Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

93 civic mini-me swap need some help w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 04:23 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 93 civic mini-me swap need some help w/pics

ok so first off im new to the forums here at HT and I'm new to Hondas but I've been reading them for a while but just registered. I traded my 91 Nissan 240sx for a 93 civic coupe with a mini-me build that doesn't run from a friend of a friend, I've been trying to get it running for about a month now it has d15b8 block with a d16y8 head.
Some background on my problem and what I've did so far, I try to start it and it cranks over but it doesn't fire I did A LOT of research and read up on just about everything I could I tried to look at the CEL codes but all i got was a solid CEL no blinks or anything I even tried resetting the CEL just encase and still the same so I started the trouble shooting. I listened for the fuel pump to prime and nothing so I looked at the main relay and it smelled burnt so I went and bought a new main relay installed it and still the same CEL still soild and no fuel pump priming. I already had a new fuel pump so I went ahead and installed it, I also unhooked and cleaned, sanded both grounds and tighten them back down (the one under the driver side seat and the one going to the thermostat housing) turned the key and light still stayed on, so now im it the point of checking the TPS and MAP and Im ordering another p28 ecu tomorrow cause Im thinking thats what the problem is. id there anything else I should check?

also I have a bunch of noob questions:

Where should this hook up to?

should something be hooked up to this?

what does this plug hook up to?

Is this the right plug in?

should this wire go to a plug or something that goes to the silver nipple looking thing under the head beside the radiator hose?

also what does this plug go to?

I have no clue what this plug goes to either it looks like the wire is broke off the other end. Is that where the wire for exhaust manifold goes to?

Sorry for all the questions in advanced also if anyone has any other ideas other than what I have stated about the car not starting feel free to post and Ill keep everyone updated.

Last edited by Coak13y; 09-18-2012 at 05:14 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 93 civic mini-me swap need some help w/pics

For pic 1 there should be a plug on the end to plug into your bay harness four prong plug I believe, pic 2 from valve cover to intake box, pics 3/4 are for your map and iacv make sure they are on the right sensor or it will not idle right, pic 5 there should be a female plug for the little silver nipple, may also be for a sensor under the itm, What ecu and harness are currently being used?

Last edited by 97civkid; 09-18-2012 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Pic four looks more like the o2 plug now that I think of it
Old 09-18-2012, 05:06 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by 97civkid
For pic 1 there should be a plug on the end to plug into your bay harness four prong plug I believe, pic 2 from valve cover to intake box, pics 3/4 are for your map and iacv make sure they are on the right sensor or it will not idle right, pic 5 there should be a female plug for the little silver nipple, may also be for a sensor under the itm, What ecu and harness are currently being used?
thanks!
im using a p28 now and the harness is the original harnesses.
I already pinned the vtec to the ecu. just encase anyone was wondering.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I Wouldnt bother ordering a new ecu an till you have everything plugged in, most likely why it won't start, I was in semi same situation a few weeks back but was using the wrong harness and still wouldnt start till everything is plugged in And in the correct spot
Old 09-18-2012, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check and recheck all fuses
Old 09-18-2012, 05:44 PM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Pic 1
02 sensor - that's a one wire you'll need to convert to a 4 wire for the P28 ecu

Pic 2
Hooks into a port on your intake arm

Pic 3
Looks like it could be for your map sensor on top of the throttle body, you have another plug there now what are the wire colors on it? The TPS and the map are the same style plug

Pic 4
Not sure how many wires are in that and what are the colors?

Pic 5
Gauge cluster temp wire needs another plug to plug in

Pic 6
Looks like you have an auto manifold so that is for your IACV, you need to get a Y8 manual manifold with an IACV

Pic 7 & 8
Post how many wires it as and what colors, looks like reverse switch maybe if it's two wires. If its one wire it's for the the sensor in the first pic
Old 09-18-2012, 06:13 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by HondaPartsHero
Pic 1
02 sensor - that's a one wire you'll need to convert to a 4 wire for the P28 ecu

Pic 2
Hooks into a port on your intake arm

Pic 3
Looks like it could be for your map sensor on top of the throttle body, you have another plug there now what are the wire colors on it? The TPS and the map are the same style plug

Pic 4
Not sure how many wires are in that and what are the colors?

Pic 5
Gauge cluster temp wire needs another plug to plug in

Pic 6
Looks like you have an auto manifold so that is for your IACV, you need to get a Y8 manual manifold with an IACV

Pic 7 & 8
Post how many wires it as and what colors, looks like reverse switch maybe if it's two wires. If its one wire it's for the the sensor in the first pic
the connecter that's plug in on top of the TB has 3 wires coming from it and there yellow/red, red/green, and white

the two plugs that look the same, one plug has 3 wires coming out, green/white, yellow/white, and red/blue(TPS sensor). the other has 3 wires and they are yellow/green, green/blue, and pink/white

for pics 6 and 7 it only has one wire and its white

Last edited by Coak13y; 09-19-2012 at 08:24 AM.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:13 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by 97civkid
Check and recheck all fuses
already did at least a dozen times
Old 09-18-2012, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For the o2 and iacv check local junk yards
Old 09-18-2012, 06:54 PM
Trial User

also should the battery be grounded like this? or does it matter?
Old 09-18-2012, 11:19 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It should be grounded, but hell no it shouldn't be grounded like that. Exposed wires are a big no-no.

It looks like you have a HUGE clusterfuck of wiring to deal with, good luck.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:28 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Yeah for the battery wires If your serious about your project I'd go to either the junkyard or Honda and get the factory wires for it that are the correct gauge. As for the IACV you have two options either find an intake manifold from the junkyard that has a two wire IACV (preferred 92-95 D16Z6 auto or manual, 96-98 D16Y8 manual only). Or you can drill and tap your manifold for a two wire if you're up to it (http://www.d-series.org/forums/diy-f...-manifold.html). Another issue I'm not seeing is that the Y8 intake manifold doesn't have a place for the intake air temp sensor, did the previous owner place that in the intake arm somewhere because I dont see it. As for the other wiring here is an ok link for engine harness wiring colors to help out some: http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=12066.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:47 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm sorry, I've been looking at pictures and completely ignoring the text. Solid CEL that isn't blinking, clusterfuck of wires, previous owner may have shorted something and fried the ECU. I would do a full check of your entire wiring harness before installing that P28.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:46 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by HondaPartsHero
Yeah for the battery wires If your serious about your project I'd go to either the junkyard or Honda and get the factory wires for it that are the correct gauge. As for the IACV you have two options either find an intake manifold from the junkyard that has a two wire IACV (preferred 92-95 D16Z6 auto or manual, 96-98 D16Y8 manual only). Or you can drill and tap your manifold for a two wire if you're up to it (http://www.d-series.org/forums/diy-f...-manifold.html). Another issue I'm not seeing is that the Y8 intake manifold doesn't have a place for the intake air temp sensor, did the previous owner place that in the intake arm somewhere because I dont see it. As for the other wiring here is an ok link for engine harness wiring colors to help out some: http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=12066.
im going to the junk yard today to pick all the right stuff up, and I plan on drilling and taping the IM I have now. as for the intake arm there is no air temp sensor the previous owner used turbo piping and left it at that. ill diffidently be changing the wiring around I'm pretty serious about getting the car up and running and fixing her up lol
Old 09-19-2012, 07:48 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
I'm sorry, I've been looking at pictures and completely ignoring the text. Solid CEL that isn't blinking, clusterfuck of wires, previous owner may have shorted something and fried the ECU. I would do a full check of your entire wiring harness before installing that P28.
I checked the whole harness and I found 2 bare wires that I taped up.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:49 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
It should be grounded, but hell no it shouldn't be grounded like that. Exposed wires are a big no-no.

It looks like you have a HUGE clusterfuck of wiring to deal with, good luck.
Lol It is but thanks man!