Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

'95 Civic - Can I use a junkyard crankshaft?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 '95 Civic - Can I use a junkyard crankshaft?

I got a '95 Civic EX 1.6 Liter 4 speed AT and the harmonic balancer pulley fell off, the 17mm bolt broke that holds it on. This chewed up the keyway and pulley hole so I need a crank and pulley now. Can I use a junkyard pulley for this will it work? Can I just "put it in" or do I have to have the crankshaft sent out to a machine shop and have it checked and/or cut?

Thanks.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:36 AM
I'm not Rick!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: '95 Civic - Can I use a junkyard crankshaft?

its only $40 to have a crank balanced and micropolished...very very worth it considering all the work you have to do to put it in...why not just get another junk yard motor. about the same price, and just drop it in.
if you were driving and you pulley broke off....you will have damage inside da mota
Old 09-04-2009, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rick_rabies
its only $40 to have a crank balanced and micropolished...very very worth it considering all the work you have to do to put it in...why not just get another junk yard motor. about the same price, and just drop it in.
if you were driving and you pulley broke off....you will have damage inside da mota
...ugh. I do [have damage inside da mota]. The motor ran perfect but when took apart and put in a junkyard crank, now engine knocks when at 2K RPM or when driving. (I do not drive it.) I thought maybe it was because I put crank in without sending it to shop first, thought I could pull the crank, send it out, put it back, and all will be fine but don't wanna do that and find out engine is NOT fine.

My mechanic says he can find a junkyard engine for this car for like $350 but he has to look all around and it takes time to find something like that. I am low on funds now.

But my real question is: Change the motor or take a chance on sending out crank at this point. Sounds to me like you are saying "change da mota" and I for sure respect that. Tanks bra!

Anyone else care to second this or what do you all think?

Last edited by Ohmster; 09-04-2009 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 09-04-2009, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

remember that you will need to get new bearings that are sized for the new crank and measure properly. Not all cranks have the same tolerances, That's why honda has a bearing system that is rated by color for different thicknesses.

Here's what I mean: http://www.civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=21
Old 09-04-2009, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by teal_dx
remember that you will need to get new bearings that are sized for the new crank and measure properly. Not all cranks have the same tolerances, That's why honda has a bearing system that is rated by color for different thicknesses.

Here's what I mean: http://www.civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=21
Wow, what an excellent reference post! I wish the last question on that URL was answered like "What is the correct clearance for rods and main in the motor. I was trying to figure that out myself. I was thinking maybe .005 or so but I am only guessing.

I did not actually "just put in the junkyard crank". My mechanic did that and was disgusted when he heard the knock. I was hoping for a somewhat cheaper and easier fix than a whole 'nother motor as I have spent a lot of money by doing this freaking motor piecemeal. I should have put in a JY motor from jump street with a warranty and have been done with it but no, mechanic tried to fix each catastrophe as it appeared until the motor and tranny ended up being replaced.

Unless there were some easy way to check if crank cutting worked before putting the motor in the car I think we have to go with another motor. He will replace the motor again at no cost but I doubt he will do it twice if the crank does not work (again).

Really thanks man for the help and the bearing link, I appreciate the hell out of it. Anyone else have an opinion or advice, it sure would be welcome here. Thanks me bros.