Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

97 Civic Hx Mechanical Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Civic Hx Mechanical Help!

I have a 97 civic hx with some mechanical problems(please bare with me as I'm a noob mechanics)
1.My main problem right now is my shifting. Whoever had my car before me converted it from automatic to manual, I can hear my shiftlinkage rattling underneath the car, for a while my shifting got really hard to change gears, i got it fixed about 8 months ago, it was some pad that had worn out, however the problem is back, its to the point where I cant reverse with out grinding gears 3 or 4 times before it slips in. Gears 4 and 5 go in with ease, but 1,2,3 and mainly reverse suck. My question is what is causing this to go out so quick and what can I do to fix it.

2. Because my shifting was so hard I had been trying to force the damn thing to slip in gear and yes Im a dumbass and actually snaped my shifting rod(if thats the correct name for it) I'm really just needing the name for that part so i can replace it. I dont want to walk in to a junkyard and be like, hey do you have a shifting thingamabob for a civic.

3. When I first bought the car the shift rod thing was loose, a normal shift rod has sort of a spring or somthing that when its in neutral if you push it to the left and let go it springs back to the middle. Well Mine didnt when I first bought the car, So my dad had it fixed, with some other work like fixing the ac and they may have replaced teh ecu i dont know. Well when I got it back I noticed that whenever I Hit about 5k rpms it seemed to have resistance, almost like there was somthing keeping it from reaching 6k it would slowly go up but its as there was somthing pushing back at it. The best way I can explain it is, that my friend had this problem once when he turbo'd his civic, he explained it as when he got into high rpms it felt like there was a wall of resistance keeping his rpms to rise fast. He then fixed it and said he had the wrong chip in it????I have no idea about turbo so I didnt know what he was talking about, but remembering that, im wondering if this problem was caused because they replaced my ecu? I dont know.

Well if any of you have any suggestions on my problems please help out,, Let me know what I can do myself, Im not the best mechanic or even a good one, but I do have the right tools, I install car audio so I have some hefty tools that I could use. If you guys could identify the problems and maybe help me out with some solutions, and suggestions to what I can do myself and if you reccomend me having it done somewhere I would really really really appreciate it! Thanks so much for taking your time out to help
-Ricky
Old 11-15-2006, 07:42 PM

Anyone?
Old 11-15-2006, 11:24 PM

bump
Old 11-16-2006, 10:16 AM

Bump again plz help
Old 11-16-2006, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Ricky Bizee)

I have a 96 hx with auto and it shifts exactly the same way you describe yours (well technically it doesn't shift - cvt tranny) But it revs up and the needle slows down to about 5k rpm. This is the ecu and the CVT tranny adjusting to achieve better fuel economy. The D16y5 hx engine's powerband is concentrated in the midrange rpm. Vtec-e (the hx head) is designed for good fuel economy, not high rpm power like the D16z6 or D16y8 heads are. As for the pad wering out, do you mean your shifter bushing? it is a rubber piece behind the shifter on the bottom of the floorboard. Replace it with a polyurethane bushing and see if that helps your shifting. Summit Racing sells the polyurethane bushings for your shifter for about $12. The thing that you broke sounds like the Shifter itself. (the stick that the shift **** screws onto). You can find cheap shifters on ebay, or head to the junkyard and tell then you need the shifter.