Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

5 point harness

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2003, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5 point harness

do any of you know of a site that sells a 4 or 5 point seatbelt harness??
Old 01-12-2003, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 5 point harness (bustersandman)

http://www.modacar.com
Old 01-12-2003, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 5 point harness (Spoon Hybrid)

here we go again

do you have a rollbar? if you do not, dont drive with a 4+point harness. its not safe. if the car rolls over you WILL DIE wearing a harness.
Old 01-12-2003, 09:25 PM

Default Re: 5 point harness (Kamin)

I am getting one made this is why i have started looking for them
Old 01-12-2003, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

werd to that. normal belts allow you to bend over and lean forward so your *** doesn't get crushed in a roll over. but if you are looking into getting a 4 or 5 point harness im assuming you have a roll bar, so alteast you have something to mount it to.
Old 01-12-2003, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 5 point harness (Spoon Hybrid)

i hate driving in cars with racing belts on the streets, its too constricting. if i ever get a roll bar i will get a 5 point harness and install it, and keep my stock belt for street use.
Old 01-12-2003, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 5 point harness (bustersandman)

I am getting one made this is why i have started looking for them
ok good.
http://www.opmmotorsports.com/
http://www.ioportracing.com/

[Modified by Kamin, 10:31 PM 1/12/2003]
Old 01-12-2003, 09:49 PM

ttt
Old 01-12-2003, 09:56 PM

lol... i have a recaro bucket, 4 point rollbar and a 5 point 3" racing harness from sparco. i just drove back up to massachusettes last night, 5.5 hours non-stop strapped in, my car got over 350 miles on one tank going 70-90+mph the whole way. my shoulders were killing me by the time i got home b/c i didnt have my harness pads on... and i highly recommernd the spg seat, its really comfortable, even on a long drive(and i have tein ra's too, which are staight-up ****** stiff).

and dont waste your time or safety on a 4point harness, im sure somebody who has one will tell you all about them... so ill save my fingers the trouble.
Old 01-13-2003, 08:47 AM

here we go again

do you have a rollbar? if you do not, dont drive with a 4+point harness. its not safe. if the car rolls over you WILL DIE wearing a harness.
He didn't ask what he needed to safely have a 4 point harness, he simply asked for some sites.
Old 01-13-2003, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 5 point harness (smslude)

[confused]i find it interesting that 4 point harness's without bars are SO unsafe..... ive had them forever.. i do have a roll bar now.. btu didn't always.. and my friend had them in his gsr before he sold it and he ALWAYS passed tech at the track... interesting that a tech certified to inspect and find safety violations finds NO issues with harness and no bar.. but EVERYONE swears its SO dangerous... [/confused]
Old 01-13-2003, 01:35 PM

Default Re: 5 point harness (oc_civic)

I bought a nice set (for racing only) from racerwholesale.com. I think around $70 or so; 3" red.
Old 01-13-2003, 03:32 PM

Default Re: 5 point harness (oc_civic)

[confused]i find it interesting that 4 point harness's without bars are SO unsafe..... ive had them forever.. i do have a roll bar now.. btu didn't always.. and my friend had them in his gsr before he sold it and he ALWAYS passed tech at the track... interesting that a tech certified to inspect and find safety violations finds NO issues with harness and no bar.. but EVERYONE swears its SO dangerous... [/confused]
What's the point of a harness? To hold you in the seat better, right? Especially when g-forces are trying to move you, right? What do you think happens when you flip or roll? Your body tries to move with the forces exerted on it. If you've got a harness holding you up, your head does a good impression of an egg when the roof caves in. People survive rollovers/flips with a 3 point belt because it allows the body to move to the side when forces push it that way. A harness that is made to hold you upright will not.

Also, if you're using it for the street, most are not street legal. Actually there is only one that is that I know of....and now I forgot the name
Old 01-13-2003, 03:47 PM

Default Re: 5 point harness (Dave421)

to follow up my original post regrading the pointlessness of a 4point... without the 5th point(submarine belt, aka the ball buster) a racing harness will ride up making it alot more dangerous in the event of an accident. if you get in a frontal impact a 4 point will break your ribs(almost a given) and possibly even your sternum if it wasnt tightened enough, this will collapse your lungs and you will die. the 5th point prevents the cam-lock(buckle) from riding up, which will in turn prevent the shoulder harnesses from loosening.
you need a 5point harness and a seat that has a hole for it in the bottom. plus some kind of rollover protection which will also give you a solid mounting point above the critical 45 degree angle, which will also prevent spinal compression from the belts applying downward force on your shoulders, compressing your spine.

let's sum this up: 4point
5 or 6point
rollbar

[Modified by euclid, 8:51 PM 1/13/2003]
Old 01-13-2003, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 5 point harness (smslude)

here we go again

He didn't ask what he needed to safely have a 4 point harness, he simply asked for some sites.
yes i know but i wont willingly help someone be unsafe on the street.
Old 01-15-2003, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 5 point harness (Dave421)

What's the point of a harness? To hold you in the seat better, right? Especially when g-forces are trying to move you, right? What do you think happens when you flip or roll? Your body tries to move with the forces exerted on it. If you've got a harness holding you up, your head does a good impression of an egg when the roof caves in. People survive rollovers/flips with a 3 point belt because it allows the body to move to the side when forces push it that way. A harness that is made to hold you upright will not.

Also, if you're using it for the street, most are not street legal. Actually there is only one that is that I know of....and now I forgot the name
i really did not intend this to be an argument....

lets sum it up.. you MIGTH know your **** BUT...

a) NJ state inspection says its ok.. with or without a roll bar...
b) Atco and Englishtown Raceway both say its ok with or with out a roll bar...

NO DISRESPECT.. but i trust trained profesionals who are TRAINED to failr people for ANYTHING thats potentialy unsafe...

it really doesn't matter.. i have them AND a roll bar.. so who gives a ****... im just saying i dont get why EVERYONE BUT the safety inspectors are such experts..