Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

95 swapped del sol wont start on its own

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 95 swapped del sol wont start on its own

Here is the whole story I have a 95 del sol, the shell is 0BD1. I swapped in a B18A1, which was 0BD0. I took all the steps to swapping the components, so it is compatible with the shell. As the title states the car wont start on its own. It has a brand new cap, rotor, plugs and wires. The fuel pump is functioning. I had a walbro in it at first. I though it was getting to much fuel. So i swapped it for a stock civic pump. The only way it starts is if I spray carb cleaner in the throttle body, while cranking it over and feathering the throttle. Which helps the car fire up and eventually settle down and idle normal at 700 rpm with the temp gauge a little below half way between cold and hot (normal as far as I know from experiences). Any help is greatly appreciated. If this is posted in the wrong section I’m sorry and I will move it.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:54 AM
I'm not Rick!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: 95 swapped del sol wont start on its own

put that walboro back in .
its not the problem.
your getting to much fuel becuae theres no spark to burn it.

check your main relay and spark.
it could be that that ls motor is hexa old and needs some help.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Your ignition timing is entire too advanced or too retarded. Set the distributor in the middle meaning there is even amount of empty space on both side of the bolt. I referring to the upper leg of the distributor. I had this issue in the past. Leave the fuel punp alone for now. Having a bigger pump does not mean you will automatically get more fuel into the engine. I would safely assume you are using stock fuel injectors and a stock fuel pressure regulator.

The injector will only allow so much fuel to be injector into the cylinder via the ecu's fuel tables. Plus even thought the Wablo will move a greater volume of fuel, it is going to exceed the stock fuel pressure regulator's upper limit pressure. When this happens, the fuel pressure regulator will open and vent the pressure. When this happens, the extra fuel is return to the fuel tank. Therefore you getting the same amount of fuel into your engine as you would with a stock fuel pump.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rick_rabies
put that walboro back in .
its not the problem.
your getting to much fuel becuae theres no spark to burn it.

check your main relay and spark.
it could be that that ls motor is hexa old and needs some help.
thank you i have check the main really. i pulled one out of a friends 96 integra. The motor could just be old but it ran before it was pulled.

Originally Posted by jayWknight
Your ignition timing is entire too advanced or too retarded. Set the distributor in the middle meaning there is even amount of empty space on both side of the bolt. I referring to the upper leg of the distributor. I had this issue in the past. Leave the fuel punp alone for now. Having a bigger pump does not mean you will automatically get more fuel into the engine. I would safely assume you are using stock fuel injectors and a stock fuel pressure regulator.

The injector will only allow so much fuel to be injector into the cylinder via the ecu's fuel tables. Plus even thought the Wablo will move a greater volume of fuel, it is going to exceed the stock fuel pressure regulator's upper limit pressure. When this happens, the fuel pressure regulator will open and vent the pressure. When this happens, the extra fuel is return to the fuel tank. Therefore you getting the same amount of fuel into your engine as you would with a stock fuel pump.
Your assumptions are correct with the rest of the fuel system remaining stock. This is a helpfull peice of info thank you. I will try adjusting the timing but like i said to RICK the car started and ran before being removed ?

again thank you and keep the replys coming