Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

98 Civic DX Sedan, Axle Back questions.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 06:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Civic DX Sedan, Axle Back questions.

I have a 98 Civic DX Sedan, and am thinking about doing just a cheap axle back until I get everything else in the works down the road. I am replacing the manifold/cat combo, front pipe, and a list of other parts this weekend.

My car is getting just the common upgrades (drop, wheels, font lip, paint body, etc.). It is a Daily Driver/family car at the moment. Soon to get Tan leather seats front and rear from an Integra, engine/transmission, and rear trailing arms (big plans for my budget...lol).

So, will an axle back on a stock exhaust be too loud/raspy? Or will it be nice and quiet and not make me sound like a spoiled high school kid riding around town in his mommy and daddy paid for ride (see it alot around here)?
Old 02-13-2013, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 98 Civic DX Sedan, Axle Back questions.

Originally Posted by Ej2guy28
So, will an axle back on a stock exhaust be too loud/raspy?
Really depends on what kind...a cheapo n1 ebay special will be obnoxious and drone on the freeway. Look for something chambered that has lots of packing. Or better yet, keep the stock exhaust on.

Or will it be nice and quiet and not make me sound like a spoiled high school kid riding around town in his mommy and daddy paid for ride (see it alot around here)?
WTF does this even mean? A highschooler with an exhaust makes them a spoiled kid that parents paid for their car? Okay.....
Old 02-13-2013, 08:04 AM
If you loved me, you'd all sell me your magic cards to me today

So, will an axle back on a stock exhaust be too loud/raspy? Or will it be nice and quiet and not make me sound like a spoiled high school kid riding around town in his mommy and daddy paid for ride (see it alot around here)?
LOL

What are your goals?
Old 02-13-2013, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JuggerNaut-CTR
Really depends on what kind...a cheapo n1 ebay special will be obnoxious and drone on the freeway. Look for something chambered that has lots of packing. Or better yet, keep the stock exhaust on.

WTF does this even mean? A highschooler with an exhaust makes them a spoiled kid that parents paid for their car? Okay.....

You would really need to be here to understand that quote. Riced out Civic's everywhere...I am embarrassed to own a Civic.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:26 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The best thing you can do is spend time on YouTube listening to sound clips.

If you're just doing it for looks, you would be better served getting an exhaust tip and installing it.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My future goals are to work on the interior, engine bay, and doing a rear disc swap. I am thinking that I may be better of getting a wrecked 98-01 Integra GS 4dr with the Tan leather, and just swaping over everything that I can. I plan on doing the swap and then possibly boosting it. I do want to do the seat front & rear in leather for sure though. Although, it is kinda hard with my budget considering I have a 7 month old, bills, and getting my wife a car, which adds to the maintenance portion of the budget). Those are the plans,
Old 02-13-2013, 08:35 AM
If you loved me, you'd all sell me your magic cards to me today

My future goals are to work on the interior, engine bay, and doing a rear disc swap. I am thinking that I may be better of getting a wrecked 98-01 Integra GS 4dr with the Tan leather, and just swaping over everything that I can. I plan on doing the swap and then possibly boosting it. I do want to do the seat front & rear in leather for sure though. Although, it is kinda hard with my budget considering I have a 7 month old, bills, and getting my wife a car, which adds to the maintenance portion of the budget). Those are the plans,
Focus on your kid and making your car safe if money is tight.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:36 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Worry about one thing at a time. Especially working on a limited budget, if you try doing everything at once, you're only going to start hating the car.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I understand that, I just signed for all the parts (manifold, frontpipe, control arms, and outter tie rod ends from FeDex). The manifold is cracked, and the front end is shot. Will be getting all that taken care of this weekend. Rack is going to be a pain in the butt, but it has to be done. The car will be safe when it is done, just...so...plain!
Old 02-13-2013, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it kind of sucks seeing all that unexpected money come in, and then it being gone in less than a day. My Ej2 was totaled, and the money from that went to fix this one. Needed to take care of the exhaust fumes coming into the car, exspecailly when my son is in it.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:05 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Good luck finding Integra/4-door interior that is tan leather; I'm having a hard enough time finding the black-leather-rear-seats from an Integra 4-door, it's damn near impossible lol.

Keep your eye on the forums here and craigslist though; front-leather seats from Integras are always for sale, and usually in decent condition.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:07 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I created a thread in the HT market place with what I wanted, and had a response the next day from someone in Canada. The Acura EL sedan rear seats are a true direct bolt-in, even better than DB8 rears. Also easier to find.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:54 PM
Trial User

Hey 98 Civic 1.6 auto tran, recently my car started making an odd grinding or noise, it usually starts after i drive about 10km at 100kph then when i slow to 80 it stops allowing me to speed up again, it will then start again a few km down the road. The odd time it will start at lower speeds but always stops when i slow down for a short period. all fluids are topped up... any ideas?
Old 02-14-2013, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by traviscarlson
Hey 98 Civic 1.6 auto tran, recently my car started making an odd grinding or noise, it usually starts after i drive about 10km at 100kph then when i slow to 80 it stops allowing me to speed up again, it will then start again a few km down the road. The odd time it will start at lower speeds but always stops when i slow down for a short period. all fluids are topped up... any ideas?
First idea that comes to mind is.....make your own damn thread instead of jacking someone else's like a chump.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:25 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
I created a thread in the HT market place with what I wanted, and had a response the next day from someone in Canada. The Acura EL sedan rear seats are a true direct bolt-in, even better than DB8 rears. Also easier to find.
But how much did it cost you to have them shipped to you?
Old 02-14-2013, 08:34 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by PHAHEEM
But how much did it cost you to have them shipped to you?
Four bills for the seats, shipped. Amazing condition, with belts. Definitely not complaining. Gotta do it right the first time, and Acura EL seats are as right as you can get. The EL isn't anything more than a rebadged Civic when it comes down to it.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:46 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

buy an OBX ws2 replica for 60 on ebay,those are quiet especially with stock piping..
Old 02-14-2013, 08:46 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
Four bills for the seats, shipped. Amazing condition, with belts. Definitely not complaining. Gotta do it right the first time, and Acura EL seats are as right as you can get. The EL isn't anything more than a rebadged Civic when it comes down to it.
That's not a bad deal, though I paid $220 for my pair of front Integra leather seats; mint condition. I'm curious to see what the EL rear seats look like, can you post some pics?
Old 02-14-2013, 08:55 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Just a sample pic I found from deschlong. When I get them and install them (probably a few weeks) I'll post some pics. Should hopefully have the front seats completed and wired by then, too.