Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

1999 CX Grinding Noise Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 CX Grinding Noise Help Needed

Hi all. The noise in the video is always present at whatever speed. The nuts had nothing to do with holding the tire in place (used a hammer to knock it off). And when I removed the drum cover for the first time and put it back on, there was even more friction, therefore, much less rotation. Your wisdom would be greatly helpful. I could not find other threads with this exact situation. Thanks! I have videos but they’ve exceeded the size limit. I could send you them through email if you’d like.
Old 05-27-2018, 04:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1999 CX Grinding Noise Help Needed

Where's the video?

Did you change out brake shoes?
Did you spray the internals with brake cleaner spray to remove dust and buildup?
More than likely the brake shoes and springs shifted when you put the drum back on so, it may just take a bit of time for the shoe pads to not scrape the inner diameter of the brake drums. If it doesn't resolve itself within a few days remove the drum again, clean all the internals well with break cleaner, lightly wet sand the inner drum (brake side) with 600 grit or higher black sand-paper, then reinstall drum.

Did you adjust the star-wheel at all?
Old 05-27-2018, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Megalodong
Where's the video?

Did you change out brake shoes?
Did you spray the internals with brake cleaner spray to remove dust and buildup?
More than likely the brake shoes and springs shifted when you put the drum back on so, it may just take a bit of time for the shoe pads to not scrape the inner diameter of the brake drums. If it doesn't resolve itself within a few days remove the drum again, clean all the internals well with break cleaner, lightly wet sand the inner drum (brake side) with 600 grit or higher black sand-paper, then reinstall drum.

Did you adjust the star-wheel at all?
I haven’t done any of what you said. All I did was removed most of what seemed like coal powder (with a rag). But I’m not sure what you mean by star-wheel (couldn’t find on google). I could not upload the videos as they exceeded the limit. It sounds like metal on metal grinding. Only on a specific part though. I think it’s due to an imperfect fit of the cover. When put on, the gap distance between the cover and the rest of the assembly is bigger on top than bottom. Think of a jam jar lid not put on air-tight.
Old 05-28-2018, 02:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Hakju Lee
I haven’t done any of what you said. All I did was removed most of what seemed like coal powder (with a rag). But I’m not sure what you mean by star-wheel (couldn’t find on google). I could not upload the videos as they exceeded the limit. It sounds like metal on metal grinding. Only on a specific part though. I think it’s due to an imperfect fit of the cover. When put on, the gap distance between the cover and the rest of the assembly is bigger on top than bottom. Think of a jam jar lid not put on air-tight.
Post your video on Youtube and then post that youtube link here.

That coal powder is brake dust that emits from the brake shoe pads. Purchase a can or two of brake cleaner spray at Walmart or auto parts store so that when you remove the drum again you can clean the brake internals (shown in diagram below) thoroughly. Inspect the brake shoes..they may be worn down and causing metal to metal contact...the pads minimum thickness should be 5 mm (IIRC). Is the scraping sound constant or only during braking?
If you didn't adjust the star-wheel (item #17 in diagram) then just leave it as is. Here's it's function: How Long Should A Brake Job Last? 12,000 Miles Minimum

Check the wheel cylinder: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...B&gclsrc=aw.ds to see if it's aligned correctly.

My mom's '04 Civic had a right rear constant rotational scraping...I ended up purchasing a used drum from a local junkyard and it fixed the issue. My guess is the prior drum either developed wear/uneven spots or it warped (if that's possible?).