Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

'98 Civic EX - New owner looking for guidance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 '98 Civic EX - New owner looking for guidance.

Hello all,

I'm new to the forums, a recent lurker finding great info, and even newer to the 6th gen scene. I have a 8th gen Civic, a FG2 Si to be exact, but recently, my GF got her car totaled in a flood and we just picked her up a 98 EX. So far, I love it, nothing like a 90's Honda, but being as old as it is and having almost 200k miles on it, it's starting to show its age. It gives me a reason to get under the hood which is nice, since i've been trying to learn more and more mechanically, being the DIYer I am.

It's had a tune up within the last two years but I know its gonna need a timing belt and water pump in the not too distant future. The other thing that has worried me is the transmission, its a 5-speed, but it grinds a little into first and second. Then when letting off the gas in first or second, it makes a very audible whirring noise until your back on the gas. I am going to change the transmission fluid soon, I don't know when it was changed last.

It also has an oil leak which the previous owner thought was the oil pan gasket, but I had a mechanic look at it and he said its coming from a bit higher up (on drivers side). I'm not sure what that could mean, but he said the oil pan needs to be replaced regardless since the drain hole is stripped. I have a new oil pan and gasket on the way, so i'll be doing that along with an oil change within the next few days.

It's got two CELs coming up too:
6 - Water temp sensor
23 - knock sensor

It also needs a power window regulator on the passenger side and a little other TLC on the inside. It was recently painted which is nice and has a front and back 2000 conversion.

I guess as far as questions:

What could the issue with the transmission be, other than being old?

What tranny fluid should I go with? I read AMSOIL or Redline was the way to go.

Where should I check for the oil leak if it isn't the gasket?

Should I be worried about those CELs that are coming up?

Any other advice, or things I should check on this thing?

Thanks guys

Last edited by zhunterzz; 03-07-2012 at 07:38 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: '98 Civic EX - New owner looking for guidance.

Originally Posted by zhunterzz
What could the issue with the transmission be, other than being old?

What tranny fluid should I go with? I read AMSOIL or Redline was the way to go.

Where should I check for the oil leak if it isn't the gasket?
The synchros are probably going out on the trans, most likely from old age.

I always use OEM Honda MTF or ATF. Probably the best idea if you planning on keeping it stock.

If the oil is leaking out the drivers side, it's probably your cam seals, or front crankshaft seal.

As for advise, if you're keeping it stock, always use OEM parts. They might be a little more expensive, but they will pay off in the long run.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:46 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

For the CELs read this link.
How To Retrieve Check Engine Light (CEL) Codes/List of OBD1 CEL CodesHow To Retrieve Check Engine Light (CEL) Codes/List of OBD1 CEL Codes
Old 03-08-2012, 04:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

OEM parts: http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...artsSearch.jsp
Old 03-08-2012, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by timmytimm3
Majestic is the way to go.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I got my CELs, they are in my first post. I was just wondering if either of those CELs are in dire need to get fixed immediately. I did change the tranny fluid today, went to Honda and got some Honda MTF. Goes into gear smoother now, though still grinds of course; gonna need to rebuild the tranny in the future. I have also had a coolant leak, seems the cap to the overflow reservoir is leaking. I think there is a broken seal where the elbow at the top of the cap swivels, gonna order a new one. Thanks for the responses.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm looking to do my Timing Belt, Water Pump, etc, soon. What things do I need other than the TB and WP. Tensioner? Also, what seals and gaskets do I need to do a complete job? I've searched around and found a new DIY, but all of them used different assortments of parts. I will get OEM of course, just looking for a sort of, definitive list. I wanna do this D-series justice.

Thanks
Old 03-12-2012, 04:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by zhunterzz
I'm looking to do my Timing Belt, Water Pump, etc, soon. What things do I need other than the TB and WP. Tensioner? Also, what seals and gaskets do I need to do a complete job? I've searched around and found a new DIY, but all of them used different assortments of parts. I will get OEM of course, just looking for a sort of, definitive list. I wanna do this D-series justice.

Thanks
I just did the timing belt, all other belts, tensioner, alternator, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, and adjusted the valves. Get the parts from Majestic, read the DIY's and get a repair manual.

Get this to hold the crank pulley
http://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-648.../dp/B0000TMLWQ

and two big breaker bars. Getting the crank bolt off is the hardest part.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's a kit that's all OEM and includes all belts and the water pump: http://www.ebay.com/itm/96-97-98-99-...ht_6418wt_1297
Old 03-12-2012, 06:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im surprised nobody mentioned GM synchromesh tranny fluid. i had a 3rd gear grind when i would put it in 3rd, regardless of how soft or hard, over 4000rpms. i did my research and was led to purchase 2 qts of gm synchromesh mtf. I really can't begin to describe how this has made my tranny work so much better. it has done wonders! i dont get the grind unless i punch it into 3rd.

its not OEM, I know. its not even MADE for honda. but you gotta trust me, it will work. just search synchromesh on this very site and youl see.

oh yeah, its like ~$20 a qt