Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

ALTINATOR HELP!!!!! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!DOESNT CHARGE THE BATTERY!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ALTINATOR HELP!!!!! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!DOESNT CHARGE THE BATTERY!!!!!

okay well my altinaor doesnt charge the battery at all! it used to work fine until one day i was driving and the car started to die. luckily i was able to make it back home. well i took the altinator off and took it to autozone and had them test it and they said it was good. so they said its probably my battery so i took in and they said that the battery was bad. so i got a new one and i installed it and then it started right up again. but the car is only running off the battery power so it dies out in about 10 mins or so. so i bought a new altinator and changed it and recharged the battery and its the same deal! so i stared the car back up and took off one of the battery post to see if the altinator was putting out any power at all. and it just dies so its not. would anyone know whats wrong? can anyone help a guy out? thanks in advanced. ive searched and came up with nothing!
Old 01-28-2007, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: ALTINATOR HELP!!!!! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!DOESNT CHARGE THE BATTERY!!!!! (Undercover_

check the plug at the ALTERNATOR and make sure none of your wires arent loose
Old 01-28-2007, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: ALTINATOR HELP!!!!! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!DOESNT CHARGE THE BATTERY!!!!! (Undercover_

Very annoying title, dont do it again.

Check your batt fuse and make sure its still connected (80A fuse underhood fusebox). If thats still good take a multimeter to the alt. while the cars running. You should read 14.1-14.9v, if thats reading those volts then go to the fuse and check the wire connected and see if thats making the volts. If it is move to the other. If theres anywhere that the volts arent being made fix that break.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

also check fuses, u might have a burnt fuse, make sure u check the fuses underneith the hood and dash
Old 01-28-2007, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Check your batt fuse and make sure its still connected (80A fuse underhood fusebox). If thats still good take a multimeter to the alt. while the cars running. You should read 14.1-14.9v, if thats reading those volts then go to the fuse and check the wire connected and see if thats making the volts. If it is move to the other. If theres anywhere that the volts arent being made fix that break. </TD></TR></TABLE>

That is a great place to start for sure, if you follow that, you should be good to go.
Also, you may want to check your terminals to make sure there isnt crazy buildup if you havent already, if there is enough buildup the battery wont charge.

Time to buy a multimeter if you dont have one, good luck
Old 01-28-2007, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

that fuse is fine...where do i put the multimeter to test the altinator?
Old 01-28-2007, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well, you can start at the terminals, then the battery posts, then on the alternator output (there is a rubber cap thig over it with a like 10gauge wire coming off of it) then you can try the positive wire that goes from the alternator to the fuse box thats in the engine.

Basically, your going to have to plug around, its just gonna take some trial and error, but somewhere, there WILL be a fault. Think of it as a current of water or something.

Edit: when testing, 14.8 volts or close is good, 12.5-11.5 or whatever is bad (this is assuming the car is at idle)
Old 01-28-2007, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok ill take a look at that in a bit...thanks anyone else
Old 01-28-2007, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

shouldnt the car still run off the altinator??? if i unplug the battery it just dies out.....
Old 01-28-2007, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Undercover_Skank &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">shouldnt the car still run off the altinator??? if i unplug the battery it just dies out.....</TD></TR></TABLE>yes it should still run...try running a seperate ground wire to the ALTERNATOR(correct spelling)
Old 01-28-2007, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ohh sorry...the ground is in the green plug right? i havent gone outside to look at it yet...its 16 degrees right now..its an eg btw

thanks
Old 01-28-2007, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Undercover_Skank &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ohh sorry...the ground is in the green plug right? i havent gone outside to look at it yet...its 16 degrees right now..its an eg btw

thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>thats the plug that goes to the alternator it should have 3 wires goin to it
Old 01-28-2007, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i just checked it and the alternator does put put 16volts when i put the volt meter directly onto it and then i went over and put it onto the batter theres only 11 volts while the car is running. while the car was off the battery had 12.2 volts..
Old 01-28-2007, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i just found the problem. the alternator wire that goes to the fusebox was corroded under there and when i went to wiggle it it just broke off so let me get that fixed and back on and it should be fine
Old 01-28-2007, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hope I helped out with that. Normally, if its not a fuse and its not a alternator or battery, its always some corrosion somewhere. Glad you got it figured out
Old 01-28-2007, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks