Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

93 Civic DX Auto - No Start, No Crank

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 11:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 Civic DX Auto - No Start, No Crank

Completely stock 93 civic dx rocking the d15b7 and it's an auto

Ran to the store with the wife… came back… realized we had to go out again and car wouldn't start.

What I noticed… while trying to turn the car on… repetitive clicking from underneath the dash (the main relay as it turns out). Another thing I noticed is that the fuel pump has an unusual sound when it primes as I turn the key 2 clicks before attempting to start, kind of hard to describe ……*a bit more "whiny" I guess…*but it's not the norm.

So I jumped the pin on the passenger side to try and pull a CEL code and I just get a steady on no flash from the CEL.

So I've been following this thread: How To Pull CEL, D4, SRS, and ABS Codes (with Code Lists)

Here are things I've done & checked:
1. Battery is fine and connection is solid
2. taken main relay to AutoZone for continuity test and it's fine
3. checked ALL fuses under dash, all are fine
4. checked ALL fuses under hood, all appear fine except for one that I'm unsure of as seen in the image below (google image, not actual image of mine) - I also doubt that the fuse in question has any bearing on the motor starting tho

— Referring to the greenish fuse box; I've never seen one of those go bad… not entirely sure how that looks?

I'm not entirely sure if the starter might be to blame, I haven't got a few of my tools to pull out the spark plugs and check those, not sure if the ECU is really the issue as the "CEL code 0" would suggest.

I'm not retarded but I'm also not the best mechanic… I know only so much…

Just looking for some folks to brainstorm with me here, help me figure this one out.

Thanks all!
Old 03-31-2013, 11:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 93 Civic DX Auto - No Start, No Crank

Cel code 0 can be a bad ground, check G101 on your thermostat housing, clean it/sand the connection.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Geez, forgot to mention that…… I took that ground off… inspected it and all seemed well and secured it tightly again and same

EDIT: I'll admit that I didn't sand it tho
Old 04-01-2013, 02:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

check the grommet where your clutch switch gets engaged when you depress the clutch.http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/u...cture_5078.jpg post a video! plz
Old 04-01-2013, 04:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

in the post title it says his car is an auto. So I don't think he'll be finding one of those hiding under the dash.
How sloppy is your shifter? can you easily determine each gear you select? also try putting the car in neutral (N) "most cars start in P or N)" apply your E brake and hold the actual brake as well.
What's the mileage on your car, if the gear position switch is worn it won't see that you're in P all of the time.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by d15bvtechatch
check the grommet where your clutch switch gets engaged when you depress the clutch.
it's an autotragic…

Originally Posted by Mainsubject
How sloppy is your shifter? can you easily determine each gear you select? also try putting the car in neutral (N) "most cars start in P or N)" apply your E brake and hold the actual brake as well.
What's the mileage on your car, if the gear position switch is worn it won't see that you're in P all of the time.
What exactly do you mean by "sloppy"? Physically, it goes into P, R, N, D4, D3, 2, 1 with no problems at all…*I can easily tell by looking down which position it is in and can feel that it is in each position correctly. The lights on the gauge cluster however rarely lights up indicating which position it is in…*but the car is also throwing a CEL 17 (VSS - which makes sense the speedo works sometimes and not other times… I assume they might be related)

I just went out and tried to manually crank the engine and it spins just fine so it's not locked up or anything.

I'm starting to lean towards the starter but I'm coming up short on how to test this via internet searches… plus I'm limited on my tools ATM
Old 04-01-2013, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Also, headlights turn on while car is off, nice and bright…

left headlights on…*attempt to turn on car…*headlights go out and then when giving on on it not cranking and letting key go from 3 to 2, headlights back on

EDIT: also I believe I hear 1 click from the starter…*but hard to tell as I'm stuck @ home alone… but I'm pretty sure I hear 1 click…*hopefully this helps with diagnoses
Old 04-01-2013, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok problem solved

Dead battery. My father in law came over with a battery test, read 12.6v... Put a test load and it was bad... Something to check for, the water level in battery... One was just empty, dead cell.

Why did I skip battery? Because 1hr 30mins prior to it not starting, it was working fine and no symptoms.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im not sure on your engine but on most cars there is two pins on your starter. Use a screwdriver or testlight probe and make contact with them both. (Make sure your not touching steel part of screwdriver) leave ignition on when you do this and see if the car fires up

Edit: sorry didnt see problem solved