Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

97 Hatch....planning a swap.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Hatch....planning a swap.

Hi everybody. It's been a while since I last posted here. I have not owned a Honda since 2005. I recently acquired a 97 hatchback CX from my brother. Suddenly I have the urge to start a project for daily driving. Nothing fancy I just missed the sound of vtec. I am planning either a B16 or a B18 (gsr) swap on it. My question would be will the stock brakes be enough to handle the added power from these motors since the rear is drum brakes? I don't want to end up starting something and ends up being a money pit. I do prefer a USDM motor for smog purposes. I understand the cost associated with the motor swap. I just needed to know what else I would need outside the swap. Also, I would appreciate if any of you guys can suggest places you had experience with motor swaps here in Orange County, CA. Thanks in advance. I appreciate any input you guys can provide.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:21 PM

you shouldnt have any real problems
Old 07-16-2007, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lsvgrey)

just a suggestion...how many miles is on the stock d motor. Because if not many, you could boost it for fairly cheap. Even a d16y8 won't set you back very far if you need to purchase another one.

Also, your rear drums will be just fine. B motors, especially in stock form, are not power houses that really need the rear discs. And if you're not interested in making this project a money pit( which i can understand) , keep it simple with lip, suspension, wheels, and motor. But as far as forced induction, many ppl have peiced together turbo kits from junk yards for 1500-2000 grand. B motor naturally have more potential since they're dohc, so it's up to you and your budget.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Boost_V)

Only thing is that smog restrictions suck if you are going junkyard turbo. Its just like swapping in an LS-Vtec or B20anything... no chance of getting it BAR'd.

I know a good guy that can do motor swaps in the OC/LA area...
Old 07-17-2007, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks everybody for giving me an honest input. I am highly considering a B16 motor at this time. After I sold my 99 Civic SI I got into a project 00 Prelude that I ended up installing a JRSC. It was a pretty expensive project that lasted for 1 1/2 year before the headgasket blew. Again, thanks everybody. It's been a while since I last messed with a Honda I just wanted to refresh my memory as to what I can do "budgetwise" with this car.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Boost_V)

"just a suggestion...how many miles is on the stock d motor. Because if not many, you could boost it for fairly cheap. Even a d16y8 won't set you back very far if you need to purchase another one.
Also, your rear drums will be just fine. B motors, especially in stock form, are not power houses that really need the rear discs. And if you're not interested in making this project a money pit( which i can understand) , keep it simple with lip, suspension, wheels, and motor. But as far as forced induction, many ppl have peiced together turbo kits from junk yards for 1500-2000 grand. B motor naturally have more potential since they're dohc, so it's up to you and your budget."

The motor has 160k on it. Actually a turbo setup was just taken off the car and was sold by my brother. Unfortunately none of the stock parts was kept by my brother. I am caught between buying the missing stock parts and keeping the car with the stock motor or getting a new one in there. The reason being is that the motor needed a timing belt change as well. My biggest concern is spending the money to get it running with the stock motor not knowing how long it would last due to high mileage. My point is I'd prefer spending the money once because doing it twice will cost more and will be time consuming.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (marlim4lude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95ProjectEJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Only thing is that smog restrictions suck if you are going junkyard turbo. Its just like swapping in an LS-Vtec or B20anything... no chance of getting it BAR'd.

I know a good guy that can do motor swaps in the OC/LA area...</TD></TR></TABLE> good point

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by marlim4lude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
The motor has 160k on it. Actually a turbo setup was just taken off the car and was sold by my brother. Unfortunately none of the stock parts was kept by my brother. I am caught between buying the missing stock parts and keeping the car with the stock motor or getting a new one in there. The reason being is that the motor needed a timing belt change as well. My biggest concern is spending the money to get it running with the stock motor not knowing how long it would last due to high mileage. My point is I'd prefer spending the money once because doing it twice will cost more and will be time consuming. </TD></TR></TABLE>

If i were you, just get another motor. High mileage already been on aftermarket parts and turbo kits (which probably means the motor is even in worse shape) Personally, if i put hard work into getting a motor running again and something just failed after a week or so, i'd be pissed. Just do things right the first time B16 is a good choice, especially if you put it up to some boost.....but i almost forgot about smog. http://weaksauceparts.com/store/home.php?cat=1762 these guys have pretty good prices on their kits, better than other places.