Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

96 Del Sol Door Lock Actuator Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Del Sol Door Lock Actuator Replacement

Dear Forum members,
for many years I have been relying on the information that many of you have contributed and I thank you very much.
Until very recently I have been mainly an active member of the 8th civic forum because one of my cars is a 09 civic.
Recently however I got a 96 Del Sol Si and have been needing to reference the previous generation forums.

Here is what is going on, my 96 Si came with factory door lock actuators and central locking system. Very recently the drivers side door lock actuator stop responding to when I push the lock or unlock button inside the car,
while the passenger door lock actuator responds fine.
This simple test got me to the conclusion that the actuator was the issue.

I am faced with two options, somehow figure out how to remove the actuator and replace it with the exact factory replacement (100-150$ EEEKkkkkk)
OR
My second consideration was to get a cheap aftermarket actuator for the rod system and wire it into the factory lock/unlock mechanism and just attach the actuator to the rod properly.

With option 2, I run into an issue of there being 4 wires going to the actuator, while most aftermarket actuators come with either 5 or 2 wires.
So I don't know how to properly integrate that?

One thing I will say thats kind of nice is that when I lock my car manually with the key from outside (on the drivers side), it locks the passenger side automatically, that may be one of the functions of the 4 wire factory harness.

Enough words though, if you skipped that whole narrative the basic question is, how would I go about wiring in a normal/standard 2 wire aftermarket actuator into this factory system.

Multimeter measurements:
connection between 1 and 4 = 4.7 volts and voltage goes up when either lock or unlock (to about 4.9V)

connection between 1 and 2 is 0 V , when I lock the doors it receives a brief burst of 12V, but only when I lock, not when I unlock.

I could not find any other strong corelations.
Any help is appreciated, thanks

Old 05-13-2014, 05:48 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: 96 Del Sol Door Lock Actuator Replacement

Wondering what happened to option #3? Get one from junkyard.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Wondering what happened to option #3? Get one from junkyard.
not sure if this makes me silly, but I have never actually been to a junkyard.
I've heard stories that some of those folks really try to rip you off, so then you end up wasting your time, but not first hand experience.

So was looking at a cheap alternative, since a aftermarket 2 wire actuator can cost something like 5$ on ebay, and if it breaks after a few years, just get another for 5$.

I found some OEM actuator on ebay for 130$... so I image a junk yard will probaly want at least 50$

So thats why Im seeing if I can find a work arround.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:16 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Workarounds aren't workarounds if you are planning on them failing or justifying them because of cost. They're called cheap hacks. I would suggest calling up some local yards or even hitting Craigslist and look around some more. Better yet, find a pick and pull where you grab the part yourself.