Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

93 GSR brake conversion problem....************

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 GSR brake conversion problem....************

i have a question a shop is doing my conversion it has been ther over a week now ...first they ran into some problems with my brake lines being clogged then they forgot to put my dust shield in..so i go to pick it up on saturday and what happens as i am driving down the highway my car slowly starts to slow down so i downshift...trying to gain speed ..but its seem like my car was dying so then i get off the next exit and get to a light at that ligh i notice my front brakes smoking...then when the light turns green i give it gas car wont move i am like what...thought the clutch was gone or something but then i feel the brake it was extremely hard..so then i finallly got it moving enough to make it thru the intersection and seems like all 4 brakes locked up..

i had them install front and rear gsr conversion with the gsr brake booster,master cyclinder,gsr prop valve as well and they cant figure out what is wrong but i took it back to the shop they thought they fixed it...go in...i have to take of work for 2 hours by the way...thank god my job is so nice to me...and then i get there they tell me to drive it around it is fixed now and problem occurs again...after about five mins i drove it back to the shop about like 2 shops down it wouldnt move at all...

now all i know is that one of the lines in the back passneger side was leaking fluid but i dont know if that would cause the whole car to look up...if any one knows please help...they also have changed the distributor block....
Old 02-28-2005, 11:03 AM

any one?
Old 02-28-2005, 04:21 PM

anyone?
Old 03-01-2005, 06:30 AM

any one else?
Old 03-01-2005, 06:39 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: 93 GSR brake conversion problem....************ (Jdm93civic)

This is why you don't install 900 components all at once - because it's difficult to pinpoint a problem if one arises.

Could be sticky old calipers, could be a problem with the MC, could be a brake rod adjustment problem. Have the calipers been rebuilt, or did you just pull them off a shitty old Integra in the junkyard?

Also, if the lines are leaking, address it immediately. You could be sucking air and moisture into the system that way.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:37 AM

well something was dripping on the rear brake passenger side brake....the rear conversion i had the front conversion the shop got for me from a junkyard
Old 03-01-2005, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Re: (Jdm93civic)

it's most likely a booster problem... although it's odd that it builds up... It could be just the calipers... IE they're sticking..

Here's my suggestion... Drop it off at the shop... tell them you want it fixed and test driven for a minimum of 30 mins.

You should not have to keep returning to them because they didn't test drive the car... that's rediculous...

It sounds to me like you brought it to a crappy shop... If you are getting the same problem you complained about originally it's obvious they're not test driving it for long enough...

Considering they did ALL 4 of your brakes the master and the booster... they're lucky that it wasn't the other way around... IE NO brakes instead of too much brake.

If you didn't do the work there's NO point in asking on here... they're not going to take advise you got on the internet... and you can't work on the problem since it's THEIR problem.

I'm sure it's a problem with some of the junkyard parts they got...

FYI to anyone who is reading this post and thinking of having a shop do a major job like this...

DO NOT GET JUNK PARTS... there is NO warranty on junkyard parts other than straight returns (if they even allow that)...

Rebuild calipers can be had EASILY for 100 bucks per pair... same goes for the master cylinder. The booster and prop valve are really the only things i see any value in sorcing to a junkyard...

The booster will most likely work... but if it doesn't it's clear and you can return it.

The prop valve isn't available from the aftermarket and honda prices probobly aren't too cheap... and there's not much to go wrong on a valve.

I wouldn't bother with the other stuff because...

A. Junkyard brake lines SHOULD NEVER BE USED... once they sit for a certain amount of time it's just a matter of when they'll burst on you or start leaking... they're cheap and you'd be better off going straight to SS brake lines.

B. Junkyard Calipers... Are OK but unless you plan on rebuilding them there's again... NO guarantie.

C. Junkyard Master Cylinder... again... unless you plan on rebuilding it then it's pointless to spend say 20-50 on something you may have to spend another 10-100 to get working right.

D. Rotors... God I hope that doesn't even need to be explained... unless you know the milage of the car they're coming off of that's just not a safe gamble... especially when brembo's come new for next to nothing.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:35 PM

i mean by this point i dont know what to do.the shop was like they have no clue what it is thats causing them to seize up like that..ui was told by another ht memeber that if i have the gsr brake booster i need to have the gsr master cyhclinder but then the line needs to be bent but the shop never told me that the line needed to be bent...i will have to check it out
Old 03-08-2005, 04:33 AM

does anyone know what else it could be?
Old 03-08-2005, 05:06 AM

Default Re: (Jdm93civic)

it could have a kink brake line, stuck caliper. they need to a pressure test on the brake system to see if the sytem have proper pressure all around.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (2lua)

i told you already check what brake booster and master cylinder they used. if they mixed abs and non-abs boosters and mc your brakes lock up. it happened to me when i did the conversion.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (93civicsedan)

93civicsedan's suggestion might be it. If the shop used non abs and abs parts it will lock up. You might want to have them check the ebrake cable as well. If they used bad ebrake cables it will lock your brakes as well even, eventhough you have your ebrake released. ( I had that problem before)

Good luck man.