Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

[FAQ] Y8 Oil starvation ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Y8 Oil starvation ? (EX_AutoXer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EX_AutoXer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Finally, this is the info I've been looking for. I was beginning to think the whole thing was BS, and that people just didn't know how to check oil or maintain their motors. Although, the reason I was posting to this thread at all is this is the first I've heard of it; I'm suprized this hasn't come up before. Just wanted to get to the bottom of this.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

To be honest, I am not convinced that the problem exists.
Old 11-19-2004, 02:45 PM

Default Re: Y8 Oil starvation ? (RyanCivic2000)

bc ryan you can treat a motor well, either that or you have a fluke motor

if you want tips on how to modify the block i suggest you check out http://www.theoldone.com

they did a article on modifying a y8 block
Old 11-19-2004, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RyanCivic2000 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Engines don't "hide" oil. It sounds to me like you don't know how to check your oil.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
No need to be an ***. Im just going to wait till you blow your motor up and come on here and laugh at you. ANd say something stupid like that. Obiviously there is a problem with the oiling system in that particular block series. You must just be blind and not see it. Also seeing that two people have posted links on this problem and also one of them is a way to correct the problem, so that would most likely mean that there is something wrong with that motor. And if you dnt have a problem with yours the Kudos to you.
Old 11-19-2004, 04:09 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RyanCivic2000 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

So you think it's evaporating into thin air or what? It's not blowing up your motors.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good job being an ***-hat. I'm actually a friend of sohcvtec1995 and was there throught the whole experience. As a matter of fact, everyone i've ever known with a Y series has had a similiar problem. We all referre (sp?) to it as the disapearing oil trick so it was not to be taken literaly. It's nice that you're being so helpfull as to tell him that he's lying when you obviously don't know the situation or were taking what he said literally.
Old 11-19-2004, 04:11 PM

Default Re: Y8 Oil starvation ? (Revolver)

Also, we all know how to "check our oil and properly maintain our motors" so that is obviously not the issue.
Old 11-19-2004, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not being an asshat, you guys are the ones that can't find your "disappearing" oil.

Believe me I know the Y8 block and head inside and out. It doesn't "hide" any oil.
Old 11-19-2004, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Common problem on B motors is spinning a bearing on the track. The problem is two fold.

1) High RPM runs will consume more oil than normal

2) High G forces on corners will cause oil to slosh away from the oil pickup and cause a spin bearing (oil pressure drops).

So for example, my R with 35K miles on it will go through, perhaps 1/4-1/2 a quart in a 25 minutes session at the track. So, every run I add more oil. I also usually run 1/2 a quart more than needed to help with the oil slosh problem.

A common upgrade is to use a baffled oil pan like the Moroso or Mugen which keeps oil from sloching away from the pickup.

As to why the B consumes oils, running 8K plus RPM's seems to overload the oil ring so, more oil than normal gets by. ALSO at high rpm's, B engines tend to push oil both through the PVC system AND the breather (valve cover).

I'm not clear if the same thing is true of the D motor. Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in. I doubt any honda motor has an oiling problem as long as you keep oil in it and drive like a sane person.

Old 11-19-2004, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RyanCivic2000 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm not being an asshat, you guys are the ones that can't find your "disappearing" oil.

Believe me I know the Y8 block and head inside and out. It doesn't "hide" any oil.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Well maybe you just have not had to deal with a bad one then, but we have dealt with at least 3. So as far as saying that have a problem with our disappearing oil, that is irrelavent since you have no idea about it.
Old 11-19-2004, 07:31 PM

Default Re: Y8 Oil starvation ? (alotawatts)

Okay since I opened this can-of-worms thread about Y8's oil supply earlier today I will poll all of my local Riceburner repair shops and report back with what I hear. I'll focus on the non-dealership shops. Odds are Honda Corp does'nt want this to be a known problem ...if it truly is.
Maybe y'all can do the same ?
CH 97 EX Coupe D16Y8
Old 11-19-2004, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Y8 Oil starvation ? (sohcvtec1995)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sohcvtec1995 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Well maybe you just have not had to deal with a bad one then, but we have dealt with at least 3. So as far as saying that have a problem with our disappearing oil, that is irrelavent since you have no idea about it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's not whether I've dealt with one or not, it's a fact. Oil doesn't just disappear. The oil is either burning (i.e. seeping past the rings, valve seals into the combustion chamber) or it is leaking from somewhere. That's all there is to it. It's not a problem just the Y8's have, it's a problem any higher mileage engine can encounter.
Old 11-20-2004, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

He's 100% right so, I'm not sure why it's an arguement. With Cats in todays cars, many smokers don't show visible smoke any more because it's burned up in the cat. It leaks or is burned. ALL cars burn oil. A quart in 1000 miles isn't considered excessive to car companies.

This really doesn't matter here either. If you let your engine get low on oil and toast a motor, you have only yourself to blame. To me, low is anything less than 1/2 way on the fill line. I check my oil every 2-3 days. It takes what, 30 seconds?
Old 11-20-2004, 03:00 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sohcvtec1995 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Well maybe you just have not had to deal with a bad one then, but we have dealt with at least 3. So as far as saying that have a problem with our disappearing oil, that is irrelavent since you have no idea about it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ryan knows more about these motors then you could ever aspire, stop beings such a friggin cry baby newb shut your mouth and learn something and stop thinking that your engine hides oil
Old 11-20-2004, 04:30 PM

Default Re: Y8 Oil starvation ? (hondapimp69)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondapimp69 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

ryan knows more about these motors then you could ever aspire, stop beings such a friggin cry baby newb shut your mouth and learn something and stop thinking that your engine hides oil</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, good one. Sounds like you're just a tag along and don't know much yourself. Like I said previous, we reffere to it as hiding as a joke. Learn to read. Yay, i'm glad that he knows a lot about the motor. Heres a cookie. One person on the internet doesnt say much to me against dozens of people in real life, that I know personally, with a similiar problem. Speak when you're spoken to, ***.
Old 11-20-2004, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondapimp69 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

ryan knows more about these motors then you could ever aspire, stop beings such a friggin cry baby newb shut your mouth and learn something and stop thinking that your engine hides oil</TD></TR></TABLE>

Whos the newb here when we all joined the same year *******. People, when we say "hides" oil its nothing more than a ******* joke. We know a car doesnt have a mind of its own and just hides oil from us just to be funny. Get a ******* sense of humor. But, these Y series blocks do have an oil consumption problem. I have a y5 and I check my oil every week and it is always low. Ive had 2 friends that already have blown there motors because of this problem. All and all Y series blocks have oil consumption problems.
Old 11-20-2004, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Y8 Oil starvation ? (HXvtec)

Sounds like we're down to it then. People don't check their oil often enough and toast motors. The original post was about "oil starvation" problems. It doesn't sound like a "starvation" problem to me. More like "careless driver" problems.
Old 11-20-2004, 06:06 PM

Default Re: Y8 Oil starvation ? (MasterKwan)

this is a really weird issue i had never heard of. most of my buddies rock the d16y engines and none have ever complained about em. hopefully this isnt as common of a problem as some are stating, cuz lately ive been losing confidence in honda
Old 11-20-2004, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Y8 Oil starvation ? (MasterKwan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MasterKwan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sounds like we're down to it then. People don't check their oil often enough and toast motors. The original post was about "oil starvation" problems. It doesn't sound like a "starvation" problem to me. More like "careless driver" problems. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Its not that we dnt check our oil. it is when we DO check it, it is always a different level. Also if you read the whole thread then you would understand where I am coming from. I have a 95 ex now, with the z6 in it, and i have not have any kind of oil consumption problem with it. But yet my 97 ex that i had did have the problem. Maybe it is just a couple of the motors that where having this problem. So have your .02 cents back.
Old 11-20-2004, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondapimp69 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">y8's in general just have bad oiling, the oil pumps are in general usually crap and dont get oil properly (partly the cranks fault also having bad oilage passages) to the bearings imparticular the #4, everytime out of the dozens ive seen y8s crap out its always always ALWAYS #4</TD></TR></TABLE>
And you cant really say anything abot your friend seeing that you said this early.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

And you cant really say anything abot your friend seeing that you said this early.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What he said had nothing to do with an oil consumption problem. He was talking about oil starvation from a possible flow or pressure issue. Two entirely different issues.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Y8 Oil starvation ? (HXvtec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HXvtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
People, when we say "hides" oil its nothing more than a ******* joke. We know a car doesnt have a mind of its own and just hides oil from us just to be funny. Get a ******* sense of humor. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh really?

It has to be going somewhere. I just know that if you check your oil one day it will be fine, but then the next day if you check it it will be a quart or 2 low. So of course you would add some. But then you can check it again and it will be a quart over.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That sounds to me like he seriously thinks it is hiding. Either that or he doesn't know how to fill up his oil.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:31 AM

damn yall get butt hurt on here, all i was saying was stop whining, yes the y8s have problems, yes what i said is true, yes i know more about these motors then you ever will, so you have 3 options, 1 you can just put in a z6 or a6 block and not worry about **** y blocks, or 2 you can goto http://www.theoldone.com read their right up on how to modify the oil pump, the bearings and the crank, also if you reallllyyy wanna get technical you could smooth out the rough edges inside the block where the oil might "catch" allowing for better flow or 3 you can shut your mouth stop wasting time complaining and get a working motor or dont drive a honda

Old 11-21-2004, 11:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondapimp69 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">damn yall get butt hurt on here, all i was saying was stop whining, yes the y8s have problems, yes what i said is true, yes i know more about these motors then you ever will, so you have 3 options, 1 you can just put in a z6 or a6 block and not worry about **** y blocks, or 2 you can goto http://www.theoldone.com read their right up on how to modify the oil pump, the bearings and the crank, also if you reallllyyy wanna get technical you could smooth out the rough edges inside the block where the oil might "catch" allowing for better flow or 3 you can shut your mouth stop wasting time complaining and get a working motor or dont drive a honda

</TD></TR></TABLE>
my motor is just fine, just to let you know. and you keep contradicting yourself so maybe you should shut your mouth cause your just a tag along of ryancivic2000

Oh really?

That sounds to me like he seriously thinks it is hiding. Either that or he doesn't know how to fill up his oil.</TD></TR></TABLE>
It is just what we have been saying. Seeing that there is no other explaination on this. When i had this motor it would do something with the oil. And like i previously stated, we could check it and it would be under, add some, then two days later it would be over. So how bout you explain to me where the oil went. Seeing that i could not have burnt it, or leaked it cause its over, not under. But the one thing i can say is that i am glad i dnt have that stupid block anymore, and that im happy with my z6.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:33 AM

and you look like a post ***** that wastes time
Old 11-22-2004, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my brother (turbo_CRX) has had many experiences with the y8's blowing up because of the poor oil channels. He has personally taken apart and plasma chopped a y8 and z6 in half and has compared crank lobe designs, oil pump designs, oil channel designs, etc. to produce the best possible all motor low budget d-series and to answer the question why these d16y8's are having this problem. He ran a boosted y7 for about 2 months really really hard and recently took it apart and has noticed that the number 4 cyl main bearing has been starved of oil because of the heat marks and crush level of the #4 bearing as compared to the rest. He thinks it has to do something with the crank design and the way the oil enters the crank journel. It seems to be consistently burning oil in the #4 piston, bypassing the oil ring and burning. also if you do not change your pcv filter there is a really good possibility that the rings can be going there too because of the difference of oxygen in that cylinder as compared to the others because of the clogged pcv. He has noticed that along with other engines as well that the #3 piston usually cracks, or ringlands go because of the pcv system. his suggestion is to run a filter on teh crank case or to rig up a pcv system yourself.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:38 AM

Default Re: (wpgcivic)

Ryancivic2000

I was not fabricating the y8/z6 oil pump differences we discussed last month, there are issues with the y8!!

Quick Reply: [FAQ] Y8 Oil starvation ?