Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

95 civic gets stuck at 1500 RPMs when rev-ed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 civic gets stuck at 1500 RPMs when rev-ed?

Hello! i have a 1995 honda civic EX 1.6 VTEC D16Z6 5 speed.

I bought the car as a project car as i wanted a civic and also wanted something cheap i could learn stick on! it was wrecked in the front pretty good. but i fixed it all up! did a real good. but anyways.

After all that i have this 1500 rpm problem. i can't even go threw a parking lot. nor can my friend who drive a STI around. so i knew it was no just me.

What happens is you rav the car up just a little and it seems to get cought at 1300-1600 rpms and just goes back and forth. and by the time you ease into the gas just to get a little higher it jumps to 3000. so im at a loss

Car just jerks really hard and i can't drive it around in slow traffic and slow turns. it kinda sucks after all the work i did.

So if anyone could give me some pointers. i'm sure its not a vac leak. ive cleaned both the throttle and ICV and have adjusted the FIV. the car idles at about 1000-1100 rpms which seems a little high but its a 95 so yea and 1100 is not to high to hurt anything.

Any help would be great!!
Old 03-12-2015, 09:33 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 95 civic gets stuck at 1500 RPMs when rev-ed?

Make sure you have your spark plugs in the correct order, and check your mechanical and ignition timing.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:05 AM
Loves Tossing Salad

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Check you TPS. Make sure it's within spec. Mine did that, wasn't as bad but the TPS was out of whack. Once I calibrated it, problem went away.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:01 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

If the above to poster's suggestions are all okay and good and check out fine then try cleaning up the IACV. I highly doubt it is the issue as much as the TPS but if the TPS is good as well as all the ignition stuff (proper firing order and mechanical and ignition timing good) then it would be the next area I would cleanup as it does control air and indirectly the idle settings.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Try pulling up on the pedal when this happens, your throttle cable may be sticking. If it is, get a new one. Also, did you try adjusting your idle screw?
Old 03-15-2015, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OK!
umm so i was looking at my TPS. and looked up how to test it and started testing and then i saw a plug hanging. it was the plug to the IACV.. i was like really!?! wtf

SO! i plugged it back in and i was like well crap lets start it up!

OMG it's worse haha it idles to high 2000 rpms. and when warmed up it's like 1500. and thennn it starts surging back and forth. i'm just like wtf.

I unplugged it and boom 900 rpm idle even cold. all good just gets stuck at the 1500 rpms area still. and no surging. but iv'e been driving with that unplugged so i was like how it drives pretty good besides low speeds it jerks but other then that i can drive around doing 40+ no problem. i don't drive it really i have my auto accord kuz i'm still learning stick but yea.

Any ideas now? is my iacv bad? i remember it did all this serging and crap and he did something i guess he unplugged it. but before that he cleaned it and all. so idk. coolant is good and full.

Pretty sure my tps is good then i did not fully test it but the iacv seems to be the problem i guess.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:18 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You were given 4 things to check, and went for #5. Why would you ask for help if you aren't going to listen to it? If there's more information, then why didn't you give that to us to start? Why wait two days?

It's obvious that your CEL is going to be on. Pull the codes. Post them. Then plug your IACV back in, reset the ECU, and pull codes again. Post that list of codes as well. IF you tell me your CEL isn't on, I'm going to tell you you're lying, so don't waste either of our time.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well that's rude... I checked my spark plugs re-gaped them and everything...
and checked my timing. TPS was the second post. i read them all. My friend cleaned the IACV already that was the 3ed post. and i tested the cable but its good. and the idle screw as been adjusted as well and did not help. that was the 4th post. i did all the easy things first then started on tps and found the IACV cable.

I just got this car! i have no idea what goes on with it. It used to be an auto and now 5 speed if that helps.

NOW! guess what. I SWEAR UP AND DOWN MAN. my cel is not on. if you lived in my area i would show you....i can make a video! dude its not on. and the iacv is unplugged. i don't know what to tell you. i don't have exp working on these or i would not be asking for help.

I'm not going to lie and say something that's not true b/c that gets me no where.

SO. the IACV is unplugged and i have no CEL. i have a 90 cavalier so i know how to run a CEL OBD1 so if there was one i would. sorry.

Last edited by Cloud slife; 03-16-2015 at 05:35 AM. Reason: spell check
Old 03-16-2015, 09:15 AM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

When you turn the key to the on position (II) (one click before cranking the car over to start).

You dash lights should light up. Is one of them the CEL for 2 seconds as the fuel pump rimes then turn off?

If you don't see the CEL light up at all, the bulb is either burned out or the bulb was pulled to sell the car.

I would do the simple test of turning the car on and make sure the CEL lights up then shuts off 2 seconds later. I suspect the bulb was pulled so you thought all was well.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

alright so it was out. so i took out my dash cluster and got another light to work for it. so went to test it and it blinked like 8 or 9 times and went away...and i guess its out again kuz the light won't come back. ill just have to buy some new one's.

So i did a test on the IACV that i was told to do. and that is. make sure it's plugged in and disconnect the batt or 5 mins. then try and if the car acts up still its prob the iacv...

so with that all said i guess thanks... i have to order the lights i need a blinker, CEL and a back light. so yea..and ill just try a new IACV. if not ill look around more before i ask.

But quick question. i bought the car wrecked in the front. so after all that. the headers have a little dent like 2 small dents no holes. no bends. just small dents on the pipe that has the 02 sensor. would that cause the 02 sensor to go wack seeing as headers are designed to stay the way they came? they are after market but idk what brand. ill get a new header soon. seeing as its already been done and looks like crap anyways might as well get a nice set.