Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

2000 DX hatch random stalling when warmed up, during acceleration and turns.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 DX hatch random stalling when warmed up, during acceleration and turns.

Hey guys,

This is my girlfriends car: 2000 Civic DX (D16Y7), auto, 158,000 KM, bought 2nd hand, new distributor (non-oem I think)

Here's the problem, as per my g/f. The car starts up fine, warms up, drives maybe about 20 minutes and stalls on her when she comes to a stop or when she turns. It happens quote frequently for her. No CEL, just the oil and battery light comes one. She has to wait about 4-5 min before the car will start again. After that, it drives fine til she gets home.

We brought it my mechanic and he changed the fuel filter, suggested we run a bottle of fuel injector cleaner and monitor the car. So the next day me and my buddy topped up the car, added the cleaner to a full tank and drove. Drove for about 15 min, stopped and chilled for a about 20 min and drove
again, non stop for at least 30 min, grabbed a bit and headed home. No problems at all except a slight jittering during acceleration at one red light.

The next day my g/f drives to work fine, coming home the car stalls on her. She continues to drive for the rest of the week and it keeps stalling at least once. Same situation: she drives the car til its warm and it stalls. The only difference this time is that she doesn't need to wait to start the car after it stalls. She can start it immediately and it'll go.

Today, my buddy cleaned the IACV and throttle body. Drove around for about 20 min. to try to dupicate the problem and it finally stalls. My recollection was that it was at a complete stop, I gas and it just dies, no CEL. It fired up, no problem and kept on driving. I drive about 5-6 blocks, holding the gas pedal at a constant rate and it starts to stutter a little but eventually evens out. Drive another 10 or so blocks and make a right turn. It dies but it wasn't sudden, it was stuttering a little and eventually died off, no CEL. Start up again and continue driving. I make a right turn (fine), drive a little, make another right turn. Again, it stutters and slowly cuts out as I coast to the
side of the road, no CEL. This time I tried to pump the gas as it stuttered but no response. Again, start up again, drove for about 5 min., no problems, 100% fine. Stop at my friends place to brainstorm (in the car while it's idling) but nothing it coming to us. He decides to take it for a spin, we drive for about 15-20 min, no stall, nothing more then a very small stutter during acceleration.

That brings me here to HT, stumped. My buddy talked to his mechanic and he suggested the following:

- Debris in tank: stuff could be in the tank, floating around waiting to plug the fuel pump (sorry, don't know the anantomy of the fuel tank or where it goes to)
- Dying fuel pump?
- Ignition coil: check resistance w/ multimeter?

My buddy can't figure out weather it's fuel, spark or air. Also mentioned the fact the distributor is non-oem (not confirmed), it could be faulty.

I have a few days w/ the car since my g/f is outta town and I would like to possible have this solved or improved before she gets back. Any suggested or very welcome at this point. I'll also try to provide any info I might have missed or forgot.

Thanks guys in advance.

Last edited by flameboy54; 04-01-2010 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:16 PM

Default Re: 2000 DX hatch random stalling when warmed up, during acceleration and turns.

My vote is plugs!! Or possibly ur plug wires? Sounds like a mean short. Although I suppose it could be ur dizzy. Swap it with one that you know works fine.

My thoughts on the fuel part was that if it was fuel related it would die everytime u started it not just once a trip.

But just possibly a fuel pump on it's last leg. But if it were me I'd go the route of checking ur distributor

just my 2 cents hope this helps
Old 04-02-2010, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2000 DX hatch random stalling when warmed up, during acceleration and turns.

Check the coil inside of the distributor and make sure it is operating correctly. If the problem still occurs after that check your MAP sensor and see if there is any debris in the opening for it, possibly clean it with some carburetor cleaner to double check.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

@josh89 Plugs were changed 6 months ago, not sure when the wires were changed. I'll take a look at the fuel pump today.

@American.Graffiti Will probably crack open the distributor today also.

Thanks for the replies guys. Anyone else want to chime in??
Old 04-03-2010, 10:04 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

she might be letting the the clutch go way to soon jk.. looks like someone needs a swap