Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

'93 Engine runs, oil/batt lights remain after turning off and removing key

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 02:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: '93 Engine runs, oil/batt lights remain after turning off and removing key

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
Hmmm...are you sure about both^ test results? They seem at odds with one another. I can't understand how fuse 42 (brake lights) could power the main relay/fuel pump if fuse 24 (main relay/fuel pump) could not conversely power the brake lights.
Those are the results. The only thing I can think of is that #24 covers a lot of systems, so the main relay doesn't use too many amps. If the short is ahead of #15, then pulling that fuse would stop power from getting there, agreeing with the test results. If the short were before it, pulling the fuse would kill the dash lights but still illuminate the brakes.

Since the short is after the fuse, could the #24 fuse could be energizing through the #15, but not drawing enough power to pop the 10A fuse? And when the fuse is pulled, it cuts the current leaking, for lack of a better term, into the IG1 circuit? I'll check later if the moonroof and wipers work with the key off as is, and with the key off and #15 pulled.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: '93 Engine runs, oil/batt lights remain after turning off and removing key

So, with the brake switch unplugged and fuse #42 pulled, the brake lights stay off upon connecting the battery.

Turning the key to ON(II) illuminates the brake lights.

Pulling fuse #15, the brake lights turn off. Pulling fuse #24 does nothing. Pulling both turns the lights off.

Curiously, with the key off, #42 in, and #15 out, the charge light goes out and the oil light stays on. Replacing the #15 fuse causes the fuel pump to prime.

Could the horn system be involved in this? I have an aftermarket steering wheel (came installed with the car) and the horn hasn't worked since I've bought it. I never investigated. Problems persist with the horn relay unplugged, but it's also connected to #42 20A.

Finally got the cruise control unit and supporting bracket out this morning. I can't see any clear signs of damage due to abrasion. I'll have to cut the harness cover open to inspect all the wires individually, it's just hard to motivate myself to do it in 10F with a -10F windchill. Any further thoughts?
Old 02-26-2014, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 45 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Vasi
Those are the results.
I'm wondering whether fuse 24 is blown or its downstream wire has an open.

Click the Test Fuses link in my signature.

Test 1: With all fuses installed, voltage test installed fuse 24 and 15 with the key either in OFF or in ON(II).

Test 2: Repeat Test 1 with only fuse 42 removed.

Post voltage readings for both test tabs of each fuse and in each key position.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Batt voltage: 12.1
Fuse #42: 12.0/12.0

_________With #42 in________________With #42 pulled____

-------Key off------------Key on------------Key off------------Key on
Fuse #15: 9.9/9.9-----11.8/11.8----------0.0/0.0-----------11.8/11.8
Fuse #24: 9.9/9.9-----11.8/11.8----------0.0/0.0-----------11.8/11.8

Apologies for the brutal use of dashes in the chart. HT kept formatting out my use of the space key for spacing things.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Batt voltage: 12.1
Fuse #42: 12.0/12.0

_________With #42 in________________With #42 pulled____

-------Key off------------Key on------------Key off------------Key on
Fuse #15: 9.9/9.9-----11.8/11.8----------0.0/0.0-----------11.8/11.8
Fuse #24: 9.9/9.9-----11.8/11.8----------0.0/0.0-----------11.8/11.8

Apologies for the brutal use of dashes in the chart. HT kept formatting out my use of the space key for spacing things.
Nice data.

With fuse 42 pulled, if you then also remove fuse 15, do the voltage readings at fuse 24 drop to ~0V with the key in ON(II)?
Old 02-27-2014, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

And just so I understand this so far, there's a short before the brake switch, which is letting power out of the #42 fuse circuit.

There's a short after the brake switch, which is letting current pass through the rear lights.

Both shorts appear to cross into the IG1 (blk/yel) circuits after the #15 fuse, but before any switches, as evidenced by the dash lights and main relay powering up, and the charge light (which is through #24?) going off upon removal of #15 with #42 in place.

So power could come from the horns circuit, or brake circuit before the switch, then bleed back in anywhere from the cruise control harness, ECU harness, or rear harness.

And because the #42 is feeding the IG1 circuit, and the IG1 circuit is feeding the brake lights, can we assume that the wires melted together at a single spot, possibly where everything would overlap in a harness?

Is that all correct so far?
Old 02-27-2014, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice data.

With fuse 42 pulled, if you then also remove fuse 15, do the voltage readings at fuse 24 drop to ~0V with the key in ON(II)?
I'll investigate on my next break.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

With fuse 42 and 15 pulled, and key in ON(II), #24 reads 12.1/12.1.

Replacing #15 reads 11.6/11.6 on both #15 and #24
Old 02-27-2014, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

And just so I understand this so far, there's a short before the brake switch, which is letting power out of the #42 fuse circuit.
There's a short after the brake switch, which is letting current pass through the rear lights.
I agree, and would also add that the Wht/Grn wire breaks before and after the brake switch are connected/fused, thereby allowing voltage to bypass the brake switch to reach the brake lights.

Both shorts appear to cross into the IG1 (blk/yel) circuits after the #15 fuse
[edited] I agree.

...but before any switches, as evidenced by the dash lights and main relay powering up, and the charge light (which is through #24?) going off upon removal of #15 with #42 in place. So power could come from the horns circuit, or brake circuit before the switch, then bleed back in anywhere from the cruise control harness, ECU harness, or rear harness.
What switches are you talking about?

And because the #42 is feeding the IG1 circuit, and the IG1 circuit is feeding the brake lights, can we assume that the wires melted together at a single spot, possibly where everything would overlap in a harness?
This would clearly be the simplest explanation.

The diagram below shows how I currently interpret your test results. Xs are wire breaks, and red lines are abnormal shorts between wires.

If my diagram is correct, it suggests that one problem is possibly a bad dash fuse box.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Former User; 02-27-2014 at 10:54 AM.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree, but I think the Wht/Grn wire shorts into the IG1 Blk/Yel wire circuit before fuse 15.
Why would that be the case? If the brake lights don't illuminate with #42 and #15 pulled, but with #24 in place and key in ON(II), there would be power through #24 and into the fuse box, but not the #42 circuit. With #42 in place and #15 pulled, the oil light, etc. illuminate, but the charge light goes out. This would indicate that pulling fuse #15 stops power from energizing the #24 fuse. If the short were before #15, wouldn't pulling the fuse kill the oil light and cause the charge light to remain, as is the case with removing #42 and turning the key to ON(II)?

What switches are you talking about?
Hypothetical switches? If the short were in the GRN/BLK wire after the back-up light switch, then the issue would only be with the gear selector in reverse. Since it's full-time it should be between the back-up light switch, and any other switches off that fuse, and the fuse.

The diagram below shows how I currently interpret your test results. Xs are wire breaks, and red lines are abnormal shorts between wires.

If my diagram is correct, it suggests that one problem is a bad dash fuse box.
I like the diagram, but if the charge light goes off upon removal of #15, then wouldn't that indicate that power is no longer going from #15 circuit to #24?

I've been told before I can come across as rude, so I want to apologize in advance if I come across that way. It's not my intent. I really appreciate your time and experience in helping me out with this.

This is just how I'm interpretting the results, and I'd like to be corrected thoroughly if I'm wrong so I can learn.

Last edited by Vasi; 02-27-2014 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Read more carefully
Old 02-27-2014, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Why would that be the case?
I was editing my post as your were responding. Does my new diagram now align with your thinking and test results? Or is there still an inconsistency?

Hypothetical switches? If the short were in the GRN/BLK wire after the back-up light switch, then the issue would only be with the gear selector in reverse. Since it's full-time it should be between the back-up light switch, and any other switches off that fuse, and the fuse.
You can test your before versus after switch ideas by unplugging switches.

I've been told before I can come across as rude, so I want to apologize in advance if I come across that way. It's not my intent. I really appreciate your time and experience in helping me out with this.
No offense whatsoever taken.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was editing my post as your were responding. Does my new diagram now align with your thinking and test results? Or is there still an inconsistency?
I'm just not sure what evidence there is for a short in the #24 circuit, based on the results of pulling the #15 fuse with #42 still attached.

You can test your before versus after switch ideas by unplugging switches.
Trial and error FTW. I don't see anything in the diagrams that would be on all the time that disconnecting would fix. If it has access to a ground, wouldn't it ground instead of going back up #15 and discharging through #24?

No offense whatsoever taken.