Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

93 ex with a 00 civic engine i think, idleing problems, please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 04:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 ex with a 00 civic engine i think, idleing problems, please help

well first of all I am new to this site. I have had an 06 rsx types an 04 rsx-s and an 06 evo mr that I no longer have. Well on to my question here. It is a 93 civic ex sedan. About two months ago it got hydrolocked, and we put a supposedly 00 engine in it. I am not sure how to tell honda engines apart, sorry for the lack of knowledge here. well so we put it in, and now when you warm it up it idles fine, then after driving it it will idle up an down, I dont know the exact rpms due to that it does not have a tach. It has a muffler on it so it gets annoying when it I guess surges. But it revs down then right back up and then down and keeps doing this. Now when we put it in there was some wires with the old engines wireing harness that we could not plug in, like three or 4. One is, on the left of the valve cover there is a plug coming out the side, the sensor that I think would plug into that from the old engines harness wont go in. One is a circle type plug, and the other is like a square. Also in the back of the engine bay, there are a couple things unpluged that looks as if there are no home for. we used the block with the head, and intake manifold from the newer engine. Everything else we used from the old engine. Other than the whole idle surge it runs good. But I tried the whole fivt thing inside the throttle body test and it didnt shut off when I put my finger there so that isn't it right. What about the iac. Is there anyone that makes a harness for this swap, that I can get that is made specifically for this? I just need alot of help here, cause I know this can be a reliable car once the thing idles good. thanks alot
Old 07-18-2007, 04:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 93 ex with a 00 civic engine i think, idleing problems, please help (rosscaboss)

I didn't read everything but it sounds like you need to take your IACV (on the back of the intake manifold) off and clean it out. Also, look at the engine block, between the exhaust manifold and transmission bell housing. The is engine code the will say either d16y8 or d16y7 if it's a '00 engine.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:51 AM

Default Re: 93 ex with a 00 civic engine i think, idleing problems, please help (rosscaboss)

thanks, well I looked yesterday and It said d16 something so, that should be iwhat you are talking about for the engine. where exactly is this thing located for me to clean, and how do you recommend me actually cleaning it? Anyone else please help cause this is bugging me, and also any info on the sensors that have no apparent home for, info on this would be extremely nice thanks
Old 07-18-2007, 11:25 AM

I still need help with this guys and gals, thanks to all that have responded or read, also is there a wiring or diagram that shows where to put the plugs, hoses and sensors for this type of swap, thanks again
Old 07-19-2007, 06:52 AM

bump to the top, I still need help on this. is there anyone that has done this that can tell me where to put the sensors and what vacum hoses need to be pluged in and where, and It is still surging at idle please help
Old 07-19-2007, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

2 coolant lines should run to the iac, 1 to the heater, 1 to the radiator, 1 from the radiator to the block...thats all i can think of off the top of my head at work. as for vacuum, there should be a diagram on your hood
Old 07-19-2007, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 93 ex with a 00 civic engine i think, idleing problems, please help (speedooo)

you should use the whole intake manifold from the 93 on the 00 and your problems will be solved
Old 07-19-2007, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rosscaboss &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks, well I looked yesterday and It said d16 something so, that should be iwhat you are talking about for the engine. where exactly is this thing located for me to clean, and how do you recommend me actually cleaning it? Anyone else please help cause this is bugging me, and also any info on the sensors that have no apparent home for, info on this would be extremely nice thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

The last 2 digits are what will definitely tell you if it's a 00 motor. 92-95 civic came with a d16 also but it was a d16z6.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:37 AM

thank you for your responses. But one question, and I am only asking this because I honestly don't know. How is the 93 intake mani, different from the 00 intake mani? I also have a question now about a particular sensor. If you are looking at the engine bay from the front. in the rear drivers side by the firewall there is an unplugged sensor. The only way I can describe this is, it is a yellow sensor I guess. The end is almost like a needle, it gets a little more narrow towards the end. The other end of this sensor where the wires connect to it have like an oval or something like a () base. There are two holes in the base one at either end. The other sensor q is on the left side of the valve cover there is a sensor that is not plugged in. I think this is the vtec solenoid sensor? There is a sensor end there from the previous engine that was in it. But the only thing is that they will not go into each other. One is like a circle, and one is like a square plug! Is this what they mean about when they say that for this swap you need to do vtec wiring? Also this is just a future question here, since I would rather get the car running reliable first. Performance, now I have had an 06 evo mr, and two rsx-s and currently have a 07 suzuki gsxr 1000, so there is no comparision to them but, what do yous recommend for some more pep. It just seems as if this car falls straight on its face, going up hills and in low rpms. It has exhaust on it, what kind I do not know. It also has an aem intake (cai) that was on the original d16z6 engine. Just to restate it now had a d16y8 engine. I am willing to take pictures and put them on here to show you where the stuff is plugged in. But mainly I know I could do it if there was like a diagram showing what goes where, or something along those lines. But thank you very much, and if you could explain why the 93 intake mani would solve my problems this would be great. Thanks
Old 07-20-2007, 09:27 AM

well I was just talking to the previous owner, and he said with the 93 intake mani on the d16y8 that it would smoke alot? Does any one know if this would cause this, or do you think he doesn't know what he is talking about?
Old 07-20-2007, 12:18 PM

anyone
Old 07-20-2007, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

he doesn't know what he's talking about, the intake has nothing to do with any car smoking, also all d series intakes are interchangeable. the z6 one on the y8 will solve your probems because you can plug up all of your original stuff with the z6 harnes. if you have stuff on the new motor that the z6 harness doesn't plug onto such as the one coming up from the crank don't worry about those that is just stuff for obd2 but anyway go ahead and put on that z6 intake
Old 07-22-2007, 11:05 AM

Default Re: 93 ex with a 00 civic engine i think, idleing problems, please help (USDMCIVICHATCH)

well I took some pics of the sensors that I was wondering about. First one is the yellow thing I was talking about. Second I am wondering if that black plastic cap is supposed to be like that. third is the one on the left of the engine, I think this is the vtec one not sure, 4th is the clip that I think would clip into pic #3 put they are to different shapes. The last one is a pic of the aem cai and there are to openiong in the actual pipe that dont have anything into them?

Old 07-23-2007, 12:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Civic that year came with a lot of idleing problems it can be anywhere from just adjusting the idle to replacing the tps sensor
Old 07-23-2007, 04:01 AM

Default Re: 93 ex with a 00 civic engine i think, idleing problems, please help (jers99)

anyone else with suggestions or ideas? I am still curious about this whole putting a 93 intake back on, cause I don't really want to shell out the money then it not work. Also I wouldlike as much info on these sensors and plugs. This would be very helpfull, thanks
Old 07-23-2007, 07:18 AM

k I was just talking to some people about the whole putting a 93 intake mani on my d16y8 and they said when they did that that it made it smoke. Something about there was a different or another port in the mani. and it was causing water to mix with the oil, thus making it smoke. I really need to know the answer to this is anyone knows for sure, there has to be someone out here that has done this swap before!!!
Old 07-23-2007, 12:24 PM

anyone
Old 07-23-2007, 07:31 PM

come on people lol
Old 07-24-2007, 07:30 PM

over 24 hours and no response? My yellow plug iat snesor is obviously unpluged, can I extend that and put it in the intake tube? the cai tube I mean, and how would I go about doing that?
Old 08-20-2007, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

u can use the 93 manifold... been there done that. whoever says it'll smoke is a moron