Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

1994 EG4 occasionally running rough, misfires, wont start

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 EG4 occasionally running rough, misfires, wont start

Hi there,

I just registered to your forum as this here seems to be the biggest Honda site on the web.
I have a 1994 hatchback here. I'm running this car since 2002, still my first car, and it absolutely never made any trouble. I'm a train commuter, the car has just ran 140.000 kilometers, rust and porous rubber parts are it's greatest enemies, a pita to change some of them...

Now I had the first severe problems.

I allways had very slight misfirings, but you can only notice this because of the very load exhaust sound, and old transverse mount, germans know "Mohr". I never bothered, the car ran fine and efficient.

Now the following happened:
-The engine ran very rough, had more misfirings.

-The idle rpm went down to 500rpm, a little erratical, and did not rew up as usual, you had to be really careful not to stall it.

-After a short time the problem became more severe, the engine ran like "Wrrdrdrdrdrdr", like a 3 cylinder. In the end the engine died and I could not start the car any more.

-there was no backfiring or extreme petrol smell

Further facts when it wont start:
-Error code on...off...on...off... very slowly. I never checked that before, could have been for years (but cannot be the source of trouble here right?).

-Battery is very new and cranks the car like crazy.

-I checked sparks on all four cylinders with an old plug a had lying around - sparks where clearly visible on all fours.

-No visible sparks at the ignition harness visible in the darkness.

-No petrol smell in the exhaust, no backfire, no signs of succesfull ignitions or "some willingness to start".

-Interesting: sometimes the motor was suddenly braked down while cranking- as if a cylinder was ignited early while the piston came up!

-The timing belt is in the right position.

Ultimately the distributor cap was removed, extremely little oil spray in there. There was no visible damage to the contacts and finger. After a cleaning with brake cleaner the car ran fine...
A car wash with direct spray on ignition harness and distributor could not provoke the error again.

After a few weeks there was no additional oil spray in there.
This is how it looked:

And the finger:

Do you have an opinion on that?