Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

94 Del Sol S - brakes don't work and transmission pops out of gear

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 06:40 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Del Sol S - brakes don't work and transmission pops out of gear

This is a lengthy post and I apologize in advance. I, being new to the forums, just didn't want to clutter it with two separate topics.

Hey guys, I have two problems and they have baffled me so I figured I'd come here. I have a 94' Del Sol S.

Problem 1 About a month ago after having to hit the brakes hard going down a hill doing about 55, I noticed my brakes weren't feeling like they should. A day or two later, I tried slamming on my brakes doing around 55 again and I nothing really happened. I noticed it wanted to slow down, but it wasn't really working. I made it to Auto Zone and checked my master cylinder and it was empty. I filled it up with brake fluid (didn't have time to bleed them properly, just had someone pump the brakes while I poured it in) and the problem seemed to be fixed, the brakes were working fine again. That lasted for about two days when the brakes kind of stopped working again. They weren't as bad as last time, but, they still weren't like they should. I check the fluid again but the cylinder was topped off still.. Any suggestions?
And, if it matters, I have some VGX Silent Silver brakes.

Problem 2The same day that the brakes started to go out a second time, my transmission and or clutch started messing up. Everything is fine when I'm in first gear, but, when I go to second, third, fourth and fifth and go over 2,000 RPMs, it slips out of gear and revs all the way up. At first I thought it was the clutch, and it very well could be, but there is still just as much tension in the clutch as when I bought the car two years ago, and, it has no problems finding the gears.
I poured in a bottle of Lucas Oil non-slip transmission fix and topped it off with oil as it directed.. There wasn't any immediate results and I left the car sitting for two weeks.
After two weeks, I decided to just take it down the road to see if my problems were just magically fixed. It never slipped out of gear, but my brakes were still as bad.
I don't want to just assume that my transmission and or clutch is fine now and to do that would be foolish.

Can anyone help with either of the problems? And help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: 94 Del Sol S - brakes don't work and transmission pops out of gear

Thread titles MUST be subject specific (descriptive) so that members browsing topics can easily understand the tech problem without reading the post -- title edited.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:12 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

As far as the brakes go you've probably got a leak somewhere, you'll have to check that on your own.

As for the popping out of gear, check the fluid level, if it's low it will usually pop out of fifth, leave it that way long enough and the gears will start welding themselves to the mainshaft.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:48 AM
Trial User

When I put the Lucas No-Slip in (or is it called transmission fix?) I topped it off.
And it didn't take much, so I figure there was plenty of fluid in there.

As for the brakes, I don't see any signs of leaking and since topping it off with fluid, the fluid level hasn't moved in a month.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:50 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by sheaaa
When I put the Lucas No-Slip in (or is it called transmission fix?) I topped it off.
And it didn't take much, so I figure there was plenty of fluid in there.
About that, you should probably drain that out before it damages something. If it's still got the original transmission fill it with cheap 10w30 engine oil, should be around 2L.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:57 AM
Trial User

When I said topped off I really meant with 10w30.. After the Lucas Oil.. I was expecting more, but it took a hair less than a quart. I used the Lucas Oil because it said "it works with manual transmissions". But, it probably just said that and doesn't help..
I'll try a complete drain and refill this weekend. Thanks.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

have you looked to see if your brakes/pads are just worn?
Old 05-05-2011, 08:28 AM
Trial User

Yes, I have. They're still in good condition.
I have a friend who's father is a mechanic, but he lives two counties over, and I think I may just take the car to him and tell him to find out.

I think my biggest problem is that the original owner completely stripped everything under the hood and just put in the things he thought to be essential. Seriously, the only thing under my hood is the engine, transmission, brake and clutch master cylinders and radiator. The battery and fuse box that's under the hood is behind my cd player. Everything else is just... gone. He did everything himself and I thought maybe a line came loose somewhere, but I followed every single line and they are fine.

The transmission is my only fear. With all the storms that came through here last Wednesday, I didn't have time to try to drain and refill the transmission with oil.
I did, on the other hand, drove it to the end of the road and the transmission was working normally again. But, it could mess up at anytime.