Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

2000 Civic SI performance problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Civic SI performance problems

I am working on a B16A2 that the customer installed a Skunk II (pro series) intake manifold, relocated the IAT sensor, header, over-sized throttle body, K+N short ram intake, over-sized 360cc injectors and wired them in with some sort of resistor. The injectors look like what you would see on a turbo Mitsubishi.

Anyway, the engine barely ran we had to push it in the shop, spark plugs were fowled BLACK! you could smell a lot of fuel coming out of the exhaust. I cleaned them up and after running for a few minutes they were fowled again and engine was barely running again. I thought the injectors were too large and thought we should install the original injectors and rewire them as original. The engine now runs well, but has no mid-range power. When accelerating harshly, the car does not want to move. It is not misfiring and not throwing any CEL or codes. No vacuum leaks are present. Computer is stock. Spark plugs are Denso Iridums. I am trying to figure out where to go from here or anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks in advance. Mike
Old 01-28-2009, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2000 Civic SI performance problems

You need a tune man. You can't just throw parts at it and expect it to run great. How is the stock computer supposed to compensate for the increased fuel in the mixture? How is it supposed to compensate for the extra air from the throttle body and intake manifold? Get a hondata ECU and a dyno tune and you will be good to go. By the way a fowl is a bird, spark plugs get fouled...
Old 01-28-2009, 01:34 PM

Thanks tercel95. I do understand what I need to do and why, but I am looking for advice on what parts I should get. I figured I need a chip or ECU upgrade, so I will do a search for these parts you are speaking of. I am thinking about asking the kid to bring me the original parts so I can return it to stock because they are already concerned about money. I think THEY thought you could just throw parts at a car and get it to run, I am just trying to fix their problem. These are 2 kids working on their car in their garage. I a shop but do not do a whole lot of Honda performance. I did not post to argue about birds.....Thanks again.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am just giving you a hard time with the English lesson... Anyways, it is not uncommon for kids like the ones that came to you to just put random parts on a car and hope for the best. Answer this question, how often have you seen a "modded" honda going down the road with a plume of black smoke coming out the back? I asked this kid at my school once why his car was smoking like cheech and chong and he replied "because I put bigger injectors in" When I asked "why?" he had no real response, so I assume it was to go with that mad tyte wing he had on his 4 door purple civic... Anyways I digress here are a couple options. I'm guessing they bought the biggest throttle body they could get since I'm sure they thought bigger is better. The throttle body and intake manifold are probably a little much for their application. Even with a good tune I doubt they are going to have the smoothest powerband. The intake and header are fine you can run those with virtually no problems. The injectors are completely unnecessary in every way throw those in the garbage... Your solution for tuning would be to go to an authorized hondata dealer and get a hondata chipped ECU from them. There are a couple shops in MD that can do this, I'm not sure where you are in MD though... Please take the time to educate whoever's car it is... Honda engines are engineered very well, it requires extensive tuning experience to get significant gains from these engines. Oh and FYI the b16a2 does not have that broad of a powerband to begin with. It feels like nothing until 5500 rpm...

http://www.hondata.com/
Old 01-28-2009, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

will maybe the crank is flooded with gasoline? i dont know much but it just my thoughts. take out the dip stick and smell it if it smells like gas. if it does, do an oil change and dont put the injectors back in, use the stock.

i have the sk2 manifold, intake, header on my car and it doesn't need a tune to be floored..still makes power. i did try the sk2 throttle body but it made my car run rich and black smoke came out so i took it off. you could look into that too. from my point of view a tune is just to make your motor faster unless you have A LOT of mods then you would be required to do a tune.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So after all those little lego parts are put in, you still do not need those injectors.

Put stock injectors back in. Idiots.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ya you mainly only need larger injectors when you go turbo or you build the motor or do something to get higher compression. I didn't need larger injectors till I did the high comp pistons and high comp valves and my skunk2 pro 1 cams. Before that I had an intake exhaust headers and upgraded ignition and just put a FPR on the car and got it back to the correct fuel mixture. They def don't need those injectors.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

their problem is that they don't understand... You gotta pay to play....

put everything back to stock and call it a day.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:56 AM

The customer decided to pick up the car. Thanks for your help and advice.

Mike