Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

'98 Civic DX Issue in need of Opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2022, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '98 Civic DX Issue in need of Opinions.

Hello. About 3 days ago I noticed that my 98 Civic DX was mildy dripping a fluid after I parked. I was able to determine it was green colored and knew it was coolant. I checked the coolant level and it was topped off as usual. And I completely placed the radiator cap back on. I must first say that my car is NOT overheating and shows no signs of overheating...yet. The dash temp gauge still levels out around a tad below the imaginary halfway line. So today I had been riding around town, about 15 minutes, and ending up at local Walmart. When I was searching for parking, I noticed white smoke coming from underneath the hood. I parked, popped the hood and noticed wetness and splatter around the radiator cap and it had ran, dripped down the fan, etc. Not too much, but enough. After shopping I called closest auto store, NAPA, and drove to get a new radiator cap. I was able to drive there and back home, about 15 minute driving, paying close attention to my temp gauge and made it back home without any signs of overheating. I decided to snap a couple pics of my issue to upload and post here to try and get much better opinions than my own and see if my radiator cap is the most likely culprit. I do have the new cap and will replace it, but time will tell I imagine. But still would like someone else's opinion(s). I also checked the radiator hoses which appear to be tightly secured and non-leaking. My idea that it's the radiator cap is because of the residue around the cap and on my hood after I opened it, seing the coolant on the underside of the hood where it is over the cap when the hood is closed. Thanks for yalls thoughts, etc.

Old 01-19-2022, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 274 Likes on 262 Posts
Default Re: '98 Civic DX Issue in need of Opinions.

Looks like its just the cap. You can usually tell if its the radiator leaking. Try a new cap and see if it holds the psi.
Old 01-20-2022, 03:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@wunfstgsr thanks. but i tried the new cap and let the car run for about 10 minutes and then drove up and down a lane and when I checked it is still leaking - around the same area. i noticed that the black foam at the top-front of the radiator was sopping wet. also, the cap was not even warm to the touch after running. and it was still dripping onto the pavement as well. may just check local yards for new-used radiator.
Old 01-20-2022, 07:42 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

Plastic end tank failure on the radiator. It's either cracked or is leaking where the core is crimped on. Time for a new radiator.
The following users liked this post:
Old 01-20-2022, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wvuFan
@wunfstgsr thanks. but i tried the new cap and let the car run for about 10 minutes and then drove up and down a lane and when I checked it is still leaking - around the same area. i noticed that the black foam at the top-front of the radiator was sopping wet. also, the cap was not even warm to the touch after running. and it was still dripping onto the pavement as well. may just check local yards for new-used radiator.
Yea its the radiator slap a used one in or a factory replacement from a auto store.
Old 01-21-2022, 05:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by wvuFan
Its your money BUT a new radiator is only 75 dollars AMerican. You will spend 25 for a used radiator and 25 for coolant for a total savings of 25 dollars. When the used radiator pops, you will have to spend that money AGAIN. Do it right the first time and save yourself the hassle
Old 01-21-2022, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by youstolemybeer
Its your money BUT a new radiator is only 75 dollars AMerican. You will spend 25 for a used radiator and 25 for coolant for a total savings of 25 dollars. When the used radiator pops, you will have to spend that money AGAIN. Do it right the first time and save yourself the hassle
Yea and most radiators will come with a good replacement warranty at least 1 year
Old 01-23-2022, 11:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 140 Likes on 132 Posts

Clean the whole area where you saw it leaking. Let the car cool down completely. Start the car and see if it’s leaking from the actual radiator near where the cap is.
I had a tiny leak from near the top of my radiator and I thought it was the cap, so I replaced the cap, only to find out the radiator was cracked on the top near the cap. Also your radiator hoses look old so if they are stiff they can cause the engine movements to slam against the radiator. Your radiator hoses should be flexible.
Might as well just spend the money on a new radiator and radiator hoses. And might as well do a thermostat while your at it.