Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

#1 Common problem when getting bad gas mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default #1 Common problem when getting bad gas mileage?

Besides flooring it everywhere.........

I've been getting really really bad gas mileage around town. I have replaced the O2 sensor and distributor cap and rotor. I have also had my exhaust checked for clogs.
The car seems pretty slow and boggy sometimes. It also has a rough low idle in first 15 minutes of driving.

Its a 92 Civic hatch with D15b.

I'm changing out the main relay today because its starting to go bad. After sitting in the hot sun it would'nt start, just turn over. I'm kind of hoping maybe this is why the car has'nt been performing.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:06 AM

Default Re: #1 Common problem when getting bad gas mileage? (Fighterinsnatch)

what is really bad gas mileage to you?
Old 08-05-2008, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

#1 reason for bad gas mileage is the driver.

Why would you think the main relay cause you to get bad gas mileage?

How is your engine mechanically? It could just be getting old and tired.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jonathan_ED3)

I bought the motor 2 years ago from HMO and it was supposed to have between 45-50k miles on it. I would hope and assume that its in good condition. It looked almost new when I received it.

I think around town i get like 15-20mpg.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You think you get 15-20?

Have you not actually measured your MPG?

If you're sitting in tons of stopped traffic....well there's not much you can do except turn the car off and suffer the consequences of dying of a heat stroke in your car.

But if this is just normal "city" driving, you should be in the high 20s/lower 30's for sure.

Any CEL?

Old 08-05-2008, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: #1 Common problem when getting bad gas mileage? (Fighterinsnatch)

Wow, you may have helped me discover a complete different problem. I too have the trouble where sometimes in a hot day, I turn the key, the starter/engine just spins untill all of the sudden, you hear maybe a click in the dash area, and the fuel pump come on. So the main relay causes this?

I know it's not the fuel pump since it's very strong according to my friend who tested it.

When this problem first started, I'd have to hold the key and attempt to start it and let it keep cranking and cranking for about 15 seconds untill I heard that "click" and fuel pump turned on (kills battery doing this.) I then discovered that I didn't need to crank the engine and wait for the click. I just turn the key to ON (the click where all the dash lights come on,) and just wait for that "click." When ever I hear that small click, is when the fuel pump turns on and starts to prime. This rarely happens now. Maybe 1 or 2 times out of the week the fuel pump will have a 2 second delay as im starting it. The problem used to be alot worse. I'm just scared that one day, the car won't start.

If the main relay is the problem, thank you thank you thank you! Time to research on this issue.

I really hope you guys understand what the heck I'm trying to say

However, I don't think the relay has anything at all to do with your gas mileage problem.

Modified by sageuvagony at 11:49 AM 8/5/2008
Old 08-05-2008, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no del
Old 08-07-2008, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: #1 Common problem when getting bad gas mileage? (sageuvagony)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sageuvagony &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wow, you may have helped me discover a complete different problem. I too have the trouble where sometimes in a hot day, I turn the key, the starter/engine just spins untill all of the sudden, you hear maybe a click in the dash area, and the fuel pump come on. So the main relay causes this?

I know it's not the fuel pump since it's very strong according to my friend who tested it.

When this problem first started, I'd have to hold the key and attempt to start it and let it keep cranking and cranking for about 15 seconds untill I heard that "click" and fuel pump turned on (kills battery doing this.) I then discovered that I didn't need to crank the engine and wait for the click. I just turn the key to ON (the click where all the dash lights come on,) and just wait for that "click." When ever I hear that small click, is when the fuel pump turns on and starts to prime. This rarely happens now. Maybe 1 or 2 times out of the week the fuel pump will have a 2 second delay as im starting it. The problem used to be alot worse. I'm just scared that one day, the car won't start.

If the main relay is the problem, thank you thank you thank you! Time to research on this issue.

I really hope you guys understand what the heck I'm trying to say

However, I don't think the relay has anything at all to do with your gas mileage problem.

Modified by sageuvagony at 11:49 AM 8/5/2008</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sounds like it's probably a main relay problem. If it ever won't 'click', try tapping on the side of the dashboard with your door open. On some really hot days I have to do that to get my relay working. I'm too cheap to buy a new one or bother fixing the one I have now. lol