Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

94 EG/Turbo GSR has a vacuum leak and idles at 2500 rpm

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 EG/Turbo GSR has a vacuum leak and idles at 2500 rpm

First i would like to say sorry because my typing is bad and i am very tired. So sorry for the bad spelling and all. I am not really a Honda guy,I usually get on here to look at welding and fabrication.Anyways I had a 95 Lexus sc300 stock that i just traded for a 94 EG coupe red with a turbo b18c.The problem is that it idles at 3000 rpm.It has a b18c and a log style turbo manifold with a Garret turbo and an external wastgate,Tial bov,550 RC injectors,AEM fuel pressure reg,GM 3bar map sensor,and some type of tuned ecu.Well when i got the car 3 days ago.I was going to get rid of the pillar pod and mount the gauges somewhere else.So i looked under the dash and the wiring was crazy.So i redid all wiring and cleaned it up some.And the next day i noticed that it had a oil leak from the drain tube off the turbo so i went to fix it and it looked like they had used jb weld to put the fitting into the oil pan so i redid that and welded the fitting into the pan.and when i was putting the downpipe back on i broke 2 bolts to it off in the turbo.So i pulled the turbo and drilled out the all the bolt hole and used heli-coils in all the downpipe bolt holes along with the wastgate bolt holes witch were stripped.So today i knew it had vacuum leaks so i fixed all the ones i could see and it didn't move the rpm at all.So i pulled the intake manifold off and got rid of the butterfly valves that are in the stock intake.And in the process of doing so i noticed that something was wrong with fast idle therm o valve.It was missing the end cap and just sucking straight air in it.So i made a cap cause i dont have the money to replace it and put it all back on the car and and started it up and i checked the vacuum for leaks and I got rid of all of them cause its pulling 25lbs of vac.But the rpm only dropped to 2500 by fixing all the leaks.Oh and i knew it had vacuum leaks because when i pulled the spark plugs they looked brand new from how lean it was running.Plus you could hear them.So know i am at a loss of what to do.Does any know what could be the problem?THANKS
Old 11-23-2010, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 94 EG Turbo GSR.Help!!

you could try spraining ound the intake manifold with some starting fluid and see if you notice any difference in idle.. could tell you if there are any possible leaks you havent found...
Old 11-24-2010, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Never really heard of doing this.I adjusted the fast idle therm o valve.is starts to idle but the check engine light comes on and it goes to 2500.I checked the engine code and it said it was the tps sensor.But usually the tps is riveted to the throttle body but mine has torx head screws to adjust it.Any idea what to set it at?I was told set it at 14 omhs but not sure.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 94 EG/Turbo GSR has a vacuum leak and idles at 2500 rpm

Well figured it out.It was the tps sensor it was way off i adjusted it to about dead center of the adjust range and it idle at 650 -750.But the only thing is it idles kinda rough.It doesn't idle smooth it idles like it misses every couple rpm.What you guys think?
Old 11-26-2010, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Wheels 2
Never really heard of doing this.I adjusted the fast idle therm o valve.is starts to idle but the check engine light comes on and it goes to 2500.I checked the engine code and it said it was the tps sensor.But usually the tps is riveted to the throttle body but mine has torx head screws to adjust it.Any idea what to set it at?I was told set it at 14 omhs but not sure.
Your TPS.. ? hmm .5 volts at idle and 4.5 volts at WOT for honda.. . wide open throttle.
you have a boosted hatch? what are you running for engine management?. Hondata? if so. it's easy.. pull up the display. open a new on for TPS. and turn your tps in any direction until u see the tps go to a green 0%. that's where you want it and then tighten it down..
Old 11-26-2010, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Wheels 2
Well figured it out.It was the tps sensor it was way off i adjusted it to about dead center of the adjust range and it idle at 650 -750.But the only thing is it idles kinda rough.It doesn't idle smooth it idles like it misses every couple rpm.What you guys think?
Your TPS has to be one of the most sensitive sensors on any car. if it off by .3 volts it's not going to run right.. so get a volt meter and put it where it's supposed to be and you'll feel a huge difference on how the car reacts..
Old 11-26-2010, 11:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a turbo b18c coupe.I guess its really called ej1 but i just put eg in the title.Not really sure what type of engine management but i had my buddy who has had a lot of Honda's with hondata and he took the ecu apart and said it was chipped.And it has 2step. so its tuned.