Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

94 Civic Coupe EX 5 SP - Clutch Switch, Unknown connectors - Cruise

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Civic Coupe EX 5 SP - Clutch Switch, Unknown connectors - Cruise

Hello,

Recently i started digging into why my cruise control wasn't working (bought the car used in January). First i googled, and did some searches that if the light comes on the cruise switch but buttons don't work check the clutch pedal switch.

Went to check the clutch pedal switches and voila the lower switch is disconnected and the top switch has the connector in it but is cut off. The only loose wires i could find under the column were attached to a connector.

Green/White and Green/brown it looks like.

I have attached some pictures. I also cannot find out where the cut off wires for the top switch are..

Old 04-15-2016, 08:26 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts
Default Re: 94 Civic Coupe EX 5 SP - Clutch Switch, Unknown connectors - Cruise

Looks like some custom wiring done, was the car an auto before?
Old 04-15-2016, 09:16 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

There is also a switch for CC on the brake, may be one switch with 4 leads. 94
Old 04-15-2016, 09:25 AM
Fish Twig

Its usually 1 switch with 4 wires, 1 goes to the CC module.

Looks like you're issue is the clutch switches, both need to be wired properly and adjusted as well. Junkyard will probably be your best bet to find another 2 switches.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
Looks like some custom wiring done, was the car an auto before?
I am not sure if it was or not, didnt think anything of it.

The brake pedal does have a 4 wire switch on it.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Its usually 1 switch with 4 wires, 1 goes to the CC module.

Looks like you're issue is the clutch switches, both need to be wired properly and adjusted as well. Junkyard will probably be your best bet to find another 2 switches.
I have two switches on the clutch pedal... I just cant find any connectors for the switches.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:33 AM
Fish Twig

The connectors are in your hand, you need the swtches.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Right, I have both of the switches lol. They were on the pedal assembly. The 3rd picture is the connector that was plugged into the top switch on the assembly, which was cut off and i cant find the ends anywhere. The bottom switch doesn't have anything in it, and the only connector i could find near it are the 1st and 2nd photos which doesn't fit into the switches input. The last photo, i don't know what the hell that's even too? How do i tell if my car came from the factory with a 5 speed?
Old 04-15-2016, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just looked up the vin decryption, it turns out my car was an auto before.... Awesome news.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So i will be going to the junk yard and getting all of the necessary parts, can anyone identify the last picture where the gray wire is looped? There is also a pink and black wire similar to the one for cruise control switch on the clutch.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:56 PM
Fish Twig

So you have both connectors and the switches...are you looking on how to wire the thing?

If so look up DIY auto to 5spd conversion. There are some connections you'll need to make in order to make the CC work.

That big rectangle plug is where all the wires are needed to go to.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

OP, check the link in my signature for a diagram that SHOULD approximate what you will find done to the wiring in your car, IF the previous owner followed any sort of FAQ/DIY. It will at least show you how it SHOULD have been done.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So you have both connectors and the switches...are you looking on how to wire the thing?

If so look up DIY auto to 5spd conversion. There are some connections you'll need to make in order to make the CC work.

That big rectangle plug is where all the wires are needed to go to.
Heres the conclusion on what has happened. Car was an Auto w/ Cruise before. Sometime before i bought it someone swapped in the manual and just looped the connector by the shifter to start with out the clutch in (I assume it thinks that the car is in park all the time).

The pedals came out of a manual car, they look identical to what i have seen on many diy's and the brake pedal is already the 4 wire due to having cruise control before.

The one connector that is on my harness intact is the one i have a picture of that is not cut off. I have no idea where that plug use to go before the swap, but the wires coming out of do not match the wiring that is shown to hook up the clutch switch for the cruise (pink/black). Then there is the whole other plug towards the fuse box, that also has a connector on it that is looped (and i have no idea what that goes too).
Old 04-16-2016, 10:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay, thats a very unorthodox wiring setup there...from what i can see, the looped connector is the starter signal wire looped into ignition power (auto harness pins 11 (BLK/RED) and 12 (BLK/WHT) in a proper diy). Athough I can't be too certain about all that, there should NOT be a Gray wire anywhere in the ignition/start/auto shifter circuit(s).

So they abandoned the clutch switch entirely, as they didnt bother setting up a clutch relay system, and also didnt bother creating a harness for the cruise control (which would NEED to be made).

Now, that grey 2-pin connector that has the two GRN/XXX wires going to it...it almost looks like they intended to use the cruise control switch to ground out the "Park" wire on a momentary contact, allowing the ecu to see "Park" and then allow a start...but then abandoned that idea because the car would start with or without clutch pedal movement.

Now, most of that is conjecture because I obviously cannot see the entire hackjob. It is totally a matter of want for you as to whether you pull all that apart, study the factory wiring diagrams very carefully, then restore the harness completely before even getting to the proper modifications to the harness for the system to work properly; OR get a new cabin harness and just start from there; OR leave it be if it starts fine and doesnt catch fire, forgoing cruise control altogether.

:mouthful:

In ANY case, your current wiring is a nonsensical disaster and will require much work to undo and correct.

Last edited by MisereNoire; 04-16-2016 at 11:01 PM.
Old 04-17-2016, 04:11 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

In slightly happier news, the GRN/WHT and GRN/RED connector is for the power locks and not related to your current problems. :/

Last edited by deschlong; 04-18-2016 at 09:18 AM.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by deschlong
In slightly happier news, the GRN/WHT and GRN/BLK connector is for the power locks and not related to your current problems. :/
Quite a trip that connector made then.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by MisereNoire
Quite a trip that connector made then.

Yes, it's the interior connector for the optional security system.
Old 04-18-2016, 02:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright,

This is what i have figured out. Ive gotten a Shifter side harness for the automatic so that i can run the proper wiring from the reverse lights, upper and lower clutch switches. All that is good and gravy, the one thing i dont know still is that white connector with the jumper gray wire haha.

Thanks for everyone's help, my first Honda here and it its been nightmare since then.

Deschlong, i have power locks it being an EX and they currently work so what is the use of that connector then?
Old 04-18-2016, 09:49 AM

So there actually is a connector that is supposed to look like the one with the grey wire that is looped. It's C445, but is supposed to have a BLK/RED wire looping, not grey. Also, I don't recall there being a pink wire in there, nor a wire with that funny bullet connector next to it. Anyway, I'd worry about that later, since I'm not convinced it's an issue currently.

OP, you should to add a proper clutch relay circuit. Here is the DIY on it. It's simpler than it might look: just trace all the wiring for the clutch relay back to where the wires begin to disassemble from a donor car, then add it to yours.

Obviously, PNK for the cruise should be run to the PNK of the old automatic shifter connector.

As for GRN/WHT & GRN/RED, don't worry about it either. It's a connector for the OEM optional security system to run the power locks. Since you don't have that, just tape that connector back away and forget about it.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:31 AM
Fish Twig

That grey wire is custom, just 2 blades on there. Looks like they used it to jump the 2 black wires so they can start the car.

The pink wire, I believe, is the cruise control wire. That needs to be wired up to the....bottom clutch switch?
Old 04-18-2016, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by deschlong
So there actually is a connector that is supposed to look like the one with the grey wire that is looped. It's C445, but is supposed to have a BLK/RED wire looping, not grey. Also, I don't recall there being a pink wire in there, nor a wire with that funny bullet connector next to it. Anyway, I'd worry about that later, since I'm not convinced it's an issue currently.

OP, you should to add a proper clutch relay circuit. Here is the DIY on it. It's simpler than it might look: just trace all the wiring for the clutch relay back to where the wires begin to disassemble from a donor car, then add it to yours.

Obviously, PNK for the cruise should be run to the PNK of the old automatic shifter connector.

As for GRN/WHT & GRN/RED, don't worry about it either. It's a connector for the OEM optional security system to run the power locks. Since you don't have that, just tape that connector back away and forget about it.
You say worry about the large off white connector later, but id rather tackle that as well haha. I have looked at the diagram which you posted earlier, and by the way extremely informational. Im not a rookie at electrical work when it comes to adding relays and that nature so it shouldn't be to bad.

I went to a junk yard and found a 97 EX that was an auto and also a 98 EX that was a manual. So i now have the 97 auto shifter side harness, which by the way plugs right into the 92-95 Dash harness . I also grabbed the lower clutch switch which has the pink and black wires connector with it, and i already have the upper switch that had the connector plugged into the switch when i bought the car. I have plenty of relays, so all i need to get is some automotive grade 18 AWG wire and i should be ready to rock and roll.

As far as the one connector that i found unplugged with the green wires, i have power locks, and they work so what exactly did that connector do lol?
Old 04-18-2016, 02:01 PM

I stated twice already what the green wire connector is for.
Old 04-18-2016, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, i built that diagram after having to build everything related to the clutch relay/cruise control circuit needed from bare materials...the local car yard had just recently crushed every pre-2005 civic (wtf?).
And yeah, the shifter side harness makes life SO much easier in terms of wiring.

Clutch relay circuit

Cruise control circuit

You'll notice that i didnt have the proper connectors for the two switches, and used insulated weatherpak female contacts...I had to buy the correct pigtails at a later date, seeing as there were no viable donors at that time.