Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

94 EJ1 Air Conditioning Help! Climate control malfunction?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 EJ1 Air Conditioning Help! Climate control malfunction?

I need help! I searched already and found no help...

My A/C works fine at night and in the morning, but during the daytime it doesn't work at all. The condenser doesn't even turn on when it's hot outside.

I took it to an air and electric place and he found no leaks and my freon levels were fine. He thinks there is most likely some type of electrical problem inside the car.

Since I am in hotter than blazes Austin, TX, the inside of my car sees temps of 150 degrees on a hot and sunny day. My theory is that the plastic gets warped just enough, or perhaps metal expands just enough where some kind of switch to turn on the condenser is unable to be activated. I veryified this fact today when my a/c wasn't working and I gave my climate control unit a few quick knocks and boom my a/c kicked in.

Does anyone know the remedy to this problem? Is there any way I can fix this without getting raped by a Honda dealership? I was planning on taking my dash apart anyway to change my cluster/climate control lighting, but I have no idea what to look for as far as connections go. Please help, its f-ing hot!!!

Thanks!
Old 06-14-2005, 05:57 PM

Default Re: 94 EJ1 Air Conditioning Help! Climate control malfunction? (TC21)

i would say pull out your climate control and make sure all the wires are connected tightly and everything
Old 06-14-2005, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 94 EJ1 Air Conditioning Help! Climate control malfunction? (civiccpedx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civiccpedx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i would say pull out your climate control and make sure all the wires are connected tightly and everything</TD></TR></TABLE>Precisely. Your condensor doesn't "turn on"- it's your radiator for the A/C. I would assume you mean your compressor. In this case I would recommend to you that you follow the above advice. Check connections, and check hoses for leaks and/or cracks. Look for leaks in A/C system connections. By this I mean look for bad o-rings, gaskets, or loose hose clamps. Hope this helps at all.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:54 PM
#1 Super Guy

Received 124 Likes on 118 Posts
Default Re: 94 EJ1 Air Conditioning Help! Climate control malfunction? (hatchling37)

If you have to smack your climat control to get the AC to turn on, you definently want to remove & inspect it. The Condesor fan should be on the whole time your AC compressor is running. If you have the Helms manual, it has really nice flow charts on how to diagnose AC problems. You just follow the steps, and it will eventually lead you to the source of your problems. Your may need a volt/ohm meeter, and a paper clip, but nothing really special. If you don't have a them Helms manual, you shouldn't be working on your car IMO...
Old 06-14-2005, 09:57 PM

Default Re: 94 EJ1 Air Conditioning Help! Climate control malfunction? (94eg!)

I think I will check the connections back there. I don't think there are any problems as far as any hoses or gakets or anything. I hope that I can remedy the situation by just making sure the connections are good. Thanks for the advice. Also, could I just get this manual you speak of at an O'Reilly's or Autozone? Thanks.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:20 AM
#1 Super Guy

Received 124 Likes on 118 Posts
Default Re: 94 EJ1 Air Conditioning Help! Climate control malfunction? (TC21)

No you cannot get them at parts stores. Helms manuals are re-prints of the Honda factory service manual, and you have to order them from http://www.helminc.com. They cost around $60-$70 and their 1500 pages of information on just your year make & model. You could buy them at honda, but I'm sure they charge an extra $40 or more. It's the best $70 you could EVER spend if you are going to be working on your own car (or your firends)...