Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

94 del sol si - power loss, overheating, running poorly

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 del sol si - power loss, overheating, running poorly

I am having a major issue with my 1994 Honda del sol si. At the start of the summer I noticed that as I drove it from home and school during the weekend (2hour drive at 65-70mph) it would lose RPM kind of drastically, not so much that it would stall the car but close. I was told it was the distributor so I replaced that, the spark plug wires, and spark plugs. Then a week later my temp gauge spiked and as I was attempting to limp it to a service station the radiator blew up. Well I replaced my radiator and hoses but not my thermostat in the middle of nowhere in 100+ degree temp. Dumped in the coolant and away I went. Immediately I noticed that the car was a lot more jerky then usual and would not respond well moving forward initially, speeding up, or moving up hills. It reminded me of a lame Thomas the train engine. Please keep in mind that the temp gauge has stayed normal this whole time at the 12oclock position. I limped the thing home and let it sit for a week before I decided to tear into it.

Go out to kick her over and she won’t keep a fire. I sprayed some WD40 in the intake and got her to start up but it was hard to keep her moving without killing it. I pull the distributor again to check it and there is nothing wrong. Me being frantic fed up and frankly not paying any attention to the wires plugged it up 1-2-3-4 in a clockwise motion starting from the 6oclock position on the distributor.

A friend came over the next day and she started right up without hesitation but was still running rough. We noticed the order of the wires and were perplexed because it ran better in this 1-2-3-4 out of order rotation then it did when it was in its proper order. Wierd hua? Another friend came over and suggested the timing belt my need to be replaced (damaged and all) and/or the cam shaft is busted. (p.s. is he off his rocker?)

I removed the cover for to reach the cam but first comes the spark wires. I break three of them trying to get them off the plugs. 2 of the 4 plugs are fused to the wires and all spark plugs are blackened. Please keep this thing from becoming a modern piece of anger art.

Last edited by wendeln16; 08-10-2012 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Just thought of a new thing to add on that might help to diagnose.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: 94 del sol si - power loss, overheating, running poorly

Thread titles MUST summarize the tech problem so that members browsing titles can easily understand the problem without reading the post -- Title edited.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks RonJ@HT, I must have forgot my forum manners in my hastened furry to post the tech question.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What I dont get is, if you changed your dizzy and plugs and wires, why did they stick inside and break when u pulled them out? That usually happens to old, crust, original wires. Is your car smoking at all? And look up the spark order, dont just guess. you can do much more harm than good. A few minutes of google search will probably fix your issue.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was doing what my mechanic said was the problem at the time but yes I changed my distributor, the wires and the spark plugs. Everything was set to Honda factory recommendations and the distributor was put TDC.

I’m not sure why the wires stuck to the plugs and had to be broken in order to remove them. I’m assuming it was because of the intense heat that caused my radiator to explode.

The car does not appear to be smoking but again I can’t get it running long enough to run around back and check the consistency of the emissions. It had backfired once that i know of since the problems have occurred and the exhaust was next to null in the color and smell department.

I have also tried google.com and the Haynes manual along with various mechanics advice that is not my own, all without any luck. Try and believe that I am not guessing with this vehicle.