Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

18" rims, keeps pulling fender out on left side front

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 18" rims, keeps pulling fender out on left side front

hey there

now i know 18" rims are a bit too large for civics, but i got them from a friend for a great price, and i dont have a lot of money so i went for it. he didnt have the same problem i have, even thought he had the same exact car. anyawy...

i have coilovers and lowered my front to about 1/3" wheel gap. i have 35's, real low profile tires, on my 18" rims. now i get no rubbing unless im turning ALL the way to the left or right, so thats not a problem. what IS a problem is,

when im going up a driveway or incline of some sort to the left, like pulling off a road into a parking lot that has a fairly steep lip on the curb, sometimes not even that steep, my tire "pulls" the fender lip out in this one spot, about an inch wide, sort of towards the front of the fender. i bent it back, and some of the paint chipped off. i rolled it as far as i could under so that the lip was pointing up instead of towards the tire, in hopes that that would fix it. unfortunately, it happened again, 3 times to be exact. now the paint is chipping every time it does that, and i dont want it to chip anymore, and also the fender itself seems to be bent out a little where the lip was getting pulled out.

can someone tell me how to fix this problem? my friend doesnt seem to understand why it doesnt work on mine

thanks in advance
Old 01-05-2004, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 18" rims, keeps pulling fender out on left side front (tovlakas)

Raise your car.
Old 01-05-2004, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't really understand what you are saying without seeing this, but you have coilovers..... why not raise the car a little

I get the same rubbing on steep paths when turning onto them. Rubs but the fender stays put. I'm going to trim the inside lip of the fenders down one of these days to get rid of the rubbing on bumps and hills.
Old 01-05-2004, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ditch the 18's....
Old 01-05-2004, 10:03 AM

Default Re: 18" rims, keeps pulling fender out on left side front (SOHC_MShue)

well i tried raising the car... even at stock height it still happens sometime

as for ditching the 18s... this is why i hate posting at this forum, ******** dont even read what i wrote. i got them for 400 bucks with the tires, sorry im not a rich kid that can buy any rims i want, i wouldnt have bought them but they worked on his car so there must be SOMETHING i can do,

come on now guys...
Old 01-05-2004, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So, the tire is hitting the fender causing it to push out of place? If so, there is NO way the tires should be rubbing the fender at stock heihgt. With 35 series tires that is going to put you close to stock total diameter. At stock height there should be at least a 3 finger gap. Are you talking about the top of the tire at the fender? Or the front end of the tire hitting the front end? Pics would help a lot. But, when rubbing occurs it's usually because the car is too low.

I would of sold those wheels if you got a good deal. If you paid $400 and could of got $650 or $600..... that would be damn close to getting some brand new 15" Rotas and tires
Old 01-05-2004, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tovlakas &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well i tried raising the car... even at stock height it still happens sometime

as for ditching the 18s... this is why i hate posting at this forum, ******** dont even read what i wrote. i got them for 400 bucks with the tires, sorry im not a rich kid that can buy any rims i want, i wouldnt have bought them but they worked on his car so there must be SOMETHING i can do,

come on now guys...</TD></TR></TABLE>

how about you just rock your stock steelies for free?? They won't make your car look like a damn 4x4 and they won't be tearing out your fenders...plus they aren't slowing you down like those 18's. So I still say ditch the 18's. You could have gotten much better wheels for $400 imo.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:37 AM

Default Re: 18" rims, keeps pulling fender out on left side front (SOHC_MShue)

thanks for the helpful replies.

as for the steelies, i had to let go of em cuz my friend's del sol cracked one of his rims, he needed to borrow mine and then he moved to north carolina without givin me them back :'(

as for selling them, how much do you think i could get for 18" white axis touring cup rims? specially since they are discontinued...
Old 01-05-2004, 10:38 AM

btw... i have tokico shocks... would stiffening the fronts help keep from doing this? i have the fronts at 2 right now and the backs at 3
Old 01-05-2004, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tovlakas &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">as for selling them, how much do you think i could get for 18" white axis touring cup rims? specially since they are discontinued...</TD></TR></TABLE>

What do they go for new? What's the condition of the wheels? How many miles on the tires? What kind of tires? I'm sure you can find some ricer around town who will give you at least $500 for them. You'll still be making $100 and you could definitely get 99-00 Si wheels with $500
Old 01-05-2004, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tovlakas &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">btw... i have tokico shocks... would stiffening the fronts help keep from doing this? i have the fronts at 2 right now and the backs at 3</TD></TR></TABLE>

Doubt it! If it's just on steeps it's happening when one side of the car gets lower from the angle. Happens to mine as well. Just got to take it slow, but that fender popping out must be a pain. Those wheels would of been sold the first time that happened if I were you. Being me, they would of never made it to my Eg
Old 01-05-2004, 10:42 AM

Default Re: 18" rims, keeps pulling fender out on left side front (Hybrid93Hatch)

the wheels are pretty good condition, just some minor curb scrapes on the edges... as for the TIRES* (lol) they arent great, tread is fairly worn and one of the rear wheels has a shallow gash in it.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't know how much you'll get off those wheels. Maybe try to find someone who will trade you smaller 15 or 16 inch wheels for them.

Old 01-05-2004, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 18" rims, keeps pulling fender out on left side front (Gumtape_Deathmatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Gumtape_Deathmatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i did not notice you mention offset once! If its an offset less than 38mm you could have a hard time without rolling the fenders generously.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was thinking the same thing.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:07 AM

ahhh

i dont have a camber kit in the front yet... when i get one will that mess things up, right now my wheels are slightly tilted inwards at the top... will fixing the camber increase my rub or move the whole wheel in a bit?
Old 01-05-2004, 11:08 AM

its because honda's weren't made to fit 18" rims
Old 01-05-2004, 11:13 AM

Default Re: (B18bEK)

dude... i already know that.. try reading my first post... if you arent gonna post something helpful then shut the **** up and dont post at all.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tovlakas)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tovlakas &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ahhh

i dont have a camber kit in the front yet... when i get one will that mess things up, right now my wheels are slightly tilted inwards at the top... will fixing the camber increase my rub or move the whole wheel in a bit?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You have negative camber right now...and the tops of the wheels will pivot back out twoards the outsides of the car. It may cause it to rub now, but incorrect TOE settings destory tires quicker than incorrect camber.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:50 AM
Global Moderator

some one on club si
might trade you...