Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

1998 Civic EX

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Civic EX

I have a 1998 Civic EX that I bought a few months ago. I bought it from the original owners so it's in very good condition, considering its age. It has a manual transmission and pretty much everything is stock, except for the radio head which was replaced by the original owners.

When I bought it, I bought headlights/taillights to make it different from all the other Civics that are running around where I live, and I also bought Tenzo Passion 5 rims for it. It looks nice, and pretty much everyone I've shown it to thinks it looks nice (even the people driving down the street... I've caught them staring at the car while they drive by ). One day I'll go buy some tint for the windows.

But where I'm stuck is what to do with the engine (it's stock, so I'm guessing it's the D16). It runs great, almost like new, the original owners had just replaced the clutch a couple of years ago and they did something else I think, but can't remember what exactly. Basically just tune-ups though. It's pushing the 200k mile mark (!) and I'm not sure how much longer it should last, so I was going to wait on doing any engine mods until it dies and I can maybe swap out the engine for a newer one.

Is this a good idea?

Also, I wanted to do something with the exhaust to make it sound better.

Could anyone help me choose a good brand to go with? I won't be driving this on the track, so pretty much anything that sounds good will do fine. And also, will modding the exhaust mess up any future plans I could have with a new engine?

I'm new to the whole tuning thing, as I'm not very old and this is my first car, so any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1998 Civic EX (blegthbloo)

You've come to the right place. Just search, and read alot.

First of all, as far as exhaust goes, this is one of my favorites.http://youtube.com/watch?v=vZT0EIuQNiI

Also, apexi world sport is supposed to be pretty nice.

What do you mean by your headlights/taillights? I hope not altezza, right? Look around on honda-tech, most everone keeps their car clean with a lip(s), tasteful wheels (15 or 16 inch) and other subtle styles. Not too flashy.

As far as the engine, with almost 200,000 miles, i wouldn't boost it. Maybe if it had less miles... the B series motor is a good motor WITH POTENTIAL. If you go with a B16, don't think you're the fastest kid in a civic on the planet. Know that you're going to be pretty slow. Some just throw a peiced together turbo kit on a d15, d16, or better yet a B series. Then there is the K motor, but that's probably out of the question since they're expensive. you have a lot of options. How much do have to spend on your car? oh and btw, just because people turn to look at your civic, doesn't mean they think it looks good
Old 07-03-2007, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1998 Civic EX (Boost_V)

Alright thanks. For the headlights/tallights, I don't even remember what they were called. I like to keep it subtle too, but my car is red, and one of the brightest reds out there, so it does kinda stand out (but basically, you won't see me driving down the street with stickers and huge fins or those crazy looking hoods). My rims are 17's, so they're pretty nice.

About the looking at my car thing... the day I put on my rims someone tried to steal my car, so what do you think of that!? - the alarm ultimately saved me. Speaking of, would you know where (like Autozone or Pep Boys or even online) I could buy a dummy light for the dash to let people know (if they look inside) that I have an alarm? Just one of those red lights that sit in the dash would be fine. I don't even want to put those kinds of stickers on my car... although it does have one already... but I'll probably take that off when I tint the windows.

I'm not trying to be the fastest car out there, but if the B-series is good then I can go with that. Is that like what they put in the Si?
Old 07-03-2007, 02:46 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You have a lot of reading to do.

The best advice I can give you is to spend 2-3 months reading on here and save your money.

That way, you'll ultimately end up with what will make you happier and you'll be more confident in your buying choices.

I'm been here for 2 years now and I've had a mostly stock car. Now that I have my money all saved up, H-t should prepare for the monster build I'll be doing.

Besides, it's more fun to order more parts in one week than most people order in a whole year.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1998 Civic EX (ek forever guy)

See, I've been trying to read. I signed up a while ago and wanted to make sure no one else asked the same questions I had so then I wouldn't repeat anything.

That didn't work out, because most of you guys have this technical lingo that I'm totally unfamiliar with . I would have to sit down for a few days and click on each thread to see what's up, but even during the summer I don't have that kind of time.

I will definitely start reading though (but that doesn't mean I'll understand it, but there's always time to get used to it, eh?).
Old 07-04-2007, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

like what kind of lingo? We're more than willing to help, or some of us are at least. By the way, if you need to know how to do anything, from simple things (like compression test and leakdown), to more comlpicated projects like a complte engine swap, CHECK OUT MY SIG.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Lingo like "compression test" and "leakdown" lol. But I also see stuff like abbreviations that I've never seen, or condensed words that I don't understand.

I can't think of any examples right now, but believe me, I get lost when I read some of these threads.

It's really no problem though, I'll have time to learn.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright good, let us know. If you noticed, i've only made an account a few months ago. But before that, i was reading this site most days of the week for about 1 1/2 year to 2 years. You'll catch on, and it's pretty rewarding doing things yourself. Let us know if you have more questions. And by the way, if you want to know about "compression test" and "leakdown" you'll find out if you just read the link below my post.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sweet, thanks.