Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

95 civic won't stay running/won't start

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 civic won't stay running/won't start

Ok I have a 95 ex coupe with the d16z6 aem short ram intake an auto trans started my car after work an it ran for about a minute now it won't stay running, when I turn the key it acts like it will start but stumbles then dies. I did notice last nite it stumbled a lil then cleared up then died but started fine now it won't start any ideas or maybe somewhere I can look that might indicate what's wrong? No cels nothing on the dash that indicates a problem if you guys need more info or anything just post up cause I'm stuck at work an want to go home lol thanks guys
Old 04-18-2010, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 95 civic won't stay running/won't start

Ok it starts but when it get to the run ciruit it dies about a minute after it starts checked the iacv, map sensor all the connectors an nothing so I'm stumped on this one oh an I'm still at work haha
Old 04-18-2010, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No one with any I sight?
Old 04-18-2010, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do a spark check, my guess is it will come out ok. After that check your fuel pump to make sure its coming on (key to 2nd click right before crank pos.). Listen to your backseat to see if you hear whirring noise. After you know the pump is running replace your fuel filter. The FF is my guess.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check for spark then fuel and if everything is good chances are its the main relay.

you have to find the main relay, take it apart and desolder and apply new solder to every point on the circuit. make sure you clean it up and keep it clean. if your not good with soldering get someone else to do it.

in the meantime check all your fuses, filters and after you get it running go over your whole car and do a complete tune up and replace what your budget allows.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Weak/Bad igntion coil or main relay are my 2 cents
Old 04-19-2010, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by kaduku_
check for spark then fuel and if everything is good chances are its the main relay.

you have to find the main relay, take it apart and desolder and apply new solder to every point on the circuit. make sure you clean it up and keep it clean. if your not good with soldering get someone else to do it.

in the meantime check all your fuses, filters and after you get it running go over your whole car and do a complete tune up and replace what your budget allows.
That's a good catch. I had the same problem with my 90 civic. So a toss up between main relay and fuel filter.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Still having start up issues gonna replace the fuel filter today then I'll check the main relay but I kno it's not the problem cause my bro in law already checked it an it's still working properly so if it's not the FF then I'm stumped
Old 04-22-2010, 12:57 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by 95civtecex
Still having start up issues gonna replace the fuel filter today then I'll check the main relay but I kno it's not the problem cause my bro in law already checked it an it's still working properly so if it's not the FF then I'm stumped

right when it starts up and starts to stumble turn the key a tiny bit forward just enough so the starter wont re-engage. if it stays running you know its your ingnition switch. about a year ago my car was having the same issues as yours, i tried that and it ran fine, drove it to the auto parts store holding the key in place lol, then replaced it and all is good since.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's the thing tho it don't stumble before it dies it as if someone was playing a prank an turns the key off it just dies as if you turned it off, just replaced the fuel filter an it only died once so maybe a bubble in the line haven't drivin it that long yet just took it around the block an that's when it died the once so Ima let it cool an try again
Old 04-22-2010, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok went to leave rite now an it did the same thing just shut off an now won't start so I'm lost, anyone kno if something could be wrong with the ecu or something else electrical related? what about the idle air control valve could that be bad? Thanks for all the help so far guys
Old 04-22-2010, 05:59 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

did you check to see if it was getting spark from the wires, you could have a short.?
Old 04-22-2010, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's getting spark or atleast enough to start it but then just dies so I'll check that it just sucks cause this is my dd/family car sucks havin to borrow a car
Old 04-22-2010, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pull off the dizzy cap and check condition of cap and rotor, also pull all the spark plugs and check them if any are burnt out or what not, sound to me like it might be the dizzy starting to go out, if you know the wiring you can also ohm check the ignition coil
Old 04-23-2010, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by cityslicker1606
right when it starts up and starts to stumble turn the key a tiny bit forward just enough so the starter wont re-engage. if it stays running you know its your ingnition switch. about a year ago my car was having the same issues as yours, i tried that and it ran fine, drove it to the auto parts store holding the key in place lol, then replaced it and all is good since.
I remember this happened to me as well. Its something to check but I would look at the Main relay first. It can be intermitent. It may test fine one time and then not work the next. Mine did it for so long and i finally replaced it and everything was fine. Thats what I would focus on if I were you. Heat runs havoc on those damn little black boxes. While you have your ign. wires unpluged might as well check the switch too. Toss up between the two.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for all the help guys but I still haven't figured out the problem, where is the main relay? Is it the grey one behnd driver side kck panel? An ima check the dizzy but I just replaced it not even a year ago
Old 05-19-2010, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I pulled the dizzy cap an see metal shavings in the cap but don't see anything that could cause those could it be something else insde the dizzy? Maybe a new cap couldn't hurt cause the contact points are lookin a lil worn but this dizzy is maybe a year old so I wouldn't think it went bad
Old 05-19-2010, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Could it be alternator? Someone told me it could cause it to die if it was goin bad
Old 05-21-2010, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Main relay should be a bigger relay usually black and mounted to the inner hinge pillar. Usually all the way to the left around where your shin would be while driving. Pain in the but to get to w/o removing the dash but its doable.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ps its not the alternator. If the alternator wasnt working the battery would be dead and you wouldnt be able to start your car by itself.
Old 05-31-2017, 04:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did anyone ever figure out this problem? I have the same issue with my 88 civic SE. I will do some explaining of my situation. I purchased the car over the internet long distance. The car had been parked for the winter by the previous owner. He put the battery in and it fired up immediately and ran. He had only pushed the battery cables on and not tightened them. When he went to tighten them he accidentally let the ratchet fall and short out against the other terminal. When he went to start the car again it would not run. It fires while cranking but as soon as it starts is dies.
He replaced the main relay and checked all of the fuses. The alternator was faulty and he sent a new one with it and I replaced the alternator, that is the only work I have done to it yet. While doing it I checked the grounds to the engine and they are all tight.
Any ideas?