Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

[Help] with battery and Vtec engagement

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [Help] with battery and Vtec engagement

I searched the forum but nothing came up, and it's my first post so please bare with me.

Car: 2000 civic SI, basically stock (except header / intake)

About a week ago when SoCal got rained over really hard for like 3 days, water probably got into all my wiring and the whole car just went crazy after that.

- Tachometer jumps when I flick turn signals; or simply dead when I have my lights on
- Speedometer died
- Battery keep being drained
- No VTEC engagement, engine just revs up to 8k RPM but no sign of the switch

My primary concern is the fact that the battery keep on being drained after one day. First I thought my battery was bad, so I went and buy a new battery at Sears. Then the next day i notice my car started to jerk and losing power in the middle of the road, then the [new] battery died 5 minutes after that. I took off the alternator and have it checked, turns out to be bad so i bought a new one and installed it. At first everything seems fine, but the next morning the same thing happen, car starts like it runs on a 20 years old battery, and get the car about half a block then the battery died again (it was fully charged). My car doesn't have any amp all that crazy power sucking systems, just stock audio system.

Then comes with the VTEC problem. The problem seems to appear after i change out the alternator, but I still don't know why that is. I didn't mess with anything except taking out the fuel rail to replace the alternator.

My car is in the shop now, the mechanic says that something went wrong with my radio and it keeps staying on throughout the night. Still doesn't explain why my VTEC doesn't engage.

So could anyone help me with these problems? I know the speedometer could be fix later, either check the VSS or probably the cluster is dead (or blown fuse, who knows). Thank you in advance.
Old 12-26-2008, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: [Help] with battery and Vtec engagement

check the alternator wiring. its probably broken somewhere. also good idea to check the underhood fuse box.