Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

93 b16 swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 01:04 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 b16 swap

i have a 93 civic lx 4door. im looking to get a b16 swap. i called the BAR for qualifications on smog. they told me to have a 95 del sol usdm configuration. coz he said "its ok to have a jdm head and block as long as u have a 95 del sol usdm configuration." my question is, what are the complete parts that hes talking about when he said configurations?
Old 04-22-2013, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 93 b16 swap

He Meant:
USDM ECU
And the rest must be USDM OEM or CARB legal alternatives (intake manifold, evap system, catalytic converter, intake box, fuel system)
Old 04-23-2013, 07:06 AM
Trial User

are those all the parts that i need to have as a 95 honda del sol? and one more thing, i found out that a 1995 del sol has three trims levels. what trim level should i follow then? or is it that all 95 del sol's have the same configuration even if they have different engines?
Old 04-23-2013, 07:10 AM
If you loved me, you'd all sell me your magic cards to me today

get a picture of a del sol engine bay that came with a b16a in it. Yours need to look exactly like that and run the same ECU.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It may be worth investigation: because this is a Civic engine going into a Civic it may be considered an "Engine replacement" instead of an engine change, which falls under a different tier of BAR regulations. You should call the BAR ref again and ask them about the differences between an engine change and an engine replacement.

In simple terms "Change" is used in the context of the engine was not native to the chassis, and "replacement" is used in the context of 'my engine is broken and I am going to replace it with an engine from the same car'.

This doesn't change the emission regulations that you must conform to, but it MAY mitigate the need to get your car inspected by a BAR ref. A California smog tech will not complain about a Civic engine being in a Civic, assuming it is installed properly.

It seems that CARB has made this information much harder to find since I did my swap 3 years ago... You should call them back and see what your swap falls under.

This is what I did find, the regulations for an engine "change"
http://www.autorepair.ca.gov/80_BARR...uidelines.html

Engine replacement I could not find. CARB website and search features are awful
Old 04-24-2013, 11:30 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by EJ8_Man
It may be worth investigation: because this is a Civic engine going into a Civic it may be considered an "Engine replacement" instead of an engine change, which falls under a different tier of BAR regulations. You should call the BAR ref again and ask them about the differences between an engine change and an engine replacement.

In simple terms "Change" is used in the context of the engine was not native to the chassis, and "replacement" is used in the context of 'my engine is broken and I am going to replace it with an engine from the same car'.

This doesn't change the emission regulations that you must conform to, but it MAY mitigate the need to get your car inspected by a BAR ref. A California smog tech will not complain about a Civic engine being in a Civic, assuming it is installed properly.

It seems that CARB has made this information much harder to find since I did my swap 3 years ago... You should call them back and see what your swap falls under.

This is what I did find, the regulations for an engine "change"
http://www.autorepair.ca.gov/80_BARR...uidelines.html

Engine replacement I could not find. CARB website and search features are awful
thanks for this. im actually looking for a b16 swap. id rather buy an engine that i want compared to buying a stock engine. so yeah i told them that in my mind i want a b16. so thats what they told me. that i needed a 95 del sol configuration. i just want to know the complete parts when they meant configurations. so i can just pick out those parts from a 95 del sol.