Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

92 Civic Si hatch - No Start after Delivery Completed

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 Civic Si hatch - No Start after Delivery Completed

I have been working as a pizza delivery person since I was 21 I'm 31 now I usually have crappy junky cars to do it with but a few years ago I got myself a 1992 Honda civic Si hatch with a bad engine and it was such a good deal I bought it up for 400 dollars. After an engine replacement 2 years of delivering pizza I've put on 55,000 kilometers of just pizza driving (drive a 07 ford fusion otherwise) and this little problem is popping up.

You have to understand that this happens only when I have quick shutdowns and start-ups if I go on a constant delivery blast like 3-4 deliveries in a row there and back to the store this happens.

I get in I start it up, I roll to the delivery location I shut off the car I'm at the door for a minute or so (depending of course) I go back to the car I get it I start it up IT STARTS then dies really quick like within 2 seconds then unable to start for a short amount of time but it does start again, when this happens I hear the fuel pump go like normal every time but after it happens and the car dies I try the restart and I cannot hear it..... until I hear the pump again I cannot start the car. So I'm thinking fuel pump is going right... 422000 kms on her 2 years of me ripping on it for money I just want any ideas before I go in and change the pump. No idea if it was ever changed before with this many kms I would think so but you could have a GEM of a fuel pump in there.

CAR SPEC
D16Z6 Stock
Cold Air Intake & K&N Filter
Ebay Header ($1.27 Auction win)
Engine Back Exhaust 3 Inch (From a wrecked S/C b18c1)
MSD Cap & Rotor & External Coil (From Previous Owner)
Accel Wires NGK plugs
Stock P28 (but it came with a chipped p28 on crome)

No engine codes but when the start problem happens the light is on while the car is off but the key is on but that's normal... I assume.

I changed the ECU Recently because I thought that was the problem it didn't fix it but if gave me 35MPG instead of the crap I was getting before 600 per tank owns 380 per tank for sure but this start thing is starting to get to me and as you know in any business that's time critical TIME IS MONEY I cannot sit there in the last customers driveway trying to start this thing.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:18 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Re: Pizza Mans Dilemma

Main Relay

Symptoms
http://techauto.tripod.com/

Location and Repair/Replace
http://techauto.awardspace.com/civicrelay.html
Old 05-31-2011, 01:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

like the guy above me said. i had the same problem i changed my fuel pump and still had the problem, then i changed the main relay and ive been problem free for over a year now. autozone has them for 50 bucks or you could reflow the solder on the one you have now.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:40 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by HondaPartsHero
Main Relay
Yep.

Fuel pumps almost never go bad in these things, i've seen them last 700,000 - 800,000kms.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a problem like this with my '92 accord. I'll give it a look-see.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i know its unrelated but you should ditch that 3" exhaust.. its killing your fuel mileage and power on a stock non boosted z6... find a cheap 2.25 or even stock exhaust and throw on that thing..
Old 05-31-2011, 04:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: 92 Civic Si hatch - intermittent no start problem

Please create thread titles that summarize the tech problem - edited.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you can hold the key over and it stays running then its the ignition switch. In other words If you can start the car and as soon as you let off the key it dies. Then its the ignition switch. I have had some luck pullin the switch out and scraping the contacts off and have fixed them before. It could also be the main relay as others have stated.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
Please create thread titles that summarize the tech problem - edited.

Thanks for editing the title I did read that post, hence the standardized automotive information, but alas after I had written my novel and changed the title to something more appropriate (92 Civic No Start after Delivery Completed) the site asked me to LOG IN again and must have reverted to an earlier version of my post with the incorrect title. I did try to EDIT the title myself after the posting due to my understanding of the rules but I was unable too. In the Future I will be sure to continue to input a correct title as the posted instructions state.

May I add, a private message reguarding the Topic Title being changed may reduce the posibility of topic repitition due to the original topic not being found, because a moderator changing the name to a name unbeknownst by me.

Excuses aside I will replace my main relay tonight and report back. Thanks for the idea I was leaning towards an electrical problem of some sort.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ReDHaTcHyGuy
i know its unrelated but you should ditch that 3" exhaust.. its killing your fuel mileage and power on a stock non boosted z6... find a cheap 2.25 or even stock exhaust and throw on that thing..
I have the silencer fully closed (its adjustable) so essentialy I am down to the stock pipe size but only at the tip of the muffler, your pretty much saying I would get better than 35 MPG if I reverted to a stock exhaust? Sounds like Money to my ears!
Old 05-31-2011, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by hafast
Thanks for editing the title I did read that post, hence the standardized automotive information, but alas after I had written my novel and changed the title to something more appropriate (92 Civic No Start after Delivery Completed) the site asked me to LOG IN again and must have reverted to an earlier version of my post with the incorrect title. I did try to EDIT the title myself after the posting due to my understanding of the rules but I was unable too. In the Future I will be sure to continue to input a correct title as the posted instructions state.

May I add, a private message reguarding the Topic Title being changed may reduce the posibility of topic repitition due to the original topic not being found, because a moderator changing the name to a name unbeknownst by me.

Excuses aside I will replace my main relay tonight and report back. Thanks for the idea I was leaning towards an electrical problem of some sort.
Don't worry about it. If you have any thread problems in the future, just PM me and I'll help you out. I have now changed your title to what you intended it to be.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 92 Civic Si hatch - No Start after Delivery Completed

The soldering n the main relay prob went bad if u can't find one for cheap search n there will be a lot of threads on resoldering the relay
Old 05-31-2011, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No relay Changing this evening missed the parts places by 7 minutes and Canadian Tire Does not even list such an electrical component. Going to have to check NAPA or parts Source (owned by Canadian tire so they probably wont have it either). If it kicks out on me again ill just kick it back, maybe that will smarten the lil bastage up.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hope it fixes it! Mines does this too. Its a pain in the @ss!
Old 05-31-2011, 09:39 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

LOL@CT - they won't help you much I don't think for that part. Honestly, try the soldering trick - it's as cheap a fix as you can imagine.... CT can help you there with finding a soldering gun!
Old 06-03-2011, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Mission Completed, Perfect Diagnosis, Main Relay was changed tried and tried and tried again to replicate the stalling to no avail. Runs Perfectly again every time, Picked up a third relay from a U-PULL lot as well as a backup Just in case. Part was 59.63 from Parts Source, the rep there as soon as I told him what It was doing he knew exactly what it was and fetched it for me.