Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Del Sol start problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Del Sol start problem

Ive already searched for about three days and I cant seem to find anything that sounds exactly like my problem. About three months ago my 93 del sol si would occasionally have a hard time starting and since then has gradually gotten worse. Now it hardly ever starts after it has been sitting but when i can get it started it runs fine, no hesitation or loss of power. Also, as long as I start it again within a couple hours, it will start again. I replaced the main relay first since most no start issues are because of that. Still wouldn't start so I replaced the fuel pump. Started right up after that so I thought I had it fixed. That only lasted about 3 days or so before it started hard starting again. Next I replaced the fuel filter. Again it would start up everytime for the next 2 days or so, but went back to the symptoms again. Bought a spark plug tester and found spark on all four cylinders. Put a new fuel pressure regulator on it today and still couldn't get it to start. So at this point I know I am getting fuel to the rail. I pulled the entire fuel rail still hooked up and set it on a beach towel on my valve cover and cranked the car. The injectors didn't fire. I Read earlier to check all grounds to make sure they were tight, so I did that and still nothing. At this point I am lost on what to do next. I know the distributor controls spark but does it control injector pulse too? I thought the ecu did that. Sorry for such a long post but I am hoping to get some insight on what to check next. Thanks
Old 02-04-2010, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Del Sol start problem

The computer uses the sensors in the distributor to determine engine timing, including injector timing. If one isn't working correctly then the injectors may spray fuel at the wrong time. The spark plugs end up wet with fuel when this happens. You can test the resistance of these sensors but that doesn't always show if they're having a problem. They come with the distributor so the whole dizzy would need to be replaced if a sensor is faulty. When you checked the spark, was the motor not starting at the time? If you have an intermittent ignition problem, you may need to test the spark when the motor is not starting.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, I tested for spark when the engine was not starting. Was getting spark, but not fuel although fuel is making it to the rail. Injectors just arent engaging. If the sensors are bad in the distributor, would that cause them not to fire at all or just the one you mentioned where they fire at the wrong time?
Old 02-04-2010, 08:19 PM
New User

I had this same problem, replaced a bunch of things and still no go. finally replaced the ignition control module and now it starts up first time everytime. Also a 93 del sol
Old 02-05-2010, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Usually a faulty sensor in the distributor causes the fuel to be sprayed at the wrong time rather than not at all. No injector activity at all most often means a blown fuse or relay. I know you've already checked this. A problem with the dizzy sensors can, theoreticly, cause no fuel to be sprayed. I haven't seen this happen myself, though. I would guess that this would occur if multiple sensors were bad. After re-skimming the thread, I don't see that you've verified whether or not the injectors are working. They should either be checked with a noid light or you can also listen for their clicking with a stethoscope.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, finally got around to messing with it again today. I was curious as to why i didnt have a CEL so I pulled the cluster and what do you know, the bulb is missing. Pulled the bulb from the battery indicator and stuck it in that spot and now I have a CEL. Suprise suprise. Anyway, I jumped the service connector to count the flashes and it stayed lit solid. I remembered reading somewhere that a solid light indicated a problem with the ecu. I pulled the ecu, took the top off to see if maybe I could see anything that may look out of place. I thought maybe since it was an intermittent problem maybe it was due to a loose solder joint similar to what happens to the main relay. Nothing looked out of place so I checked all the harnesses and cleaned them up a bit, plugged it all back up and now the car starts right up. Hopefully it was just a loose connection of some sort and it is fixed for good. Just wanted to update the thread now that the problem is fixed. Thanks