Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

2000 Si - oil pan stud tq.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Si - oil pan stud tq.

< New guy, has typical new guy annoying question.

I have a '00 Civic Si with a leaking oil pan. I picked up the moroso stud kit, pan, and a Honda oil pan gasket (had issues with the fel-pro).

My question is; what do I torque the pan studs to?

The nuts should go to stock spec (around 108 in/lb as I recall), but I can't find a spec on the studs that the nuts to screw onto. I would assume tighter than the nuts, so the nuts can be removed without taking out the studs.
I've gone to the search engines, searched this board, read the packaging, and haven't been able to get a hold of Moroso tech support, so here I am. I did find a few things here about moroso pans leaking which is a little unsettling, but I have to get the pan on before it can leak (hoping it doesn't of course).

Please excuse my first post being a tech question. I do plan on sticking around (not just trying to squeeze the board for info when I need it), I might even have some useful insight, but right now, I just want to get this thing put together.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:39 AM

Default Re: 2000 Si - oil pan stud tq.

Update: Rubber gaskets suck, will not handle oem torque specs. The fel-pro split at 8 lb/ft., I haven't pulled it back off yet, but it appears the Honda gasket split at about 5 lb/ft. wft ever happened to cork rubber?
next step: rtv the f**k out of it, if that doesn't work I'm welding it on.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:59 AM

just checked my hayne's manual and you were close about the nuts, they are 104 in/lb. Didn't see anything about the studs though, maybe somone else will know.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:25 PM

Well, some of the holes are straight through (the one by the crank pulley for instance), so that rules out a torque spec. I found a write up on installing studs in an SBC, their specs were "tight enough + thread lock" so hopefully that'll work. Shouldn't matter much anyway.

The pan is in. I think it might be leaking, but I'm sick of lookin at it right now, so I'll check again tomorrow. I took my sweet time with the pan (off work monday, no rush), and it took all of 15 minutes to put the dynomax muffler back on (jack up the car, cut the muffler off - run it - put the dynomax on, and drop it back down).

Took pics with phone, and yeah, thats a Mustang in front of the Si (theres another one on the other side of the garage door).
Attached Images