Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

95 LX won't turn over after disconnecting negative cable...

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 01:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 LX won't turn over after disconnecting negative cable...

OK, let me start from the beginning. My 95 Civic LX always leaks hot air into the cabin & the fan settings don't work. I disconnected the negative battery cable and:

1) Checked under-the-hood fuses & relays
2) Undid glovebox & removed blower motor, 4-pin resistor, & recirculation control motor
3) Autozone was about to close so I decided to do it next weekend.
4) Tried to reconnect negative battery cable & horn honked.
5) I thought maybe a circuit wasn't completing? I don't know. So I put everything back together.
6) No luck. Horn honks whenever I try to reconnect negative cable.
7) Unhooked the power at the horn.

Now when I try to start the car:

1) Flashing hazard lights for about a minute then stops.
2) Red light left of steering wheel flashes 3X, pauses, 3X, pauses, etc. Repeats pattern.
3) Power locks now work (forgot to mention that they stopped before).
4) Engine won't crank over.

Really don't know much about car (neither did the seller). How would I know if there is a stock alarm? What now? Help! I need the car to get to work. I've tried to search the forums but I don't know if mine is a different situation. My cruise control never worked (if that's relevant).

I welcome any input. Thanks.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 95 LX won't turn over after disconnecting negative cable...

Sounds like an alarm sytem prolly an afternarket. If you look under your dash drivers side you should see a small toggle switch somewhere. Flip it. If you dont have one
Then look under the dash for an alarm sytem prolly be a black box ziptied to something to hold it in place. Usually u can just unplug it to turn the alarm system off. Now if you think its a factory alarm system you can just goto the dealer with the vin number and they can look it up to see what it came with and if it is factory they can get you a new remote but more than likely its an aftermarket one also yours may have a switch that looks like a red light that turns the alarm off instead of a small toggle switch
Old 05-10-2012, 11:18 AM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^

I was thinking the same thing..
Some idiot decided to hook an alarm system up to the AC/Heater lines incase someone wanted to steal it.. lol
Old 05-10-2012, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

someone had an alarm on it before you and it tripped because you took the battery out. go under the drivers side and remove it, and connect the wires back like stock. and then buy your own alarm.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i had the same issue look under the steering column for some tapping into wires tape,wire taps anything that doesn't look factory
Old 05-11-2012, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by em1hondaguy
Sounds like an alarm sytem prolly an afternarket. If you look under your dash drivers side you should see a small toggle switch somewhere. Flip it. If you dont have one
Then look under the dash for an alarm sytem prolly be a black box ziptied to something to hold it in place. Usually u can just unplug it to turn the alarm system off. Now if you think its a factory alarm system you can just goto the dealer with the vin number and they can look it up to see what it came with and if it is factory they can get you a new remote but more than likely its an aftermarket one also yours may have a switch that looks like a red light that turns the alarm off instead of a small toggle switch
Originally Posted by EsotericImage
^

I was thinking the same thing..
Some idiot decided to hook an alarm system up to the AC/Heater lines incase someone wanted to steal it.. lol
Originally Posted by mmrkulic
i had the same issue look under the steering column for some tapping into wires tape,wire taps anything that doesn't look factory
Originally Posted by 92lxsleeper
someone had an alarm on it before you and it tripped because you took the battery out. go under the drivers side and remove it, and connect the wires back like stock. and then buy your own alarm.
Thanks everyone, I poked underneath and found a box underneath marked w/ nothing but "KARR". Now for the next step:

1) Should I keep it? (I don't have another alarm yet.) If I do, how do I reset it & get a key?

or

2) Should I get rid of it? There are so many wires. I can see one wire going straight to the starter. That one I should disconnect. But am I going to have to follow all of them?

Last edited by vicpacdo; 05-11-2012 at 05:28 AM. Reason: grammar