Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

92 VX not running right need input

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 06:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 VX not running right need input

I just got my VX a few weeks ago. It sat for 1 1/2 years so the gas was shitty. We changed out the plugs, wires, cap & rotor, battery, changed the oil, new altinator, and fuel filter. I also seafoamed it and ran chevron tecron through with the first fill up of gas that I did.

The car is still running like crap. I have no power in fact it bogs down between 2500 and 3000 rpm. If I can get it over about 3200 rpm it runs fine. Also I am only getting about 36 MPG when I was hoping for atleast 50.

Anyone have any suggestions on what is causing this problem.

Thanks for looking,

Jack
Old 09-21-2006, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 92 VX not running right need input (HondaJack)

have you tried to check your timing?? i know when i changed my distributor i was off timing.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Check timing and timing belt condition, make sure you have the proper spark plugs in there, they are a hotter plug than all the other SOHC engines...I can't remember the exact full number for them but they are a 4 not a 6 (BKR4F-11 instead of BKR6F-11) You might be looking at replacing the O2 sensor on that car as well. Be forewarned it is about $350 to get a new one for the VX.

My Vx was running crappy when I first got it with 300K miles on it. it was doing exactly what you mentioned. I replaced the spark plugs (they were the wrong ones) wires cap and rotor, and O2 (I had the proper one in my garage already). And it cleared up the problem. Just be forewarned that these cars have a "Lean-Burn" mode that kicks in depending on throttle position (it feels like the car is a bit sluggish during that time) but shouldn't stutter. Also clean out your IACV.

You are on the right step having seafomed the engine and run injector cleaner through it.
There should be an updshift indicator below the gas gauge that lights up when you are supposed to shift (usually around 2200RPM). VTEC-E kicks in between 2500-3000RPM depending on throttle position. Don't expect any power from the D15Z1 in that car, it's not meant for it.

Follow the shift indicator and live with slightly slower acceleration and you will enjoy 50+ MPG on the highway and 46+ on city streets. I have been enjoying over 50MPG combined driving with the only mods to my VX being a smoothed underpan and smaller side mirrors with over 315K miles on the motor now.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TomO)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TomO &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Check timing and timing belt condition, make sure you have the proper spark plugs in there, they are a hotter plug thatn all the other SOHC engines...I can't remember the exact full number for them but they are a 4 not a 6 (BKR4F-11 instead of BKR6F-11) You might be looking at replacing the O2 sensor on that car as well. Be forewarned it is about $350 to get a new one for the VX.

My Vx was running crappy when I first got it with 300K miles on it. I replaced the spark plugs (they were the wrong ones) wires cap and rotor, and O2 (I had the proper one in my garage already).

You are on the right step having seafomed the engine and run injector cleaner through it.
There should be an updhift indicator below the gas gauge that lights up when you are supposed to shift (usually around 2200RPM). VTEC-E kicks in between 2500-3000RPM depending on throttle position. Don't expect any power from the D15Z1 in that car, it's not meant for it.

Follow the shift indicator and live with slightly slower acceleration and you will enjoy 50+ MPG on the highway and 46+ on city streets. I have been enjoying over 50MPG combined driving with the only mod to my VX being a smoothed underpan with over 315K miles on the motor now.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for the input TomO. Actyally the O2 Sensor looks Brand new it isnt even dirty. I am thinking it is something to do with the VTEC because as you said it kicks in at 2500-3000 rmp that is where I get the bog where it just looses power. I should be at least gaining a bit of power VTEC and that is not happening.

I will follow the shift indicator once I can go up a hill right. I will be driving ultra conservative to maximize MPG just to see how much I can get.

I will double check the plugs. I did get them from the dealer and I know they knew it was for a VX because we went through that for the other parts.

I will check the timing tonight but suspect that it is something with the VTEC.

Have you checked out Gassavers.org link below in my sig?

Agian thanks for your input.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Any other ideas?

Any other help?
Old 09-21-2006, 01:26 PM

Default Re: Any other ideas? (HondaJack)

Did you drive it at all before doing all that work to it? Did it run like **** then?
Old 09-21-2006, 03:25 PM

Default Re: (TomO)

my VX with Si/EX tranny and exedy stage one clutch and short shifter is sweet. it's very peppy. night and day difference from stock VX trans.

My MPG didn't change either..for some odd reason. I was expecting a small drop, but nope. I get 38-46 depending on weather, driving style, etc. I do mix of city/hw. has 160k.

About your situation, my car usually runs kinda crappy with chevron techron..so look into the other stuff these guys suggested..and also, if you're still on that same tank, wait for a complete fill up and see how it runs.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:32 PM

Default Re: (Heinz57)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Heinz57 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my VX with Si/EX tranny and exedy stage one clutch and short shifter is sweet. it's very peppy. night and day difference from stock VX trans.

My MPG didn't change either..for some odd reason. I was expecting a small drop, but nope. I get 38-46 depending on weather, driving style, etc. I do mix of city/hw. has 160k.

About your situation, my car usually runs kinda crappy with chevron techron..so look into the other stuff these guys suggested..and also, if you're still on that same tank, wait for a complete fill up and see how it runs.</TD></TR></TABLE>Stock VX is supposed to get 52/55 city/hwy.... something must be wrong, but if you're doing mostly highway then it shouldnt change much since im sure the final gear has a similar ratio in both trannies
Old 09-21-2006, 05:18 PM

Default Re: (rentacop)

Stock VX in tip top shape would possibly pull 52/55. Nothing is wrong - car age/milage/environment affects car performance. I also mentioned in my post - which is what you quoted that, "I do mix of city/hw."

I'm not sure how similar the final gear is between the two..i'm sure someone else will chime in. Winter time in chicago I usually average 38mpg, and summer time I average 42mpg. Just giving the guy my setup and example to maybe help him in his situation...also to say that VXs don't have to be total turtles.. maybe turtles on a small dose of crack
Old 09-21-2006, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Any other ideas? (rentacop)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rentacop &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did you drive it at all before doing all that work to it? Did it run like **** then?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ya I drove it before changing out anything. It did get better with the new parts but still is not right.