFS has proper power.
Getting a y8 manual TB..( I through a manual B series TB on there and it calmed the idle just a bit)
Recheck the vaccuum lines.

The only reason why I can think I have this CEL 54 is because, when wiring the IACV from two wire to three wire, I switched the wires back and forth after I tried starting for the first time and felt failure).
The CEL comes on after about 5 seconds and I didn't let it run that long the first attempt, but after switching the wires around I did and got the cel. Don't know if it may have fried something or what but that would be two different issues I suppose..

SO. My question, what may cause me to throw a CEL 54 after only messing with the intake?

Do you think using an auto y8 tb with a manual y8 IM is plausable?

WHYYY might my beloved vehicle idle fluctuate (rising)?

I know you must see the car and tinker to really know..That is why I have given all the information I feel important. I searched and searched for 2 hours. This is my first thread. Thank you BERDY much. Tomorrow could be 'life changing'. Ready to get rid of my CEL P0172 and get my cruise working, so I can sell this bitch and move up. Thanks a lot future helpers.

Last edited by Loyalhondahaver; 01-01-2013 at 11:11 AM. Reason: impatient need opinions!
Old 02-19-2013, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 98 d16y8 auto to manual IM CEL 54 and wacky idle

For all those who may come across any problem listed above, my cel 54 was from the cfs wire coming out of the dealy on the lower timing cover that holds it in place, rubbed on the alternator belt (thanks HT),
The idle fluctuation was a combination of that and my tb gasket failing, it was brand new and didn't visually appear to have any tears or abrasions, but a problem.

(I hate when you find the perfect thread with the same problem you are facing, then it goes unanswered)
Old 02-19-2013, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: 98 d16y8 auto to manual IM CEL 54 and wacky idle (solved)